Sponsored by:

Weird AC problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
I agree and now I have confirmation. Don't put anything with additives in a car with continuously running compressor

So far so good, 99 degrees when I got into my car a few minutes ago per my ambient sensor. Quarter mile to cool down completely
Old 09-22-2014, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
UPDATE:

So the car worked for a few days perfectly until it started raining again. The out of the blue it stopped working after leaving it parked out in the rain during the day. The recover vacuum and recharge did not work. This has nothing to do with the R134 with sealer I put in.
Same symptoms kept coming and going as before. Time to go back to drawing board.

Gave Shardul a shout and went over to his place to had DAS magic on it (thank you again Shardul), told me it was the evaporator temp sensor. I researched it and found a host of people with similar symptoms (use recirculate too much, rain and moisture, etc etc) causing AC outages. The problem was most of these cars were older W210 and corresponding C-Class chassis.

Bought the part anyway cos its less than 30 from Autohaz and took about 15mins or less to swap it out. The stock part was the new design capable of resisting moisture contamination unlike the old part that sucked in that department. I was not convinced this will solve my problem but tried it anyway.
Its been a week and half with all kinds of changing weather hot and cool, wet and dry and the AC has been working flawlessly so far!
I hope this is it and I believe it is, but we will see.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Glad to help.
Most of the time DAS removes all the guess work from diagnosing the problem.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Figured out my A/C issue, too. The MB Club here had a DIY tech day at one of the local MB dealers. The MB tech evacuated the system (it was a little low on Freon) & I did the labor, changing out the expansion valve, low side hose at the compressor & the dryer. MB pulled a vacuum, recharged the system & checked for leaks. It's been working great ever since! I did check the low side hose & the teflon lining was collapsing in multiple places. So, I know that part was bad & may not have needed the expansion valve. But, since the system was evacuated, I changed it anyway. I'm just glad it wasn't anything else (evaporator core). BTW, my DAS/SDS did not show any faults or events.

Last edited by rawdvm; 09-22-2014 at 05:46 PM.