Sponsored by:

Front end alignment problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55
Angry Front end alignment problems

I have spent the last month or so tightening up the whole front end by replacing ball joints, control arms, and tie rods. So on to the problem, when getting aligned it all shows green as soon as we pull out for a test drive the wheel is off to one side (yes it was locked down centered during the alignment) along with a steering vibration. Next pull the car back on the rack and the front toe is completely off again, this time once we get everything green we turn the wheel side to side and back to center only to find the toe way off again.

That long story brings me here to ask for anyone's help in the issue. The only thing I can come up with is rack and pinion bushings or maybe the whole thing. Thank you in advance for any help and sorry if this is horribly written as I'm on my phone.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Inner tie rods, do you see lateral movement when the wheel is raised off the ground on either side?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 PM

W211 E55
Inner tie rods are also new. Gave up for now. Going to pull the belly pan and see if I can see the rack moving.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
It's gotta be the rack bushings or the rack itself.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 AM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Enigma94
It's gotta be the rack bushings or the rack itself.
That's good to hear that I am at least on the right path. I did notice that when I turn the wheel all the way to lock its not like it hits a dead stop. The wheel can be turned a little past that point but feels like there is no power assist.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:06 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
BTW, the Steering Rack Bushings are the Easiest thing to do on the whole car, practically!! I, of course, overthought it beforehand as I always do, but once under there, it couldn't be easier!! On the 07'E63, just raise her up, unbolt the Steering Rack (4 Bolts) Plate, at this point the rack will just be sort of floating. The bottom bushes are straight forward, just maybe use a screwdriver or something to pry them out and use soapy water to lube up the new ones and shove them in, but don't do that just yet. The top ones are a little more challenging. I used a small screwdriver to push them up from underneath where the lower bushing was, thus the reason why to leave the lower ones out. Using a headlamp helps here ( I use one at all times!!) to see exactly where the edge of the upper bush is to push on and viola, it pops out. You have to drop the Rack just a little for clearance to remove and insert the upper bush and then follow suit with installing the lower and your done! Install the bolts, tighten to spec and Finito!!!