Sponsored by:

Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Originally Posted by stockC43
The best I can tell from the pix and putting a boroscope in mine, is that there is a 70* bend that connects the inlet to the u bend. When the chamber is opened up you " should" be able to see and remove it. I may try it on mine when this polar vortex frees up here in Chicago. I just don't want it to sound too hollow or chambered like a flowmaster if I remove all of the insulation.
So do you reckon that the simplistic diagram I drew up is basically correct? I am now thinking that maybe the muffler is just opened up to expose the small chamber, then cut out the inlet that connects to the 'u bend' and then block off the 2 holes that connect to the 'u bend'. In that way the inlet will come into the small chamber and then straight out through the 2 pipes to the tips. There may be no need to open up the main chamber at all
Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
That's exactly what I was thinking. Not sure where I stole this diagram from, may of been yours but it shows the direction of flow. I'm thinking just cut out the orange pipe, then block off the u bend along the blue line of the chamber.

Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.-c122382d-bee1-469e-bf3a-be96693067a6-1402-000000531056a44e_zps09a580ba.jpg
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM

E55 AMG WAGON 2004
That's exactly what I was thinking. Not sure where I stole this diagram from, may of been yours but it shows the direction of flow. I'm thinking just cut out the orange pipe, then block off the u bend along the blue line of the chamber.

Yep - that's exactly what I'm thinking

Not sure if anyone has done that before but to me seems a sensible idea but as said I really have no idea about these things.

I reckon you ought to man up and brave the cold and give this mod a go this w/e!!! Then report back to me your findings

Last edited by simon1966; 01-31-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Lol, well we'll see. I'm betting it won't happen this weekend though. 6-10" snow Saturday with the Super Bowl Sunday. The cars in the garage but ill be busy dealing with the snow.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM

E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Lol, well we'll see. I'm betting it won't happen this weekend though. 6-10" snow Saturday with the Super Bowl Sunday. The cars in the garage but ill be busy dealing with the snow.
Haha - I heard there may be some strange so called football game happening over there. Of course we play proper football this side of the pond

Good luck with the snow - I reckon its probably going to head our way.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Not sure why you would want to block the u-bend off - we just cut the u-section off completely and removed the sound deadening material. I would love to send you a video clip of my exhaust, but I am a moron and my 12 year old is not here to help me out.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by simon1966
Haha - I heard there may be some strange so called football game happening over there. Of course we play proper football this side of the pond

Good luck with the snow - I reckon its probably going to head our way.
Oh yea, your in England. Honestly I could care less about the Super Bowl but its a excuse to eat good food.

"James,
Not sure why you would want to block the u-bend off - we just cut the u-section off completely and removed the sound deadening material."

Without hearing one in person I would think it would sound to hollow or echoey for my taste. I'm not a fan of the chambered flowmaster sound and once you remove the material, there's no going back. I'm guessing removing the u bend "should" make it 50% louder with out changing the sound too much. This obviously is all trial and error though.
I would love to here yours if you could get some sound clips uploaded.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by James M
Not sure why you would want to block the u-bend off - we just cut the u-section off completely and removed the sound deadening material. I would love to send you a video clip of my exhaust, but I am a moron and my 12 year old is not here to help me out.
Hey James,
We can always get together again and I will bring my gopro to make a video of that beast of yours rumbling through the jungle!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM

03 E55 AMG
Sweet - what are you doing tomorrow? Thought you were flying this weekend?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 PM

03 E55 AMG
There is another thread going on this forum where the owner has ditched the muffler completely and just gone with a Y-section from the main pipe going into the two exhaust tips. This is very similar to what mine sounds like, but lets see if I can get a clip posted tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 PM

E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Originally Posted by James M
That made me laugh, you sound just like me with technology, I'm totally useless, I can't get any attachments or vids to work.

Anyway James, I can tell yours is going to sound like a beast with the system you have. 88mm pipes, no cats, long tube headers and gutted mufflers

Trouble is my car needs to sound reasonably subtle as I live close to my neighbours and visit clients in my car. It seems like stockC43 is on similar thought lines to me but then I'm making it up as I go along
Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 06 CLS63 AMG 14 E350 14 S550
Im thinking just cut the orange bit and leave the rest. So cut it at the chamber instead of the u bend. Then if you dont like it go back in there and blank off the u bend aswell.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 PM

E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Originally Posted by austingtir
Im thinking just cut the orange bit and leave the rest. So cut it at the chamber instead of the u bend. Then if you dont like it go back in there and blank off the u bend aswell.
Yeah that would be simpler and maybe with same results.

I would have thought the principle of opening the small chamber would have been looked at before though. I've only seen threads on opening the main chamber.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by chiromikey
I left the U-bend and length of the exit tubes intact because I decuced they were there to remove a specific frequency that this motor caused. If I just wanted loud I'd strap on any straight through design and call it a day. As a daily driver, I wouldn't trade my gutted mufflers for anything at this point. Very aggressive at wot, mildly aggressive from outside the car at idle, but from inside they barely sound more than stock except when you don't want them to.
I know this may be a lot to ask but can you take a couple of videos of your setup with your phone and post them?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Lawrence1
I know this may be a lot to ask but can you take a couple of videos of your setup with your phone and post them?
I can...but it won't be until I get back home next week.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bus Honda accord bus
I had my stock mufflers baffles cutout and all material removed

My advice is DO NOT CUT ANY METAL inside the muffler. I think removing the fiberglass stuff is ok

My mufflers ended up droning so bad they RATTLED THE MUFFLERS and it sounded like some beat up old truck.

The problem was I had hacked up the mufflers so and I couldn't easily return them to stock

So I had to pay $500 for some used oem ones.

I now have some 3" cutouts installed right before the stock mufflers and it sounds awesome!! Quiet when I want, screaming loud at the press of a button

IMO exhaust options include

1. Straight pipe. You can reinstall the muffler later if needed

2. Open muffler and only remove sound dreading. Again could reinstall if needed

3. Cut outs

The reason I stress not cutting the stock mufflers metal inside is the high price of a stock replacement or difficulty going back to stock. Think twice before hacking up your stock muffler I wish I would have!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
3" cutout. The electric motor valve part is not bolted up yet.

I also installed a wireless control, Was easy! The battery is in the trunk, so no wires to run
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.-image-1533737705.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Wire is dangling, about to hook it up

I used the optional downturns
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.-image-2654268157.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM

E55 AMG WAGON 2004
Originally Posted by Mulletmudbogger

My advice is DO NOT CUT ANY METAL inside the muffler. I think removing the fiberglass stuff is ok

My mufflers ended up droning so bad they RATTLED THE MUFFLERS and it sounded like some beat up old truck.

The problem was I had hacked up the mufflers so and I couldn't easily return them to stock

I now have some 3" cutouts installed right before the stock mufflers and it sounds awesome!! Quiet when I want, screaming loud at the press of a button

3. Cut outs

The reason I stress not cutting the stock mufflers metal inside is the high price of a stock replacement or difficulty going back to stock. Think twice before hacking up your stock muffler I wish I would have!

Great info Cheers

I hope to take my car into an exhaust shop this week and get them to have a quick look and decide which way to go. At this point I'm thinking of getting them to cut open the small chamber and cutting the main inlet so it discharges into the small chamber and therefore not going into the main chamber via the u-bend. Not sure what this will do but it will be interesting to see inside this chamber and try it out.

Would be great if someone had already tried this but.......
Old 02-02-2014, 10:35 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Omg I just realized that there is a video of the tectite grey e55 with the gutted mufflers on this thread THAT IS NOW MY CAR! Yup do not do what those photos show. The muffler rattles like a beehive at certain rpms

Here's a photo of a muffler shop reinstalling some oem mufflers and the cutouts

Notice the color of the car??
Attached Thumbnails Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.-image-3848326681.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Omg I just realized that there is a video of the tectite grey e55 with the gutted mufflers on this thread THAT IS NOW MY CAR! Yup do not do what those photos show. The muffler rattles like a beehive at certain rpms

Here's a photo of a muffler shop reinstalling some oem mufflers and the cutouts

Notice the color of the car??
What was the method you went with? Did you remove all of the wool insulation and leve the pipes in place? Did you cut everything out and leve a empty chamber? I remember seeing pix someware of someone who did that. Just trying to narrow down what doesn't work. I still think my idea about cutting out the orange bend in the small chamber should work, but who knows. we won't know untill somebody try's it and I think Simon might beat me to it.
Thanks for the words of caution

Duh, just reread your earlier post. So all of the visable perforated exposed pipes in the above picture were removed correct?

Last edited by stockC43; 02-02-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: I'm stupid. Lol
Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Yes, It was actually the previous owner who did everything, he's also a member on this forum, where I got he car There is a whole post he made talking about what he did He doesn't mention that the results rattled like a beehive He did a good job and it sounded awesome at full blast but the rattling muffler was a surprise even to him, (not his fault) I had to get those mufflers swapped out ASAP when I got he car I still think the cutouts are the way to go if your looking for crazy loud for cheap. I think the cutouts sound even better than the gutted muffler

Last edited by Mulletmudbogger; 02-02-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
I think another idea is to maybe keep all the stock internal bends and pipes but maybe replace the perforated pipes with solid straight pipes inside the muffler. I think the problem was the exhaust was dumping out inside the muffler and at certain rpms it rattled. Sounded really bad when it rattled.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:14 PM

Bus Honda accord bus
Did you cut everything out and leve a empty chamber?
I believe this is what was done. The previous threads show exactly what was done

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post5581028

Last edited by Mulletmudbogger; 02-02-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Glad to know my logic was correct...in this particular case, I'm not as dumb as I look!

3. Cut outs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on gutting stock E55 mufflers.