AC in the summer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
AC in the summer

This might help someone who might be having issues getting chilled this summer in their cars. Should also help those with Killer Chiller setups as well.

If you are hearing weird ac related noises, swirling sucking noises from your ac unit especially when it's really hot out, CHECK AND REFILL YOUR REFRIGERANT LEVELS!

If you passenger side runs colder than the driver side, CHECK AND REFILL YOUR REFRIGERANT LEVELS!

If you start to notice condensation on the lower level of the passenger side windshield, CHECK AND REFILL YOUR REFRIGERANT LEVELS!

If you notice your ac is starting to get a smell, could be engine/oil like smell and/or occasional mildew smell.... Yep you know it, CHECK AND REFILL YOUR REFRIGERANT LEVELS!

Can you do it all home? Is the Mercedes AC system too complicated to perform top off at home? Answers are Yes and No.
While operationally it is different from other manufacturers, here's the basic facts.... Several car makers of lesser brands use the exact same constant running compressors too and people top them off all the time, the MB system is not that unique.

My take on what to use.... I tipped mine off using the Arctic Freeze 12 ounce can, ended up using all of it. I will not use more than 12 ounces of any R134a with sealers and other additives. I needed more than 12 ounces, so the last 6 or so ounces I needed, I used a generic R134a with nothing added. I used the crappy gauge that came with the unit. I made sure to get the air out of the line before hooking it up. I also only topped off till I was in the 25 to 30 range (27 on my car). My car has never been this cold as long as I can remember. It's been a slow slow leak and I do not plan on finding the source and sealing etc etc. It took almost 10 years for the car to get this way even though it was working relatively well prior me topping it off.

Don't be afraid, just use common sense. And yes if you have to top off yearly or more, you should probably see about getting that fixed cos you do have a big enough leak to require a mechanic's attention.
Top it off to the low end of those crappy gauges so you do not risk overfilling. If in doubt, drive the car around for about 5 to 10mins then recheck and add as needed. Make sure you have help revving the car to 1500 to 2000rpm when checking and topping off. There is no reason not to have a chilled system that takes seconds to get cool even in 95 degrees summer heat.

Just my 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
madsencc (03-30-2016)