Sponsored by:

Rear Subframe issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 2009
Rear Subframe issue?

In my last post I had clicking and popping sound when I turn the wheels. An independent experienced mb mechanic checked my front suspension and steering rack which checked out fine.

There was a previous post of am e55 owner who had a lot of clicking and popping noises that turned out to be failed subframe bushings and bolts. He also has excessive swaying when driving over bumps. My car has the same symptoms. His problem was fixed by replacing all the bushings and bolts . I believe that I have the same issues. I ordered the bushings and bolts. I believe that this a big job to drop the subframe to replace the bushings and bolts.

My question is can my mechanic just replace the bolts and torquing them to 60 ft lbs and drive the car . If this fixes the popping and swaying then he can tighten the bolts the extra 1/4th turn?

If this does not fix the problem , then we will proceed with tha full bolt and bushing replacement. Can the bolts and bushings be replaced by just removing the bolts without removing the whole rear drivetrain?

Thank you veery much
Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
rear subframe front bushes, just had mine replaced .
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
If you have it done and it solves the problem, let me know how much they charge you. May have my tech take a peek under the car and do the same.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 PM

E63 2009
This is a follow up of my subframe issue.

I ordered the bushings and 3 subframe bolt. My mechanic who has small shop looked at what is involved in replacing the bushings and we decided to replace the bolts only.
The rear swaying and extra side to side movement improved completely. The rear is now stable in uneven road surface. This was a lot cheaper fix. No broken bolts.
The popping and creaking partially improved . But I'm happy the handling is better
My mechanic did not mention that the old bolts we're loose.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by Mbsti
This is a follow up of my subframe issue.

I ordered the bushings and 3 subframe bolt. My mechanic who has small shop looked at what is involved in replacing the bushings and we decided to replace the bolts only.
The rear swaying and extra side to side movement improved completely. The rear is now stable in uneven road surface. This was a lot cheaper fix. No broken bolts.
The popping and creaking partially improved . But I'm happy the handling is better
My mechanic did not mention that the old bolts we're loose.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 11:18 PM

E63 2009
I meant 4 bolts. May be I'll have the mechanic look at the front subframe later