W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody used Kumho tires before? Any other tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I haven't decided on wheels yet but I am in desperate need of tires. Pretty sure I am ordering hankook of some kind... Offer amazing dry traction and ok wet traction. Its a perfect tire to burn off lots of
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Location: Gainesville, FL: In a garage or in a bar, or a garage with a bar in it.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55, 2011 Honda Push Mower (21 inch deck bishes)
I run the Invos on all 4 corners and love them. They don't particularly hook that well for me, but I'm over 500 at the wheels and REALLY need to get my adjustable lower arms installed. With my crazy camber from being lowered, I'm pretty sure only about 60% of the rear tire is actually contacting the pavement
Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by typhoon43
I run the Invos on all 4 corners and love them. They don't particularly hook that well for me, but I'm over 500 at the wheels and REALLY need to get my adjustable lower arms installed. With my crazy camber from being lowered, I'm pretty sure only about 60% of the rear tire is actually contacting the pavement
Thank you for your input.
I am on the fence about going with all four Invos or going Invos up front and Cont DWS for the rears (the DWS have good dry grip and they last long). Decisions, decisions...only two days until this tire sale is up in the other thread, too!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
I haven't decided on wheels yet but I am in desperate need of tires. Pretty sure I am ordering hankook of some kind... Offer amazing dry traction and ok wet traction. Its a perfect tire to burn off lots of
If you don't care about longevity, look at these

I almost bought them for my S, but a little pricey

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3
Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
I am on the fence about going with all four Invos or going Invos up front and Cont DWS for the rears (the DWS have good dry grip and they last long). Decisions, decisions...only two days until this tire sale is up in the other thread, too!
Although I loved my DWS, lasting long is NOT a word I would have used. 20,000 until cord in an A4 daily driver on all 4

But I will say they are the BEST ALL season tire I have EVER used
Old 03-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
If you don't care about longevity, look at these

I almost bought them for my S, but a little pricey

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3
was thinking about them for my rear tires... but I daily my car so they need to be ok in rain, the reviews don't sound promissing

Playing with the different tire sizes I think I came up with exactly what Im ordering...

Hankook Ventus V12s
Front: 255/35/18
Rear: 295/30/18

Both have an overall diameter equal to that of each other. The hankooks tend to run a tad thin which I am ok with cause they are going on 18x8.5" and 18x9.5"wheels...
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML500
Tires...

Hey guys, speaking of tires..what are some recommendations for tires for my 06 ML 500. looking for an overall good tire with budget in mind. Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by pecciaml500
Hey guys, speaking of tires..what are some recommendations for tires for my 06 ML 500. looking for an overall good tire with budget in mind. Thanks
I am sure someone in the W164 section could give you ideas
Old 03-14-2014, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
I am NO Michelin fan at all. Many reasons, but I have posted them hundreds of times. To be fair, I only had the PS2's. But there are MANY tires better than them and they are alot cheaper.

And yes, it all depends on what you are buying the tire for, grip, noise, longevity.

My PS2's only were quite
Agreed
I am thinking Nitto Invos for front and rear .... 245/275.

Anybody run this setup? Thoughts on dry grip (summer is coming up) and tread wear...
I ran that setup also. We only have dry and wet in SoFlo. Don't know what snow is. But the hook pretty good on our roads.

Originally Posted by typhoon43
I was mid 500 at the wheels and they hooked just fine, even at the track (1.7 60ft.). You my friend need to adjust you camber problem.

When I had DWS it was like driving on an unprepped track on slicks. I'm not a fan of them.

But then again it's not anyone else's money or car. Locations and temp changes vary between all of us. So it's basically what ever tire is best for you and your budget based on your own driving style and conditions.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
was thinking about them for my rear tires... but I daily my car so they need to be ok in rain, the reviews don't sound promissing

Playing with the different tire sizes I think I came up with exactly what Im ordering...

Hankook Ventus V12s
Front: 255/35/18
Rear: 295/30/18

Both have an overall diameter equal to that of each other. The hankooks tend to run a tad thin which I am ok with cause they are going on 18x8.5" and 18x9.5"wheels...
Just for thinking--- the Hankook ventus has a tread wear rating of 280.
Tire Rack---- (Discount Tire on Ebay has a $100 off per two purchased)
For $70 more the Pirelli P Zero Nero all season have TW rating of 400

For 120 more the Michelin Pilot AS/3 has a rating of 500

Honestly I have the Hankook's. I have read that cold weather they tend to slip a little due to being cold all the time. I have also been reading that around 5k miles in they start to noisen up a lot, to the point of taking the off the car before the tread wears out, and heavy rain driving they tend to hydroplane pending conditions. I take it all with a grain of salt, but rarely heard anything negative about the Pirelli or Michelin's. Price usually deters purchasers from those. PSS are great but I would want a little more all season for me. Spin or no Spin I think that is the real question https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
Old 03-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Just for thinking--- the Hankook ventus has a tread wear rating of 280.
Tire Rack---- (Discount Tire on Ebay has a $100 off per two purchased)
For $70 more the Pirelli P Zero Nero all season have TW rating of 400

For 120 more the Michelin Pilot AS/3 has a rating of 500

Honestly I have the Hankook's. I have read that cold weather they tend to slip a little due to being cold all the time. I have also been reading that around 5k miles in they start to noisen up a lot, to the point of taking the off the car before the tread wears out, and heavy rain driving they tend to hydroplane pending conditions. I take it all with a grain of salt, but rarely heard anything negative about the Pirelli or Michelin's. Price usually deters purchasers from those. PSS are great but I would want a little more all season for me. Spin or no Spin I think that is the real question https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
I have a whole sale account with tirerack... AND I run snow tires in the cold. I have winter where I am so I kinda need the tires for separate seasons. All seasons are basically useless to me, crap traction in the summer, no traction in the winter. In the summer I drive the car spiritedly, and I want a sticky tire that I can take to the drag strip, track, or Autocross even...
Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
I have a whole sale account with tirerack... AND I run snow tires in the cold. I have winter where I am so I kinda need the tires for separate seasons. All seasons are basically useless to me, crap traction in the summer, no traction in the winter. In the summer I drive the car spiritedly, and I want a sticky tire that I can take to the drag strip, track, or Autocross even...
Hankook, then go with the grippier ones than the Ventus 12's. Mine hookup fairly good but do spin even in second. Traction Nanny comes into play

Michelin-- PSS couldn't go wrong

Pirelli P Zero--- the real ones not the Nero's

Price diff for you would be minimal to go to the P's or M's for you, so I would try them out over the hankooks. But we are all different and have different tastes, that is what makes the world go round. I like the sidewalls of the Hankook's the best. Vertical and don't bow out around the rims.

Let us know what you do, and how it works out please. This appears to be a reoccurring thread.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Hankook, then go with the grippier ones than the Ventus 12's. Mine hookup fairly good but do spin even in second. Traction Nanny comes into play

Michelin-- PSS couldn't go wrong

Pirelli P Zero--- the real ones not the Nero's

Price diff for you would be minimal to go to the P's or M's for you, so I would try them out over the hankooks. But we are all different and have different tastes, that is what makes the world go round. I like the sidewalls of the Hankook's the best. Vertical and don't bow out around the rims.

Let us know what you do, and how it works out please. This appears to be a reoccurring thread.
grippier ones are not so great in the rain it seems. I drive the car I had poor experience with Pirelli on another vehicle and even at cost, I would rather pay half the amount for 90% of the performance of a Michelin PSS...
Old 03-15-2014, 03:08 AM

SL 500
Have Kumho ASTs 245/45/17 all around.
Not a stand out tire. Loudest tire I've had, like tractor tires. They are cheap, $110 each on tire rack. Manufactured in Korea. I plan on replacing mine asap.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 AM

\
Had Kumho's on my A4 audi qt, cheap tire but not the greatest for noise and wear,
Have Michelin pss on my x5 and love them, yes they are a lot more $$ but at least you can put the power down with these tires, and after all we drive Mercs that deserve only the best (lol) Will replace my Pirellis on my C63 also with Michelin pss after the winter is over here in Niagara! just my two cents...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by pecciaml500
Just put these on my GL450 and love them in ALL conditions. Now the car can actually go in the winter with those damm 20's on it.

NT420S, the link didn't work
Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
I had a question comparing the Michelin pilot supersports to the pilot all season AS3... the AS3 is a few bucks cheaper and has higher mileage rating -- any opinions between these two -- I have supersports on now but will need rears soon ....
Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Porsche 911 SC
Continental DWS have been the best tires I've owned. Good dry grip, GREAT wet grip, and they last forever. The biggest bonus - low noise after 5k+ miles. I would definitely recommend them
Old 03-17-2014, 05:42 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG
I almost bit on the Michelin PSS and went for the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position, even with the Michelin warranty getiing one third back I could not justify the price of PSS. The Bridgies finish # 2 in Car and Driver along with Tire racks reviews. They are very sticky in the dry and wet and quiet on the road, very nice ride similar to Michelin's. Happy with my purchase and great prices at Discount Tire or Tire Rack.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 0-60inAMG
I almost bit on the Michelin PSS and went for the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position, even with the Michelin warranty getiing one third back I could not justify the price of PSS. The Bridgies finish # 2 in Car and Driver along with Tire racks reviews. They are very sticky in the dry and wet and quiet on the road, very nice ride similar to Michelin's. Happy with my purchase and great prices at Discount Tire or Tire Rack.
I put those on my CTS-V right before winter and LOVE them. Great choice for your beast
Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 0-60inAMG
the bridgestone were the other tire I was thinking about... they weren't much different in price to what I was looking at
Old 03-21-2014, 12:03 PM

SL 500
Sound alike? specifics r important

the bridgestone were the other tire I was thinking about... they weren't much different in price to what I was looking at
Great thread, Im looking to replace noisy Kumhos ( 245/45/17 ASTs only H rated) that were on the car. As I research there are slight variation s of tires with dif consumer ratings (S2s, Sa3s) . And dif catagories , Extreme High Performance All Season,Performance All Season. AND even dif speed ratings for same tire . Recall one Michelin available as a W or a Z. So be detail oriented in your hunt for the right tire.
QUESTION , in last example of identical tire with two speed ratings available, which would have softer , quiter ride? Even as temps dropped to freezing? Thanks guys.

Last edited by cigarette.888; 03-21-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

my tires came in, theyre amazingly big
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by hayseed
I had a question comparing the Michelin pilot supersports to the pilot all season AS3... the AS3 is a few bucks cheaper and has higher mileage rating -- any opinions between these two -- I have supersports on now but will need rears soon ....
From what I remember looking at

PSS- more of a summer tire, great grip, but when cold they act up, similar to the Conti DW

AS3- all season performance tire, good for rain and cold weather. Similar to the conti DWS

The read wear rating --- the higher it is the harder the tire, thus more mileage out of them typically. Thats why you see track tire with a 140 rating. Compared to the AS3 I think have a 500 rating.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
From what I remember looking at

PSS- more of a summer tire, great grip, but when cold they act up, similar to the Conti DW

AS3- all season performance tire, good for rain and cold weather. Similar to the conti DWS

The read wear rating --- the higher it is the harder the tire, thus more mileage out of them typically. Thats why you see track tire with a 140 rating. Compared to the AS3 I think have a 500 rating.
140 is NOT a track tire. My victoracers were 60, and Hoosier's were 0.

But 140 is the legal rule in SCCA street tire class racing.

Also keep in mind that you can NOT compare this number to other brands.

That is a 300 BFG may or may NOT last as long as a 300 Nitto. That number is brand specific, NOT government rated.

A little note from Tirerack:

When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 03-22-2014 at 09:05 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody used Kumho tires before? Any other tire recommendations?