Sponsored by:

Service 'D' - worth it in my case?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
Service 'D' - worth it in my case?

Stopped by the local dealership to pick up an emergency key I ordered. It was my 1st time ever being there. While I was there I had them pull what info was in the system for my VIN just for some dealer history. I've seen the Service 'D' due in 8k miles message on my dash, so I asked about it. I also asked about the SBC since the 10 years is up this coming September - hoping he would say we'll change it under warranty - no dice there and no malfunction codes (knock on wood) anyway. He said if I bring it in for the Service 'D' ($385) that he would check the SBC out for me at that time - as part of the overall inspection. I know the Service 'D' is pretty benign for those of us that aren't afraid to get our hands dirty - but it might be worth it if they check the SBC out - especially if the counts are high. Thoughts?? If it's going to go soon Id rather have it changed for free under warranty obviously. Dealership seemed on the level and plenty willing to answer my questions so I got a good feeling from the whole experience. That doesn't mean I'll be taking my car there regularly though... (he he). Also wanted to note that in my history there is a line item for a "Hydraulic unit, traction system" at 64k miles (4 years old) and mentions "Warranty". I wonder if that's the SBC??
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by june82000
Also wanted to note that in my history there is a line item for a "Hydraulic unit, traction system" at 64k miles (4 years old) and mentions "Warranty". I wonder if that's the SBC??

Yes.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r
Yes.
Thanks Wes. The SA at the dealership actually pointed that out but he stated that he wasn't sure if that's what it was. Maybe he was just playing dumb - seems like he'd know exactly what that referred to.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 PM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by june82000
Thanks Wes. The SA at the dealership actually pointed that out but he stated that he wasn't sure if that's what it was. Maybe he was just playing dumb - seems like he'd know exactly what that referred to.

Np. SAs don't know everything I just had this done on mine just before it cracked 120K miles. It was covered (that is, the part was covered under MB's extended warranty), but annoyingly the labor to install and code-to-car was out-of-pocket. My service R.O. reads verbatim what you described above. You're good, but if you end up taking it in for the 'D' Service, you might as well have 'em confirm it. Can't imagine it'd cost any more to plug it in.