Sponsored by:

SBC INSTALL REPAIR AND QUESTIONS THREAD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sl500
SBC INSTALL REPAIR AND QUESTIONS THREAD

as some sbc pumps are reaching the 10 year expire date for free replacement. many consumer may turn to used sbc pumps for installation.

Started this thread for anyone who has info about install prodcedures and coding information.

from what i have learned if you have a star diagnostic system with developer mode. installation of a used sbc pump might be possible.

there are many different part number for the sbc pump with many different software versions.

in developer mode if might be possible to copy the dump file software in the sbc pump ecu then transfer file to the used unit by erasing the dump file software in the used unit and the transfering dump file software from old sbc unit to the used unit.

in developer mode there should be no need for scn coding.

im not sure but i think people and indie shops have problems coding new units because they try to code in the regular star menus. i can cause problem because of different software version used through out different units.

also one thing im comfused about when sbc has reached exceeded number of pedal accuation (error code c249f) is if you get the white visit workshop screen (where you still have normal braking) or the red warning brake defective (where you lose 90% of braking ability).

in developer mode you have the ability to reset the counter.
after resetting the counter does this get rid of the white warning only or does it get rid of the red warning also.

also has anyone ever replaced the carbon brushes on the sbc pump and if so could you post the procedure and or where to get the carbon brushes for the sbc pump.

if you have info and diffferent sbc pump compatibility with different cars and years please post
Old 01-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Reviving an old thread. Did you ever find the pump motor brush part number? My car is on its 3rd new mb sbc unit, I'm rebuilding this one. If you haven't, stay tuned for part numbers.

Originally Posted by kennethcole79
as some sbc pumps are reaching the 10 year expire date for free replacement. many consumer may turn to used sbc pumps for installation.

Started this thread for anyone who has info about install prodcedures and coding information.

from what i have learned if you have a star diagnostic system with developer mode. installation of a used sbc pump might be possible.

there are many different part number for the sbc pump with many different software versions.

in developer mode if might be possible to copy the dump file software in the sbc pump ecu then transfer file to the used unit by erasing the dump file software in the used unit and the transfering dump file software from old sbc unit to the used unit.

im not sure but i think people and indie shops have problems coding new units because they try to code in the regular star menus. i can cause problem because of different software version used through out different units.

also one thing im comfused about when sbc has reached exceeded number of pedal accuation (error code c249f) is if you get the white visit workshop screen (where you still have normal braking) or the red warning brake defective (where you lose 90% of braking ability).

after resetting the counter does this get rid of the white warning only or does it get rid of the red warning also.

also has anyone ever replaced the carbon brushes on the sbc pump and if so could you post the procedure and or where to get the carbon brushes for the sbc pump.

if you have info and diffferent sbc pump compatibility with different cars and years please post
Old 01-23-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by kennethcole79

I used STAR to reset the pump cycle and pedal cycle and it was a white warning.

what parts are needed for a rebuild?
The following users liked this post:
adabuf (01-22-2018)
Old 01-25-2016, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I was hoping someone would have some solid info on this ... our cars are getting older now. The SBC is the part I am most afraid of failing, cos when it does, you have just about no brakes. With as much performance as our cars have, this would be extremely dangerous. I usually try to replace things before they actually break, but these SBC units are so expensive .. not exactly a maintenance item.

Apparently Bosch sells remanufactured Electrohydraulic units. Don't know if anyone has tried this yet. It would make a lot of sense to do this especially from the manufacturer. Should be much cheaper than a new one.

http://de.bosch-automotive.com/en/pa...ms_2/ehb/ehb_1
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Bba reman offers a rebuild service in the neighborhood of 400 with a warranty. I'm pretty certain that it would include disassembling the valve block to check for debris, and replacing the motor brushes, and probably a new accumulator. Considering the motor does all the work of building pressure, that would be my first concern.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Nice ... I was actually going to mention BBA Reman. I have used them on a Passat's ABS module years ago. I checked their website a while ago but it did not mention SBC rebuild/reman. They have excellent service from my previous experience. I checked just now and they are $525 + shipping.

Originally Posted by slosew82
Bba reman offers a rebuild service in the neighborhood of 400 with a warranty. I'm pretty certain that it would include disassembling the valve block to check for debris, and replacing the motor brushes, and probably a new accumulator. Considering the motor does all the work of building pressure, that would be my first concern.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by turbo97se
Nice ... I was actually going to mention BBA Reman. I have used them on a Passat's ABS module years ago. I checked their website a while ago but it did not mention SBC rebuild/reman. They have excellent service from my previous experience. I checked just now and they are $525 + shipping.
Since you can buy the Re-manufactured units from Mercedes wholesale for about $800 ... I would be inclined to get the unit from Mercedes .... HOWEVER, I have (gotten 2 from Mercedes now) ... And while my original SBC lasted 10 years ... the replacement lasted little more than a year (but long enough to be out of the 1 year part warranty). Changing the unit is not particularly tough, but it is a bother.

I would NEVER recommend anyone install a used SBC (even if it is still good, it likely needs to be programmed for your car). Remans from Mercedes come with the latest programming (that is for your specific application, I would presume) so you don't have to go to the dealer or find someone who has their star linked to mercede's database for more programming (I would check with BBA to see if their units will have the latest programming for your application when they send it back).

Worth mentioning, after you replace the SBC, if you plug your car into an offline star das, it will say that you need to update the programming (as it does not know one way or the other since you are off-line) , but if you have gotten it from Mercedes, you can disregard (as it has the latest already).

Hope that helps,
Chris
Old 01-26-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sl500
theres no part number for the brushes. just have to measure and buy the size you need from a electronic supply shop
Old 01-26-2016, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the information, it is indeed helpful. But why would you be inclined to get a unit from Mercedes when it lasts a little over a year? That'd be almost $800 a year in running costs for this. Personally, I would be inclined to get a reman from Bosch if possible.

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Since you can buy the Re-manufactured units from Mercedes wholesale for about $800 ... I would be inclined to get the unit from Mercedes .... HOWEVER, I have (gotten 2 from Mercedes now) ... And while my original SBC lasted 10 years ... the replacement lasted little more than a year (but long enough to be out of the 1 year part warranty). Changing the unit is not particularly tough, but it is a bother.

I would NEVER recommend anyone install a used SBC (even if it is still good, it likely needs to be programmed for your car). Remans from Mercedes come with the latest programming (that is for your specific application, I would presume) so you don't have to go to the dealer or find someone who has their star linked to mercede's database for more programming (I would check with BBA to see if their units will have the latest programming for your application when they send it back).

Worth mentioning, after you replace the SBC, if you plug your car into an offline star das, it will say that you need to update the programming (as it does not know one way or the other since you are off-line) , but if you have gotten it from Mercedes, you can disregard (as it has the latest already).

Hope that helps,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
adabuf (01-22-2018)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by turbo97se
Thank you for the information, it is indeed helpful. But why would you be inclined to get a unit from Mercedes when it lasts a little over a year? That'd be almost $800 a year in running costs for this. Personally, I would be inclined to get a reman from Bosch if possible.
I suppose I could have been clearer.

In general, the price difference between having BBA rebuild your unit and getting one from Mercedes would make me inclined to get it from Mercedes so that I know it has the correct/latest programming.

HOWEVER, since my replacement that I got lasted barely more than a year, I would explore the BBA option were I to do this again.

AND worth pointing out, Mercedes ONLY supplies Bosch Re-manufactured units (for this application at least) SO, if you have a source for the Bosch reman that is cheaper (and/or has a better warranty) than Mercedes wholesale then you may want to go that way assuming they come with the latest programming (I just checked with VIC at Husker whom I get the best pricing from and they have the SBC for $805 plus $153 core).

So to recap
I have NO reason to suspect that you will have any better luck with a Bosch reman than a mercedes supplied (Bosch)reman .... which in my experience (and that of the 2nd poster is this thread as well it would seem) is not as good as the original .... SO, I would check out the warranty of BBA and consider that option

my $.02
Chris
Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
So wait, is Mercedes not offering new units but only remaned units?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
So wait, is Mercedes not offering new units but only remaned units?
I can't speak for every application, but the applications I've bought and checked for have had only remans available. Have your VIN handy when you check as they can't find you any useful info without it.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E550 coupe
BBA WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not a reman!!!!

I have just got off the phone with BBA and for 525$ plus shipping all they do is clear the C249F check operating time code, NOTHING ELSE. They are doing no other service to the unit. If you just want to clear the code there are tools you can buy on ebay for 30$ that will do the same thing. You are all welcome I just saved you 500$

BTW I am NOT recommending this procedure above as a solution, just providing the info. For my car I think I will be looking for a Bosh reman unit from a vendor with a lifetime warranty, and yes there are some out there
Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Clearing the code can be done in star also, however if you do it don't reset the counter to 0 that is not good but many have put it at 50%. The sw is made to go bad much before the actual unit is bad
Old 09-27-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E550 coupe
Yup have done some more looking into it and that's what I'm going to do, may also have a go at pulling to motor off the side of it and replacing the brushes