Towing on a trailer: Dos and Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Towing on a trailer: Dos and Don'ts?

Aight, I'm moving on Friday and will be towing the Bizzenz on a trailer behind the moving truck. Anyone have some lessons learned from previous towing excursions?
-Suspension: raised or lowered?
-Tie-down points: Wheels only, or hooked to the frame or suspension?
-Disabling alarm... how?
-Which are cooler, cats or dogs?

Anything else I'm missing?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by Denroll
Aight, I'm moving on Friday and will be towing the Bizzenz on a trailer behind the moving truck. Anyone have some lessons learned from previous towing excursions?
-Suspension: raised or lowered? raised
-Tie-down points: Wheels only, or hooked to the frame or suspension? both for safety. if I remember right you need 4 straps down on any car when towed
-Disabling alarm... how? tow hook button on the top light
-Which are cooler, cats or dogs? cats

Anything else I'm missing?
saved a few hundred towing her myself. I don't trust anyone else

Towing on a trailer: Dos and Don'ts?-h9vjb4d.jpg
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
Be careful with the Uhaul built-in straps that go over your front tire. They tend to work themselves loose, and that chain is back is not much good. Some additional tie-downs are recommended. I had those tire straps come loose once, after exiting the highway and leaving the traffic light..I accelerated and felt a big lurch, and watched in horror as the car on the trailer rolled backwards..off the trailer!! It had a manual trans... I punched the gas and it rolled off and drifted towards the car behind me...stopping within a few feet. The lady gave me a nasty look LOL...
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
You can remove the uhaul lips at the front of the trailer if you need extra clearance. The wheels straps can come undone. As long as the weight of the vehicle is centered properly on the trailer, you should be fine. I usually wrap the chain provided around the rear subframe.

Get 2x4s and use them to load the car up on the ramp so you can clear the departure angle. You can cut the 2x4 pieces 4' long.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I'm partial to flatbed trailers vs one axle.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
ALARM- unlock the car and open and close the driver door. The alarm will not go off. Just make sure you lock the car when ever you stop.

I've used a UHaul trailer every time. I've gone to ATL to race with chawkins and even taken it all the way to MIR. I've taken it to PBIR on a regular basis and never had any problems. I've only used the front straps that wrap around the front tires. It's all in how you drive, PERIOD!

I've driven trucks with trailers since I was 16. If you drive like an a$s, you will have problems. Remember, you are pulling your baby, so think of it like it's your child. You wouldn't drive like an a$s while your infant is on board, right. Just my 02!

I use my Navigator since I don't have a truck and I also used it to tow my boat.

Last edited by RedBullJnky; 12-17-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Good gouge. Thanks, fellas.

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
If you tie it down to the subframe and wheels, it won't matter what position the suspension is in. Suspension just raises the body of the car.

You could pull the fuse for the alarm if you need to have the car locked.

Oh, and dogs lol

Last edited by Quick55; 12-18-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Quick55
If you tie it down to the subframe and wheels, it won't matter what position the suspension is in. Suspension just raises the body of the car.
Incorrect. The Subframe rises and lowers with the body. Lower control arms are relatively motionless but will still move when raising and lowering the car.

Two ways to tie down a car on a trailer.

1) rachet straps to tow points front and rear. This relies on tension pulling forward and rearward and allows a small amount of chassis float and makes for a very stable trailer

2) Tire/wheel hold downs. All four wheels must be tied down, don't just do the fronts. This is a full float method using both the trailers and the chassis suspension to provide a very smooth ride for the car at the expense of a very stable trailer.

I am not a fan of a hybrid tie down (Two wheels and the opposite end tow hooked)
Old 12-18-2013, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Incorrect. The Subframe rises and lowers with the body. Lower control arms are relatively motionless but will still move when raising and lowering the car.

Two ways to tie down a car on a trailer.

1) rachet straps to tow points front and rear. This relies on tension pulling forward and rearward and allows a small amount of chassis float and makes for a very stable trailer

2) Tire/wheel hold downs. All four wheels must be tied down, don't just do the fronts. This is a full float method using both the trailers and the chassis suspension to provide a very smooth ride for the car at the expense of a very stable trailer.

I am not a fan of a hybrid tie down (Two wheels and the opposite end tow hooked)

You're right, it's late and I'm not thinking lol.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Before U-haul stole it out of my driveway, I actually used to legitimately own a u-haul car hauler and now own an enclosed trailer to haul my toys.

I have a couple of tricks to save you some of the pain that was described earlier of the car rolling off the trailer.
First, raise the car to give yourself a little extra clearance. The front lip on my trailer was not removeable. Some u-hauls are, but most aren't. Some are also taller. Mine was.

When using the wheel straps, after you have ratcheted them down and secured the safety chains, put the car in neutral and tighten them more to take out any remaining slack between the wheels and the trailer lip you may have missed. Then put the car back in park and make sure you have the e-brake engaged.

Absolutely positively use the safety chains!!!!!!!!! When used properly, they work. Axle, sway bar, arms are fine to wrap it around. The chain can be hooked back into it's loop if you can not get it to hook onto the opposing side. The point of it is the give the car a chance to not fly off the trailer and kill someone should you have pulled a bonehead maneuver and left the car in rolling fashion.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Make sure you turn off the freakin alarm, otherwise every time you pull off, it will sound lol. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
Before U-haul stole it out of my driveway, I actually used to legitimately own a u-haul car hauler
I'd like to hear the story on that one!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Shifter
I'm partial to flatbed trailers vs one axle.
Definitely
Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by G_Money
I'd like to hear the story on that one!
Bought a used U-haul car hauler, had it parked in my driveway. U-haul for some reason came by my house, decided it was theirs and seized it damaging the side of my house in the process. To avoid prosecution, they "bought it back" and paid for the damage.