Sponsored by:

OT: Need some old school advice from the mechs out there

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
OT: Need some old school advice from the mechs out there

OK fellahs, my other vehicle is a 1986 Chevy Silverado C-10 with a 383 stroker(cam, race heads, built), 700R4 transmission(high stall, shift kits) and 3.73 gears and a locker.

I have 2 main issues.

1. I had the rear end rebuilt with a new locker. Now the shop cannot get the damn pinon form not leaking. It isn;t a lot but it comes out. The truck has been back in the shop 4-5 times when it starts. The vent tube is new, the carrier bearing is new, the pinion is new...everything has been replaced. Ideas?

2. Now for the main problem. The trasmission has less than 5k mile son it and is leaking like crazy! She still shifts correctly and runs liek a champ but you take the beast out for a drive, come home and there is fluid all over the cross member. It looks worst than it is because I don;t get any spots in the driveway though. The tranny pan has been replaced and retorqued. What else can this be? I also have bubbles in the fluid, which usually means it's low, but I still have bubbles when I topped her off.

Please help! Thanks in advance from all you old school mechanics! This truck is just like the one my Dad had before he passed away and is what I work on to relax. It's cheaper and easier to work on than our beast(whihc I also work on).

Josh
Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55 AMG
I know this is gonna said vague because I cannot remember what the hole was called, but when I had one of my Chevy work vans transmissions rebuilt it leaked fluid all over but only when it was driven. I took it back and the guy said there was a pin hole, I believe on the output shaft that they forgot to put a new piece/plug in that would throw fluid out while turning. Not sure if you have the same problem..