W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Break in period???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Break in period???

I had a question about the break in period. I have read in the forums a 1,000 mile break in. I asked the dealer about this and he said that there is NO break in period.

My question is...EVERY car that I have owned I drove it like I stole it. Every car has been faster than most others who followed the break in period. Now... I DID NOT do this with my M3, because after 1250 miles you need to take it back to BMW so they can change all fluids and read the computer. I have heard that some who did not follow the proper break-in procedure, there warranty was voided on the spot. Is this the same with MB??

My family owns several construction companies and we have a fleet of cars/trucks. We bought about 10 Ford Taurus' and I drive one regularly. I broke it in the same way as all my others and everytime we "race" them I beat everyone by at least 1 or 2 car lengths.

Has anyone heard a warranty voided or problems with not following the normal break in period?

If I need to follow that break in period I am going to drive that car non stop until I get 1000 miles on the Odometer.

Thanks guys, ONE more night until they flat bed my car to me.

ROB
Old 12-21-2003, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
This is a highly debated topic. The car comes with a sticker that says 1000 miles 4500RPM and 85 MPH.

My dealer told me that the engine does not need a break in but other components do. They told me that the differential was the biggest concern.

Just my .02 I have followed the break in on three of my AMG cars and have never has a mechanical problem of any kind. (knock on wood...)

Schiz
Old 12-21-2003, 11:23 AM

2009 C63
Originally posted by Schiznick
This is a highly debated topic. The car comes with a sticker that says 1000 miles 4500RPM and 85 MPH.

My dealer told me that the engine does not need a break in but other components do. They told me that the differential was the biggest concern.

Just my .02 I have followed the break in on three of my AMG cars and have never has a mechanical problem of any kind. (knock on wood...)

Schiz
OH CRAP.... On the TEST drive the dealer was driving it out of the lot and he took it up to 120 MPH . Where is the sticker? I do not remember seeing it. I am going tomorrow to the dealer to give him the check and I will look to make sure it is there. If not maybe I can try to get some other goodies thrown in ...

Thanks,
ROB
Old 12-21-2003, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
When in doubt go with what the manual says.

Who are you going to believe the dealership or the Factory? My sticker is on the upper diverside windshield. Its clear.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:40 AM

srt10viper...who sold you the E55?

That's an awesome stable you have. I've been trying to buy a 2004 Brilliant Silver/Black E55 with Lighting Package, DVD Nav, Rear Sunshade, CD Changer, and Comfort Package for a few months now, but haven't been able to negotiate your $1,000 off MSRP and $800.00 in "Free" accessories deal. I'd like to speak with the dealer from whom you purchased it so I can discuss arranging for a similar deal. Do you mind posting that info, including contact details? Also, any insight as to the accessories he included would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:29 PM

2009 C63
Re: srt10viper...who sold you the E55?

Originally posted by gs4rx3
That's an awesome stable you have. I've been trying to buy a 2004 Brilliant Silver/Black E55 with Lighting Package, DVD Nav, Rear Sunshade, CD Changer, and Comfort Package for a few months now, but haven't been able to negotiate your $1,000 off MSRP and $800.00 in "Free" accessories deal. I'd like to speak with the dealer from whom you purchased it so I can discuss arranging for a similar deal. Do you mind posting that info, including contact details? Also, any insight as to the accessories he included would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think the time of the year has something to do with the discount. I heard that dealers have to pay a tax on all vehicles on the lot at the end of the year. This was a win win situation. I will ask the dealer if it is OK to post the info.

Thanks,
ROB
Old 12-21-2003, 03:15 PM

2004 E55
I passed 1,000 miles recently so I'm good to go. Myself, I just enjoyed the car without really winding it out excessively, and made sure to vary the speed and rpm, shifting at 3 grand or less for the most part. The same as I did with my C32 and had no problems with that. Since passing the magic mark I'm being as aggressive with it as I can be on iffy roads with the snows on. Very much looking forward to the spring. This car is a delight on the highways. Acceleration is more a thought than an effort.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Sticker was in the upper left corner of the windshield. It is clear. Don't know if this comes from the factory or if it is added by the dealer before delivery.

It was on my E55 and my SL55.

I don't understand why dealers continue to ignore what MB says. My service manager and I got into quite a heated discussion about this topic. I pointed to the sticker and said why is it there if it does not require a break in period. No logical reason could ever be given.

Believe me I am ready to thrash the car from day one, I just want to be sure it has an nice long issue free life...

Schiz
Old 12-21-2003, 05:13 PM

Follow my break in period.... 5 MILES ONLY.......
Old 12-21-2003, 06:23 PM

I too had the sticker in the top left corner of my windshield. I took it easy for the first 1200 miles. Since then, I have had the pleasure of blasting people away from 60 or 70 mph up to 110. At that range, it is like the other cars are just standing still.

I forgot if I read it in the user manual or on the sticker, there was a sentence about "E55 should be driven under XXX" So since MB actually printed "E55", I thought I should follow it.

amgB
Old 12-21-2003, 09:13 PM

I had a CLK55 prior to my E55 and there was no such warning on the '01's. I had read both pros and cons about the break in period, but ignored them
I ran that CLK55 as hard as it could be run right out of the box.
Never had a problem with it thru 30 months of ownership (other than window switch and fuel gauge, unrelated to driving style).
The '04 E55 warning is clear, so I'm abiding by it.
Maybe unnecessary.

BTW, with regard to your comments about the M3, I've read that in Europe in particular warranties are voided based on the aggressiveness of driving habits as recorded by the car's computer. I once read specifically that 30 reps of max acceleration was cause for termination of warranty.
Were that the case in the USA I'd be switching brands.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Agree with AMG55!

Picked up my beast over the weekend and it is very clear both in the E-Class Sedan Operator's Manual and the clear plastic window decal in the car. Even keeping the RPM under 4500 still makes the car a rocket!
Old 12-21-2003, 10:08 PM

2009 C63
Originally posted by amg55

BTW, with regard to your comments about the M3, I've read that in Europe in particular warranties are voided based on the aggressiveness of driving habits as recorded by the car's computer. I once read specifically that 30 reps of max acceleration was cause for termination of warranty.
Were that the case in the USA I'd be switching brands.
I know that the computer tracks how many time you use the launch control with the SMG transmission. A friend of mine who has a M3 coupe said that when he took it in for the 1250 mile service they came out with a print out of the engine history. He kept it under the recommended RPM range. Since then he has driven it like a raped ape...

I guess I will "try" to keep my foot out of it for a while.

Thanks guys for all the comments.

ROB
Old 12-23-2003, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
Rob

I know its hard to do, the entire time, all I wanted to do was mash the pedal and unleash the beast. I left the break in recommendations sticker on the windshield until I hit 1000miles just as a reminder. I followed it just to be on the safe side.

Dave