Gearbox questions- recommended oil, cooler etc'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Gearbox questions- recommended oil, cooler etc'

Hey guys,

My 03' E55 is about to have her gearbox rebuild in 2 weeks (waiting for parts to arrive).
Other than Eurocharged ECU & H/E the car is stock.

As I live in HK I can say than except for about 3-3.5 months that weather drops to around 5-15 degrees Celsius most of the time weather around the 18-23 degrees and in pick summer time we're having around 2-3 months of high temperatures around 27-35 degrees.

Car is used daily for very short trips (less than 3 km, wife takes kids to school) and every weekend for aggressive Sunday morning drives, total of approx' 10k KM per year.

Consider this background:
1. Any recommendation for which gearbox oil shall I use? Stick to factory one or is there any better aftermarket?
2. Do you recommend me installing a gearbox oil cooler or no need for that.
3. Any other things that I didn't thought about and you recommend me to do now that gearbox is already off car and opened?

Any suggestions/tips/recommendations are welcome.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by edan82
Hey guys,

My 03' E55 is about to have her gearbox rebuild in 2 weeks (waiting for parts to arrive).
Other than Eurocharged ECU & H/E the car is stock.

As I live in HK I can say than except for about 3-3.5 months that weather drops to around 5-15 degrees Celsius most of the time weather around the 18-23 degrees and in pick summer time we're having around 2-3 months of high temperatures around 27-35 degrees.

Car is used daily for very short trips (less than 3 km, wife takes kids to school) and every weekend for aggressive Sunday morning drives, total of approx' 10k KM per year.

Consider this background:
1. Any recommendation for which gearbox oil shall I use? Stick to factory one or is there any better aftermarket?
2. Do you recommend me installing a gearbox oil cooler or no need for that.
3. Any other things that I didn't thought about and you recommend me to do now that gearbox is already off car and opened?

Any suggestions/tips/recommendations are welcome.
1. Only use recommended factory gearbox viscosity and I would recommend just sticking with the OEM blend.

2. I may be wrong, but I thought all 03' - 06' e55s came with a transmission oil cooler (my 06' does). If you don't have one, I would recommend getting one. You could also consider getting a different (larger ) pan to hold more oil if you really are concerned.

3. You could have the clutch packs beefed up if you really are going to make a monster (but your car sounds pretty stock), otherwise a factory transmission should go for well over 150K miles....
Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Thank you for your reply, I guess I'll stick with the factory gearbox oil.

Other suggestions anyone?