Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Cruise, combo switch, column switch, SAS, clock spring, linguatronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
DIY: Cruise, combo switch, column switch, SAS, clock spring, linguatronic

Here is a super long DIY for everyone that can help with replacement of the following:

Clockspring
Steering Angle Sensor
Column adjustment switch
Combination switch (turn signal, wiper ..)
Cruise control switch
Add linguatronic lever (the hard way)

I just upgraded from NTG 1 to NTG 2.5 - Only took me 4.5 hours to install (not including coding). Big shout out for Mertd93 for helping me with my no sound issue (open MOST)

I wanted to enable linguatronic on NTG 2.5 since it is built in. Just needed to add lever. I already looked up part numbers on EPC to add the stick to control the Linguatronic switch (already built in). But thought it would be easier to buy the cruise and Linguatronic switch together from Fleabay. I was wrong … The switch I bought from Ebay is different (my guess 2003-2004 version). You will see from the pics below.

Anyway, I stripped the column switches out .. I already switched everything out when I decided to do this DIY. I took pictures during re-assembly to help others out .. it was fairly involved. I will do it in multiple posts since I don't think the forums will accept one gigantic post … here goes .. :

Disclaimer:

This DIY works for 2005 Model Year E55 AMG. I do not know what years this applies to. The clock spring and Steering angle sensor fragile so be very careful. I cannot take responsibility if you break these. I have tried my best to document clearly these parts since they are fragile and a little awkward.

Edit *added step 0 below to make life easier:
Step 0a
Straighten up the steering wheel. I did not do this but marked everything carefully so things could go back together right. straightening up will make markers line up and make your life easier. I turned mine 90 degrees to avoid the stalks but it's best to keep it straight.

Step 0b
extend the steering wheel and driver's seat all the way back to give you maximum space to work

1. Disconnect the main battery in the trunk (to be safe press the brake pedal after disconnecting and let car sit for 10 minutes)

2. Locate 2 holes on the back of the steering wheel on either side. They have 2x Torx 27 screws. Remove both. Lot's of pics on the internet for steering removal

3. Carefully lift up the airbag. You will see a connectors connected to airbag.
You need to pry up the orange locking tabs from each connector and carefully pry up the connectors (green and yellow). See below:

4. Disconnect the other connectors (there will be 2 to3 other connectors)

5. Remove the air bag. you will see below:

6. Remove the big steering bolt. It is fairly tight.

7. After removing the bolt, mark the location of the shaft and wheel as shown. This will help with assembly later

8. Remove the T27 torx screw that secures the whole column switch module in place:

9. Now you can slide the entire plastic switch assembly out.

10. Ensure the clock spring arrows are lined up:

11. Remove the 3 torx screws T10? from the two pics below:

12. Carefully remove clock spring as below. It slides back and out:

13. You will now see the Steering angle sensor. Ensure the arrows are also lined up
14. Remove the torx screw on the front:

15. Flip to the back of the switch module now and release the tabs on the back (see red arrows below)

16. Carefully separate the Steering angle sensor from the rest of the switch module
Below is a side view showing separation of the plugs between Steering angle sensor and switch module (be careful)

17. Here is the other side looking from what would be the right side of the switch module:

18. Below shows them separated.

19. Remove 3 torx screws holding the column height adjustment and master combination switch in place:

20. Pic below showing to remove the column height adjustment first then combo switch:

21. Comparison below of my cruise switch compared to one bought on Ebay. Very different! Mine is aluminum and is shaped differently on the back and the connectors are totally different. No straightforward swap here so I decided to tear open the switches for a peek inside:

22. Inside the switches I saw a board with switch for Lunuatronic. The Ebay one had the arm attached. Mine had a stump with the switch but no arm. I could've just bought the arm and plugged it in. But that would've been way too easy. So I decided to switch the boards together with the control arm.

23. Opened up cruise control switch with linguatronic switch inside:

24. Here is the picture of the board with the "stump"

25. Here is the plastic cap stump. I could've removed the end cap and added the lever:

Last edited by turbo97se; 03-30-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Added to the sticky in my sticky... You're awesome thank you again
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
I am still updating .. not done yet

Originally Posted by MAN55LE
Added to the sticky in my sticky... You're awesome thank you again
Old 03-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Nice write up thank you
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
04 E55 B07
Thanks for letting us know over and over again how crazy you are
Old 03-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30, 2013 S550, 09 E63, 14 E63 S Wagon, 14 E350 Wagon(current), 13 C63 P31 (current)
holy crap. I know that took TIME.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cheers guys ... just want to give something back to the forums. I learned a lot on here too.

mertd93 just aspiring to get my car closer to yours .. you should share pics of your interior!

Taking it apart took me hours because I was going super slow to make sure I did not break anything. I cannot stress how important it is to handle the clock spring and steering angle sensor carefully. Minimize turning them. Lock them in position if possible with tape or something. You can easily end up breaking these if you are not careful.

Putting it all back together was cake. I could probably do all this in 30-40 minutes if I had to do it again.