W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

followed home by cop in unmarked car, michigan law on this??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
And thanks everyone else for their input.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Originally Posted by thumper823
I am a safe driver for the most part. And when I'm doing something wrong I accept it and take the punishment. I like to think that cops are just doing their job so I try not to give them a hard time. This guy was acting like his wife was cheating on him though.. oh well. I have some steps to take tomorrow now and I'll update with what happens if anything. Thanks again sheriff!
Yeah, when I got my big ticket the cop acted like I just ****ed his wife

Like he doesn't pull the same thing in that charger he was driving, I see how they dog those things out constantly.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
OP-
Sounds like you had one of the power trip cops on your hands - or maybe a serial killer - I definitely would've been on the phone with a dispatcher ASAP if it was that obvious that someone was following me .

Having said that, in Maryland, it's hit or miss as to which kind of cop you'll encounter. You have the power hungry/authoritative/I have a gun and you don't types or the guy who thinks it's just another job and does what he/she needs to in order to get a paycheck.

I've been pulled over twice for no front tag and both cops were cool as hell. One was a state trooper and the other was a county (known to give tickets for even 1mph over the speed limit around some parts). Both complimented the car and gave warnings. My neighbor across the street from my house is a state trooper. Chillest guy you'll ever meet, even on duty. He has pulled me over once and it was a laugh for both of us - he let me go, obviously Overall, I feel very safe for having him as my neighbor and my son playing in the front yard when he's home.

On the flip side, my brother got pulled in his 911 Turbo a while back because he didn't have a front plate and the cop was a complete d-bag about it and issued a citation - and yes, Maryland is one of those stupid states that require you to have a front plate as well.

There are cops that truly are out there to help keep things in order and safe for us. But then there are others that are either bored or need to meet some quota and will issue tickets faster than rabbits fck.

Last edited by ArmoE55; 04-08-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Thats some freaky chit. If this happens to anyone I'd suggest leading them to an actual police or fire station and see if they follow you.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Fight those 1 mph over. Too many factors can attribute to getting a reading at 1 mph. Calibration of speed gun or lazer. Temp, weather, the users car, under or over inflated tires leading to inaccurate speedo reading..etc.

Cops are public servants. They serve the community and paid for by the taxes and fines incurred by traffic fines, taxes and legal fees.
You have the right to ask for identification before you provide information, you have the right to video and audio record any encounters, you do not need to provide identification unless there is legal probable cause. You do not need to engage in a conversation "voluntary detainment" when they are "fishing" for information. Unless you are breaking the law, the law enforcements are to respect your rights to freely move along without being hassled. As citizens we respect the law and its enforcers as authority of the law, but not authority over our legal abiding day to day business and lives.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by pnoyworx
Fight those 1 mph over. Too many factors can attribute to getting a reading at 1 mph. Calibration of speed gun or lazer. Temp, weather, the users car, under or over inflated tires leading to inaccurate speedo reading..etc.

Cops are public servants. They serve the community and paid for by the taxes and fines incurred by traffic fines, taxes and legal fees.
You have the right to ask for identification before you provide information, you have the right to video and audio record any encounters, you do not need to provide identification unless there is legal probable cause. You do not need to engage in a conversation "voluntary detainment" when they are "fishing" for information. Unless you are breaking the law, the law enforcements are to respect your rights to freely move along without being hassled. As citizens we respect the law and its enforcers as authority of the law, but not authority over our legal abiding day to day business and lives.

I know of an acquaintance who was arrested for videotaping his stop last year. Well he has a penchant for stirring ***** up. Anyways it got to the point where there was a struggle and the cop reached right in and took the phone, smashed it on the ground, and arrested him for failure to obey an officer (LOL whatever that trumped up charge was) He was told it was illegal to record an officer. In reality the officer was confused what was taking place in a public setting as opposed to a private conversation. He was under the impression the violation was wiretapping. Yes thats how dumb cops are down here. The arresting officer's police department even issued a memo as to what constitutes legal recording of police officers. However this guy lost his job as this happened on a friday night (because in florida you can be fired for anything) he was released Monday with no charges filed.

What sheriffdep says has some validity to it. However i fell that even in SheriffDep's neck of the woods, things might be a little too peaceful in the carolinas.

Hell even in Canada i hit a road check point in Vancouver and was stopped. I had a florida drivers license while driving a canadian car (my mothers eagle talon tsi awd) This bs cop tried to tell me he had every authority to search my mothers car and there wasn't a thing i couldn't do to stop it. I told him No.....he couldn't search my car and he could get the dogs. Well he took what i said, told me this wasnt "the states eh!" arrested me, put me back in the car, and proceeded to search my vehicle without my consent. I was released when he couldn't find the drugs he was so sure of finding. I told him upon leaving "Not every American comes to visit the great white north to deal drugs............. eh!" What am i going to do waste 250 hours filing complaint forms and waste for a response?

My point is mostly anyone in a position of authority abuses their power. Assumes they are in the right. That have the final say. Some challenge those and get burned, some accept it and move on.

I cant wait for the day some Bull*****Miami cop pulls me over and questions the dashcam i got running (i finally got that Bull***** Blackvue Camera working) and tries to turn it off. That day will be fun.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
I feel like a Rat in a Lions Den LOL

Everyone has had a bad experience with an LEO. What you don't hear about are the good encounters typically. I know a few were mentioned, but every officer I personally claim as a friend acts like the Trooper mentioned in the posts above.

I have been in plenty of situations and size of city typically doesn't matter, you just have more or less of the same crap. Everyone thinks they are a armchair lawyer. What bad is criminals know what the Judge is going to give them, even before I get them into the jail.

I am not going to argue with someone on the side of the road. I am in charge period. You are not getting out of the car, you will give me the proper identifying documents and when I am done you may be on your way. Deviate from this and your asking for trouble, and likely jail. If you have an issue with the citation, warning, or reason for the stop -- make a complaint and take it up with the judge. Complaints are taken very seriously, but most complaints are so stupid you would laugh.

Ok that sounds harsh, but its not meant to be that way. Typical stop is announcing who I am and why I stopped you. Then politely asking for your ID and INS and Reg. Those are supposed to be on you when driving and when asked by a LEO you are supposed to show them. Driving is a privilege and not a right. After you show me that, I either give a verbal warning and let you be on your way, or go run the ID for warrants and write a citation and then let you be on your way. Its that simple.

NOW here comes the issues. Some officers will stop for crap things or to harass someone. I have never seen that personally but I do know it happens. When you do feel that a stop was not correct, please call the local agency and report it, but by all means comply and you will be on your way much faster. If the officer had a bad attitude and treated you without respect then make a complaint, everyone has a bad day, however just because they do you shouldn't. YOU are the good guys as likely your family members are also. Remember that most stops have many other issues involved and when someone opens their door and gets out, things get ugly really quick.

Typical stop- you are lied to about who they are, no registration, NOL, insurance block on the car, and then you have 4 other armchair lawyers talking crap to the driver. Come to find out, 4 out of 5 have warrants, the car is stolen, (they stole a tag that matched it, but had INS block they didn't know), One has drugs on their person, and believe it or not the Driver said they weren't aware their licensed was revoked due to Failure to Appear for Ct. Thats a every day typical stop.

Stopping one of you guys probably would result in a warning or citation due to running 30+ over. Everywhere there are bad eggs, please don't think all of us are, and most have families and try to do the right thing.

Rookies stop for little things till they get enough experience and stop it. It wears them out. Also they are nervous too, not knowing what to expect on a stop, and sometimes are harsher compensating for the nervousness. Troopers especially. Remember they are by themselves without an additional car within 50 miles, so a harsh curt demanding type of approach would be reasonable. Still show respect, but very short due to safety.

Ok, I am going to enjoy my evening now.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
IMO, if you feel you have done nothing wrong, just answer the questions and be done with it. That will avoid any extra time and possible costs on your part, especially if you are not 100% familar with the laws. And even at that, it is a big headache (from what I know) to be arrested even if you are let go later on.

"you do not need to provide identification unless there is legal probable cause." In the state of Texas this is not true. While driving, you MUST provide identification if asked no matter what.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
You are right, when you added the word Driving, since it is required to do so to operate a vehicle. Otherwise NO. Constitution protects you from unreasonable search of persons and seizures of persons. Also just to provide info is possible grounds to be used against you in court no matter how innocent or unrelated you are to the situation. Practice your rights or you will loose em.

Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge
IMO, if you feel you have done nothing wrong, just answer the questions and be done with it. That will avoid any extra time and possible costs on your part, especially if you are not 100% familar with the laws. And even at that, it is a big headache (from what I know) to be arrested even if you are let go later on.

"you do not need to provide identification unless there is legal probable cause." In the state of Texas this is not true. While driving, you MUST provide identification if asked no matter what.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Lots of police depts using fusions now
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by cnterline
Tarus....yes.......Fusion no. Not sure what state you live in but I think that is a totally incorrect statement.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
OP-
Sounds like you had one of the power trip cops on your hands - or maybe a serial killer - I definitely would've been on the phone with a dispatcher ASAP if it was that obvious that someone was following me .

Having said that, in Maryland, it's hit or miss as to which kind of cop you'll encounter. You have the power hungry/authoritative/I have a gun and you don't types or the guy who thinks it's just another job and does what he/she needs to in order to get a paycheck.

I've been pulled over twice for no front tag and both cops were cool as hell. One was a state trooper and the other was a county (known to give tickets for even 1mph over the speed limit around some parts). Both complimented the car and gave warnings. My neighbor across the street from my house is a state trooper. Chillest guy you'll ever meet, even on duty. He has pulled me over once and it was a laugh for both of us - he let me go, obviously Overall, I feel very safe for having him as my neighbor and my son playing in the front yard when he's home.

On the flip side, my brother got pulled in his 911 Turbo a while back because he didn't have a front plate and the cop was a complete d-bag about it and issued a citation - and yes, Maryland is one of those stupid states that require you to have a front plate as well.

There are cops that truly are out there to help keep things in order and safe for us. But then there are others that are either bored or need to meet some quota and will issue tickets faster than rabbits fck.

Had MD State trooper pull me over on the Beltway for a "obstructed" tag as I have a clear protective cover over my plates. Tells me "it's against Md State law to have anything around your plates". Younger guy looking like he's fresh out of the academy.......anyway he gives me a warning ticket.

I say to him as before leaving......."not trying to be a smart a$$, but you're going to be pulling over every other car you see out here".
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
NYCPD for starters as well as others,what's that they say a pictures worth what ? It's not a one off either .They are using them to be green lol,as for what happened to OP don't know ,but here's your answer to the Fusion question ,a quick search said Oakland PD and Chicago for unmarked cars ,sorry bro.
Attached Thumbnails followed home by cop in unmarked car, michigan law on this??-photo.jpg  

Last edited by cnterline; 04-08-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by xabo
Had MD State trooper pull me over on the Beltway for a "obstructed" tag as I have a clear protective cover over my plates. Tells me "it's against Md State law to have anything around your plates". Younger guy looking like he's fresh out of the academy.......anyway he gives me a warning ticket.

I say to him as before leaving......."not trying to be a smart a$$, but you're going to be pulling over every other car you see out here".
It is because some people use those "clear" covers that are reflective for tollway and red light camera violations.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
It is because some people use those "clear" covers that are reflective for tollway and red light camera violations.
I have literally never seen one of those things tested that actually worked.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
All they do is slightly overexpose the image, they never actually get it to the point where all of the digits/characters are illegible. Those covers and sprays are a total scam.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 PM

'08 CL65

Not sure as my cover is completely clear and you can see all of my numbers clearly, which I verified with the trooper. I asked him "even though you can clearly see my plates it's illegal"? That when he stated that "nothing can be around or on your plates, not even the frames that the dealer gives you".
Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Originally Posted by cnterline
yea but this was also a bronze/brown colored car, i doubt any state would fork over extra money for a fleet of cars with fancy paint.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM

'08 CL65
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
All they do is slightly overexpose the image, they never actually get it to the point where all of the digits/characters are illegible. Those covers and sprays are a total scam.

In most places, especially in D.C., all of the digits/characters must be legible for the infraction to be consider valid.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Not sure as my cover is completely clear and you can see all of my numbers clearly, which I verified with the trooper. I asked him "even though you can clearly see my plates it's illegal"? That when he stated that "nothing can be around or on your plates, not even the frames that the dealer gives you".
This has recently (within the last couple years) become true in Texas as well. Nothing can obscure any part of the digits or the state designation.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
In most places, especially in D.C., all of the digits/characters must be legible for the infraction to be consider valid.
, right that makes sense. What I'm saying is these bogus products usually don't obstruct all digits/characters anyway so if anyone was planning on using them to gain an advantage over toll roads, red light cameras, or photo radar, it likely won't work and is a stupid idea anyway.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 PM

'08 CL65
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
, right that makes sense. What I'm saying is these bogus products usually don't obstruct all digits/characters anyway so if anyone was planning on using them to gain an advantage over toll roads, red light cameras, or photo radar, it likely won't work and is a stupid idea anyway.

I agree.