W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any hiccups with the 80mm TB kits...??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Are there any hiccups with the 80mm TB kits...??

It seems like every time I read a thread about driveablilty issues with larger throttlebodies (hiccups, CELs, etc) it's related to the 82mm TB kit.... am I right, or have people also had weird issues when upgrading to the 80mm kits???

I have no patience for "upgrade" parts that cause driveability issues, throw error codes, or require constant fussing to work properly... At times I have thought that a larger TB would be a good way to add power (without adding extra heat) but I'm just not 100% sure if a more modest 80mm TB swap would be trouble-free or not?

It also seemed like the 80mm kits MIGHT be able to reuse the intake snout without an adapter plate, though the hole pattern needs to be welded up and re-drilled.

-G
Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
The only issues that I've heard of with the 80 mm are when people switch to the 82 mm and get drivability issues then they switch back to the 80 mm that they originally had no problems with and it starts to act up with them after the reinstall....if that maks any sense... I haven't been around very long, but I do read the forum a lot. I have an 80 mm sitting on my kitchen table and needs to go on (with the new snout)... you just got to pull the supercharger to do it, I guess I'll change my supercharger oil at the same time probably won't get around to it for a month or two, so I won't be able to update till then. To my knowledge, certain cars have issues with the 82 mm and certain cars don't, but I would like to know is the cars that don't have a problem with 82 mm, if they switch to a 90 mm if it's still all good....sorry for the rant but this is one of the reasons that I got the 80 over the 82......
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks. That's kind of where my head is at also.... The 80mm may not offer as much ultimate HP as the 82mm kit does, but if it's 100% trouble-free then it's the better choice for me....

I've got enough going on in my life that I just don't have time to tinker around with problematic parts. And this car needs to get me reliably to work everyday whether it's 80F outside or -10F....

-G
Old 12-04-2013, 10:49 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
The 80mm is not worth changing out to VS price and time spent. IMO The 80 mm is really 78mm if you measure blade to blade size and that is what counts. The 82mm is a lot larger and blade is 82mm, so the area of flow is a lot larger. Never saw any driving issues but if the seal was not good or any vacuum leaking, then a rough idle can happen and the code for the TPS comes on.. Yes frustratiing to get out and do a TB reset but the below advice took care of all mine. I would only get a code every 4 months or so, so it was not daily but then had it fixed.

The fix is to make sure you have a good seal, have tuner raise idle a tad and also raise the TPS sensor values. I never had any issues after that on my car.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-04-2013, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
I had both 80 mm TB kit which I got from Kleemann ,then 82 mm MB throttle body which I had to modify snout and y pipe to make work,thanks to lowprofile,s thread on how to do it,NO drivability problems hiccups or check engine light , there is welding involved to get material in place to drill and tap 2 holes so the stock MB tb will fit,other mods are 168 cp,84 mm upper Kleemann cams and headers,PTE thermostat,extra heat exchanger,trunk tank,kleemann TCU upgrade,high flow air filters,quaife diff,Dashdaq XL with Zeitronics dual Wideband sensors,cooler heat range spark plugs