BIP TCU tune feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM
lm7

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E55
BIP TCU tune feedback

First off - great customer service from Craig at BIP, on Tuesday of last week I decided I wanted a TCU tune for a track day on Saturday. I reached out to Craig and he immediately answered all my questions and was responsive throughout and post purchase. I dropped it in the mail, they received it Thursday morning overnighted back to me (sent tracking info) and I had it installed by Friday night!

I’ve had a 3k stall in my car since September and while it launches like an animal when it flashes from a stop, it had some weird tendencies like holding a gear too long before shifting or not kicking down when going WOT from a stop. I think it really just exacerbates the laggy torque management feeling. A power “dead spot” if you will. The TCU tune cured this, not sure if it’s the removed TQM or shift point adjustment but from a roll the car responds so much better to WOT. I leave the ESP on below 70mph on street tires now lol!
At $450 this is by far my favorite bang for the buck mod and a must for those with a high stall converter. I’ve only had it in a few days but so far its turned my car into something that is a BLAST to drive.

Big thanks to Craig and BIP!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Good to hear drive safe
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
Originally Posted by lm7
First off - great customer service from Craig at BIP, on Tuesday of last week I decided I wanted a TCU tune for a track day on Saturday. I reached out to Craig and he immediately answered all my questions and was responsive throughout and post purchase. I dropped it in the mail, they received it Thursday morning overnighted back to me (sent tracking info) and I had it installed by Friday night!

I’ve had a 3k stall in my car since September and while it launches like an animal when it flashes from a stop, it had some weird tendencies like holding a gear too long before shifting or not kicking down when going WOT from a stop. I think it really just exacerbates the laggy torque management feeling. A power “dead spot” if you will. The TCU tune cured this, not sure if it’s the removed TQM or shift point adjustment but from a roll the car responds so much better to WOT. I leave the ESP on below 70mph on street tires now lol!
At $450 this is by far my favorite bang for the buck mod and a must for those with a high stall converter. I’ve only had it in a few days but so far its turned my car into something that is a BLAST to drive.

+1

Same story, different car. lol.

Not meaning to nut hug, but....Steve, Craig and Tony are top notch dudes.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
Glad you are enjoying it fellas. Stay classy out there
Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 Wagon | C126 | S210
Same tune on my wagon. EC tune previously was just weird. Not bashing EC but the BIP is significantly better.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
glad some are jumping on board its a must totally improves the performance and again its a must for us guys with the stall in the car.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lm7

Whaaaat. What are your mods? With the stock stall and stock TCU, I have to turn ESP off at 65mph. I assumed the stall would throw more power down and harsher... are you saying the hit is more controllable?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Great to hear BIP just fixed my issue with the ECU cannot wait to get the TCU done as well
Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Any longer term updates on how the tcu tune behaves after the adaptives have set in?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
super happy with mine cant wait to get to the track and test it out.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thanks fellas, appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by BimmerDawg
Same tune on my wagon. EC tune previously was just weird. Not bashing EC but the BIP is significantly better.
How was it "weird" exactly ? They way I understood it was BIP was using EC tune. They got a TCU from EC and a couple weeks later they were selling tuned TCUs ....... Perhaps they found some tweaks EC wasnt aware of although I doubt it.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
Bip tcu has nothing to do with Ec.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by dllhg
How was it "weird" exactly ? They way I understood it was BIP was using EC tune. They got a TCU from EC and a couple weeks later they were selling tuned TCUs ....... Perhaps they found some tweaks EC wasnt aware of although I doubt it.

Our tune has nothing to do with EC, so please don't spread false information about our product
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BI-Performance
Our tune has nothing to do with EC, so please don't spread false information about our product
Sorry I meant no offense. So you guys did all your own tuning on these from ground up ? I had heard from a reputable source that you guys ordered one of their TCUs and within two weeks were selling tuned TCUs..... Doesnt mean its true but it sounded pretty believable. I just thought perhaps you guys used that as a starting point then perhaps made some tweaks to it of your own. You guys seem great and everyone on here likes you. I only said something because someone claimed EC TCU tune was "weird" and yours was so much better. They didnt give any specific examples of what was weird though... EC has been doing tuned TCUs for years and seem to be a pretty good tuner. Its no uncommon for vendors to do that sort of thing.

Peace
Old 05-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 2005
+1 BIP great people.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
Sorry I meant no offense. So you guys did all your own tuning on these from ground up ? I had heard from a reputable source that you guys ordered one of their TCUs and within two weeks were selling tuned TCUs..... Doesnt mean its true but it sounded pretty believable. I just thought perhaps you guys used that as a starting point then perhaps made some tweaks to it of your own. You guys seem great and everyone on here likes you. I only said something because someone claimed EC TCU tune was "weird" and yours was so much better. They didnt give any specific examples of what was weird though... EC has been doing tuned TCUs for years and seem to be a pretty good tuner. Its no uncommon for vendors to do that sort of thing.

Peace
who was the "reputable source"? i had the first e/c tcu tune on my slk32 after 6 months and more tunes than i could count i ditched the setup in favor of oem. 21 afr spikes were just waiting to blow my motor.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
Drove another 55 today with the bip tcu tune while doing remote tuning. trans shifted really nice super smooth and of course manual mode was awsome.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
who was the "reputable source"? i had the first e/c tcu tune on my slk32 after 6 months and more tunes than i could count i ditched the setup in favor of oem. 21 afr spikes were just waiting to blow my motor.

I wont name names but it was as reputable as you can get.... Personally I went with OE tune on the engine side. I did get one of their TCU tunes on special. Only drove it today. Shifts were in fact smoother and didnt notice the typical bog at low speeds as much which I didnt think was trans related Need to play with more to see how I like it. Was a half off special so I figured why not
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
To use your words, sorry I mean no offense, just wondering what your motivation is here? Are you trying to help to sell OE tuning or put BIP reputation into question? … I am unclear. The thread is about feedback on BIP TCU tune.

I wont name names but it was as reputable as you can get.... Personally I went with OE tune on the engine side. I did get one of their TCU tunes on special. Only drove it today. Shifts were in fact smoother and didnt notice the typical bog at low speeds as much which I didnt think was trans related Need to play with more to see how I like it. Was a half off special so I figured why not
Old 05-03-2014, 01:09 AM
lm7

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E55
Log from this weekend at the track with the BIP TCU and EC ECU tune combo. just got an updated ECU file from Jerry yesterday (small blip in afr after shift 12.0). So far I'm loving the TCU tune, I think the shift points have actually raised with adaptation...but I also drive it a little more spirited than most LOL!

Last edited by lm7; 05-03-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turbo97se
To use your words, sorry I mean no offense, just wondering what your motivation is here? Are you trying to help to sell OE tuning or put BIP reputation into question? … I am unclear. The thread is about feedback on BIP TCU tune.

I mentioned OE tune on my car to show I wasn't trying to promote EC but rather trying to shed some light on this whole "EC TCU tune was weird" statement. If the tunes are in fact the same the person saying the tune was "weird" is trying to bash another vendors product. Simply defending that. I thought that was pretty evident from my posts

All that matters is people like the tune and the company
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 Wagon | C126 | S210
I mentioned OE tune on my car to show I wasn't trying to promote EC but rather trying to shed some light on this whole "EC TCU tune was weird" statement. If the tunes are in fact the same the person saying the tune was "weird" is trying to bash another vendors product. Simply defending that. I thought that was pretty evident from my posts

All that matters is people like the tune and the company
I said I wasn't bashing, please don't twist my words. My post was promoting BIP's tune, not bashing EC's.

Before the BIP tune, the car would feel like it was slipping in and out of gear in traffic, around 1100 rpm or so. When I questioned the PO about it, he said it always did that. Full disclosure: my conductor plate did take a crap and the car needed a full transmission rebuild so my initial thought was the strange "in and out of gear" thing was related, but as previously mentioned, the PO Bart (FASN8N) confirmed that it was normal.

Again, not bashing EC so please make your own conclusions but DO NOT twist my words.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
BIP is doing there TCU tunes local ?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
I said I wasn't bashing, please don't twist my words. My post was promoting BIP's tune, not bashing EC's.

Before the BIP tune, the car would feel like it was slipping in and out of gear in traffic, around 1100 rpm or so. When I questioned the PO about it, he said it always did that. Full disclosure: my conductor plate did take a crap and the car needed a full transmission rebuild so my initial thought was the strange "in and out of gear" thing was related, but as previously mentioned, the PO Bart (FASN8N) confirmed that it was normal.

Again, not bashing EC so please make your own conclusions but DO NOT twist my words.
Geordie, I wonder if the 1100 RPM weirdness was related to the conductor plate or the EC TCU tune? I always thought it was the SC clutch engaging? I guess we will never know, at least it is 100X better with the new BIP TCU tune

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIP TCU tune feedback