Sponsored by:

Speedriven Billet Trans Pans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Apologize 55 owners, misread billet pan fitment. My 63's do not have a stick.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
So the billet pan has a shelf in it that makes the dipstick read correctly ?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
[QUOTE=betrezra;5891664]Any data on trans temp compared to stock?

We are noticing good temperature drops in stationary and even better when moving. Also when monitoring the temps at both 1/4 and track events we have found vast improvements with cooling.

Originally Posted by Crissus
Some food for thought:
These cars and trannies are made in Germany by Mercedes-Benz.
We have the legendary Autobahn here, where it is not unusual at many spots to go V-MAX for up to 30 minutes continuously (especially at night).
Don't you think the engineers of those transmissions, have kept such an extreme usage in mind, when designing the transmission including its cooling? Especially when its an AMG performance car?

If the cars where optimum then Brabus, Carlsson and so on wouldn't exist. There are many things that(AMG) and (Mercedes) do that are not optimum. For example your E55 has the same radiator/trans cooler as a e280cdi or e320 cdi. The way we look at it, these cars are not stock, making more power equaling more heat and stress on engine/trans components.

Not even the other well known larger German tuners developed something like that AFAIK, look at Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser, MKB, Väth, Hagmann, and so forth - as i believe they think its not neccessary.

Different companies have different priorities in what parts they make. For example we are still the only company that makes intercoolers for the v12tt motors, which are proven to give great horsepower and cooling.

Not to bash the vendor here, but i believe this item is unnecessary/i would like to hear your opinion on that item and correct me if i'm wrong with my assumptions.
Also i don't think adding more ATF volume is very good for various reasons - it takes longer to warm up, noone knows the perfect level now anymore, as the universal dipstick thats available will reach till the very bottom of this new pan, etc.

The pan is designed so that there is shelf replicating stock height from the oem pan. The is measured perfectly like original. It doesn't take much longer to heat up to operating temps.

EDIT: It might be totally different for continuous track races though, so please correct me if im wrong.

Its a known fact that these cars heat soak. If your stock cooling system is heat soaking, so is your trans

Originally Posted by betrezra
That was my orig comment. I believe the transmission needs a specific fluid level regardless of how much extra fluid is sitting below the stock pan bottom.

Answered above

This mod is common place in domestic th350 th400 and c4 trans where heat is a killer when running high stall converter with no lockup.

Also answered above

The question is will the extra heat dissipation of the extra sfc area of this lower slung pan matter vs the existing trans cooler.

Of course it matters, the entire valve body sits there and it is where the fluid is taken from.

Now bling factor is off the charts for sure and I don't see a downside to a little more volume and hear removal. All my humble opinion.
Originally Posted by Critter
Personally I am impressed with the billet trans pan, any time you add additional volume to a system there are benefits. Larger radiator from 3 to 4 core does not lower temps but gives added heat dissipation/volume. AMG uses a 9.5 liter engine oil capacity, why? because they must have seen issues with running a 5 0r 6 liter capacity,` More` usually means it has some benefit. Now for those cars that are lowered, there may be an issue with clearance to speed bumps and pot holes, just saying. The aluminum finned design should offer increased heat transfer over the steel component as well as the additional capacity which can absorb and transfer this heat efficiently. IMO
Would like to see one installed to observe the actual drop this pan will have below the other components, like the exhaust pipes which could serve as a heater to the sides of the deepened pan.

We were aware with clearance issue's. We designed this pan to fit under stock covers and have good clearance from the ground.

Originally Posted by Shifter
On the stock pan the dipstick bottoms out which then gives the co,responding reading on the dipstick. If the bottom is deeper( like ur 45 gallon drum) now the reading would be off. That is why as stated they had to put a shelf at sock height, to keep the reading accurate.

Yes a shelf was added to compensate for accurate fluid level readings

Last edited by Speedriven1; 01-02-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by cnterline
So the billet pan has a shelf in it that makes the dipstick read correctly ?

Correct
Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Pictures installed

Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
@Speedriven1, any idea when you are coming out with a billet pan for the 63's 7 speed trans. Impressed on the install pictures, could see putting a small scoop in the plastic cover to direct air around the pan. Looks nice and of course functional.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Critter
@Speedriven1, any idea when you are coming out with a billet pan for the 63's 7 speed trans. Impressed on the install pictures, could see putting a small scoop in the plastic cover to direct air around the pan. Looks nice and of course functional.

we are actually designing one currently
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Wooo Hooo! Thanks for the quick response, thought there might be happiness in 2014. Next question Speedriven1 can you bring the 63 billet in for like 50 bucks cheaper than the 55 pan just because we 63 owners are always the underdog and need the support.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Great tech response. Nice kit.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 e55 amg
Ok i put in for a order today. I will get it in black anodized. Ill post pics when i get it installed
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by Crissus
Some food for thought:
These cars and trannies are made in Germany by Mercedes-Benz.
We have the legendary Autobahn here, where it is not unusual at many spots to go V-MAX for up to 30 minutes continuously (especially at night).
Don't you think the engineers of those transmissions, have kept such an extreme usage in mind, when designing the transmission including its cooling? Especially when its an AMG performance car?
If your thoughts were correct, these cars would have come with something other than the most restrictive exhaust manifolds I have seen on a "performance" car. I guess these were optimally designed too?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 AM

06 e55 amg
Originally Posted by FASN8N
If your thoughts were correct, these cars would have come with something other than the most restrictive exhaust manifolds I have seen on a "performance" car. I guess these were optimally designed too?

Lol right on FASN8N, that guy sounds like an undereducated d-bag
Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Some pics of the kit without filter and gasket

Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Does the pan have any internal baffling ?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
I see the "Don't you think the Engineers considered this when making a car that can stay WOT for minutes on end at max speed" argument all the time, be it for AMG's or any other high-end performance car. Here's my take:

Do you need this pan on a stock car? Nope. The transmission cooling system is more than adequate.

Are any of these cars stock anymore? Nope. We mod the **** out of these things and push WAY more horsepower (and heat) than AMG considered.

We have PLENTY of guys running higher stalls in their 55's. Just that mod will throw the tranny up 40-70° in my experience. HEAT IS WHAT KILLS TRANSMISSIONS, so anything you can do to mitigate that heat is a step in the right direction towards longevity and reliability.

Long story short is that I think this could be a great mod for the guys with converters and big pulleys. It's also a beautiful piece.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by typhoon43
I see the "Don't you think the Engineers considered this when making a car that can stay WOT for minutes on end at max speed" argument all the time, be it for AMG's or any other high-end performance car. Here's my take:

Do you need this pan on a stock car? Nope. The transmission cooling system is more than adequate.

Are any of these cars stock anymore? Nope. We mod the **** out of these things and push WAY more horsepower (and heat) than AMG considered.

We have PLENTY of guys running higher stalls in their 55's. Just that mod will throw the tranny up 40-70° in my experience. HEAT IS WHAT KILLS TRANSMISSIONS, so anything you can do to mitigate that heat is a step in the right direction towards longevity and reliability.

Long story short is that I think this could be a great mod for the guys with converters and big pulleys. It's also a beautiful piece.

Thank you Typhoon couldn't have said that any better.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by cij911
Does the pan have any internal baffling ?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Is that the "Shelf" I see on the edge of the pan for allowance for fluid level correction that enables the OEM dip-stick, that qubed block, or where is this shelf?
Also, claims of lower temps both idling and running, do you have some actual empirical values to share? (For example, you see a 10% drop or 15 deg C drop? etc) I'm just trying to get some sense of observed temp improvements but realize this would be a general claim and could vary based on ambient and other factors.

Last edited by jnash; 01-10-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by jnash
Is that the "Shelf" I see on the edge of the pan for allowance for fluid level correction that enables the OEM dip-stick, that qubed block, or where is this shelf?
Also, claims of lower temps both idling and running, do you have some actual empirical values to share? (For example, you see a 10% drop or 15 deg C drop? etc) I'm just trying to get some sense of observed temp improvements but realize this would be a general claim and could vary based on ambient and other factors.
Yes I will get all the technical data in next week or so
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Banned

Speedriven
The shelf is that square(cube)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
WAY trick machining.

Kinda overkill though cutting out of a billet. You should get a mold made from this and start casting them to bring the price down
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
More cow bell!!!!!

I like it, I would love it with larger fins, you can never have too much in the fin department.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
^^^
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Probably not enough of a demand for them to make a cast IMO. I definitely want one for the new trans for my car, just to have a little extra capacity and something nice to look at when it goes on a lift

Originally Posted by msheredy
WAY trick machining.

Kinda overkill though cutting out of a billet. You should get a mold made from this and start casting them to bring the price down
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

Speedriven
If we do larger fins it will not fit under the stock covers. We see a bigger benefit with more fluid then bigger fins

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speedriven Billet Trans Pans