Sponsored by:

2006 E55 dead, no electrics after battery change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
2006 E55 dead, no electrics after battery change

The "Battery, Visit Workshop" light had come on a little while ago, and I had bought a new auxillary (sbc) battery and was planning to put it in this weekend. My wife left the parking lights on overnight and drained the battery. She came out to a dead car this morning. I installed the new (sbc) battery, and it was still dead. I tried to pop the trunk to put a charger on the main battery and it wouldn't open - no power for central locking. I tried the "blade" metal key in the trunk and it inserts and turns both ways fine (90° right, 45° left), but will not open the trunk. I tried putting pliars on the key for extra leverage, but it is at a hard stop and I do not want to risk breaking the key. With the key turned, I feel added resistance in the trunk release handle, but it will not release. I suspect the cable needs to be adjusted.

After much searching online, I found the main battery cable runs to the passenger side floorboard, and I put my charger on there (grounded to the main ground stud to the right, first at 2A with no change, then at 10A and I could hear systems start to turn on. I tried for the trunk again and no luck. I also heard some electronic buzzing around the fuse boxes that I did not like so I went back to 2A. Its been charging at 2A for 2hours, still no power. Is there a chance I blew a fuse? Any ideas on where to continue charging or how to get into the trunk (without disassembling the car)?

Thanks in advance. (PS, yes, I've searched, can't find any applicable help)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM

Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
clamp a jump starter box or jumper cables to the cable on the alternator its a bitvh to get too but i have had to do this several times then simply pop the trunk
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
When you have the key in the trunk did you try twisting the key and pulling the latch
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 AM

'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MAN55LE
When you have the key in the trunk did you try twisting the key and pulling the latch
yes. I think its just gummed up, needs to be lubed, or R&R'd

So, a resolution of sorts. Time, and electricity were what I needed. This car has the biggest battery of any car I've ever owned, and I guess it needs LOTS of time to absorb a charge. After a few more ours left on the charger at 2A, bells ding, and lights come on when the door opens, AND the trunk opens under electrical power. So much more relieved that I didn't cook any of the electronics. . . but I should bite my tongue, there isn't enough juice to crank the engine, yet.

Also, good tip on the alternator cable clamp point.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Set lights to auto.