Sponsored by:

New Paint Nano-Clearcoat...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
New Paint Nano-Clearcoat...

Read a great article in BenzWorld on new clearcoat process MB will start using soon. Has anyone out there heard any confirmation that these processes are being phased in now as the article says? My black E55 is slated for first or second week of Jan. for production. But I'd try to hold out for a while if I can get this new clearcoat...fewer swirlmarks would be AWESOME!

Maybe some of you out there with MB connections can tell me if it's happening soon.

Here's an exerpt from the article. (I'd post the whole thing but it's pretty long.)

"World premiere at Mercedes-Benz: Innovative nano-particle clearcoat offers significantly greater scratch resistance and improved gloss
Say goodbye to swirl marks and hello to dark coloured paints? "

"Stuttgart, Dec 03, 2003
After four years of development work, an innovative new clear lacquer is set to go into series production at Mercedes-Benz at the end of 2003. Ground-breaking nano-technology ensures that the new product is substantially more scratch-resistant than conventional paint. The E, S, CL, SL and SLK-Class model series are the first cars in the world to be available with this new paint system, whilst customers of other Mercedes models can look forward to the increased scratch resistance of nano-paintwork from spring 2004. This new technology represents the Stuttgart-based car maker’s latest significant contribution towards considerably enhancing the already exemplary long-term quality and value retention of its passenger cars.

The newly developed clear lacquer, which contains microscopically small ceramic particles, hardens in the paintshop oven, forming an extensively cross-linked network. The paint is thus more effectively protected against scratches caused by mechanical car-washes, for example. The nano-particles provide a three-fold improvement in the scratch resistance of the paintwork and ensure visibly enhanced gloss over an extended period of time. Following extreme tests in a laboratory car-wash, Mercedes engineers noted an around 40-percent improvement in paint gloss compared to conventional clear lacquers.

Mercedes-Benz carried out extensive testing on the nano-particle clearcoat both in the laboratory and under everyday conditions. Even after several years of use, the more than 150 test cars involved in the long-term testing programme displayed significantly greater scratch resistance and enhanced paint gloss compared to vehicles with conventional paintwork. Added to which, the newly developed paint system also meets the stringent Mercedes standards in terms of the protection it offers from chemicals in the environment.

New nano-particle clearcoat will be introduced as standard for both metallic and non-metallic paint finishes."
Old 12-24-2003, 10:03 AM

2009 C63
Here is more info from autospies a few weeks ago...

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000207450.cfm
Old 12-25-2003, 12:11 AM

Supposed to be phased in early next year, but I haven't seen a date yet.
Ask your dealer to find out.
I'd consider waiting a few weeks for the paint upgrade.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also just found this,

http://www.benzworld.org/news/news.asp?id=254

looks like i might wait for a while to get my SL55
Old 12-26-2003, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Great artical thanks for posting it.... To me it seems the folks with black paint and people who regularly take their cars to the automated car washes are going to benifit the most.... Personally, I would never consider taking any car I own to a carwash, I don't care what kind it is or technique they use... My e500 arrives in a few weeks (perhaps I'm slumming to you e55 folks ) and concider the new paint not an issue to me. Call me paraniod but I don't think I want to be the guinea pig on something as importaint as the paint and good looks of my new car... Maybe I'm wrong but four years of testing doesn't seem like a whole lot of time..... Hopefully I'm worng and this turns out to be the new future of paint as it sounds very promising, but seems to me I remember other automakers trying to improve their paint with disastrous results (ford and chevy comes to mind)... The other thing that concerns me with being the "new kid on the block" with this paint would be getting future repairs from accidents... Who will apply the paint and what is this paint going to cost??? Obviously there will be somewhat of a learning curve for the typical autobody shop to apply the paint..... Just my .02
Old 12-26-2003, 01:36 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Good points Harley!

I've been debating whether to delay my E55 to assure me that this new clearcoat will be applied to my Jan Production car, but I think I'll just let it go. If it has the new clearcoat, fine. But if not I'm not going to lose my allotment because of it. I've had the car on order since April and the wait is killing me. (It seems I won't get the active cornering headlights either, I don't think any US cars have that yet) I don't mind the price increase from an 03 to an 04 as long as I get the latest equipment.

I'll now take a moment to ***** about how the US of A is always last to get the enhancements and improvments that the rest of the world gets to enjoy right away! What's the percentage of MB's produced that are sold in the US? I'm sure it's not a majority, but I'd hope a meaningful number.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:16 AM

2004 E500
Originally posted by EX-BEEMER
Good points Harley!

I've been debating whether to delay my E55 to assure me that this new clearcoat will be applied to my Jan Production car, but I think I'll just let it go. If it has the new clearcoat, fine. But if not I'm not going to lose my allotment because of it. I've had the car on order since April and the wait is killing me. (It seems I won't get the active cornering headlights either, I don't think any US cars have that yet) I don't mind the price increase from an 03 to an 04 as long as I get the latest equipment.

I'll now take a moment to ***** about how the US of A is always last to get the enhancements and improvments that the rest of the world gets to enjoy right away! What's the percentage of MB's produced that are sold in the US? I'm sure it's not a majority, but I'd hope a meaningful number.
Based on all of the complaints of the new E's electronics, etc., I'm very happy with other countries's buyers debugging the new technology before we see it