W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation in 2011 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily: '11 AMG E63, Weekly: '08 vette convertable w/a few mods, As needed: 3/4 ton 4X4
Hesitation in 2011 E63

I purchased a 2011 AMG E63 about 6 months ago. It is an awesome daily driver, more comfortable than my wife’s CTS and as fast as the C6.

There is hesitation, I believe caused by the transmission, is it normal for this transmission to cause hesitation under moderate (initial) acceleration?

When driven like a little old man it is smooth, when driven real hard it is fast and aggressive, in between it “stumbles” at initial acceleration. It feels like the transmission has to spool-up. When given moderate throttle the RPMs come up and there is a delay as the car (over about a second) transfers power to the wheels. My wife says it only did it once for her when starting to back up. I feel it all the time, it is aggravating.

I searched the forum achieves and found numerous similar complaints, all old posts. I am wondering if that means the owners learned to live with the hesitation or if they got it fixed. I hate giving up ˝ to a full day to take it to the dealer if they are not going to do anything.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Get it tuned. They can improve throttle response in the tune. Heard it was common.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Daily: '11 AMG E63, Weekly: '08 vette convertable w/a few mods, As needed: 3/4 ton 4X4
Thanks for the advice, maybe tomorrow, 1/2.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Update for others (with the same question).

Dealership says: hesitation at initial acceleration is normal for that car (2011 AMG E63).

I left the car (1/2 day as expected). Nothing found with engine/transmission.

The car had missed a software update which changed an electronic weirdness, changed not fixed. With the stereo turned off placing the car into reverse would turn the radio back on when the backup camera turned on. The radio would remain on even when shifting from reverse to drive. NOW the backup camera stays off if the stereo is off. I consider this a software work-around to poor engineering (wiring).