Sponsored by:

Acknowledging genuine expertise and great service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Acknowledging genuine expertise and great service

So here’s my not so short story. I'm running the Weistec s/c kit and crank pulley, built bottom end (courtesy Brooke) and ancillary mods including ported heads, bigger intake valves, LTHs, custom exhaust, LSD, 82mm tb, trunk tank, EC he, high stall converter, KC kit, water-meth kit.

From a hardware point of view, I've put in place everything I think should be there. On this front, Steve (Weistec) and Brooke have been very helpful, so a note of thanks to them. Both have regularly fielded novice enquiries from my side and have often obliged with an idiot’s guide-like approach for my benefit.

What remained was for the car's potential to be galvanized through the tune. Relevant is the fact that I live a gazillion miles away from those in the know and also the fact that I'm at 5,500 ft above sea level where the air is … well ... a lot less dense than any self-respecting petrol-head would like. I would think that remote tuning a car with a plethora of mods is challenging as is – and more so when the operating environment is atypical.

From the outset, the tune loaded was, seemingly inexplicably, way rich on my car – dipping into the 9s - while the same tune loaded on another Weistec car with similar mods yielded AFRs in the mid-11s. Steve devoted considerable time and effort to resolving issues with the tune and I'm grateful for that but the rich AFRs continued to mask the lurking potential.

Enter Jerry.

Jerry has previously helped out a number of times - particularly with matters tune-related.

With this in mind, on Sunday of last week, I sent Jerry an email soliciting his help with the tune. His response was swift. My email had barely departed my inbox when I received a response which, in short, was "Sure I can help with this", "I'm home with the family but I'll help you get this done today".

Four flashes later (interspersed with as many logged runs) and my AFRs were steadily creeping up to where we want them. A hardware hiccup intervened and we concluded proceedings on the basis that I'd contact Jerry when I was ready to resume the process.

I made contact yesterday evening and within minutes, I had another file in my inbox. I loaded it and put it to the test. The tune breathed new life into the car. My butt dyno told me instantaneously that we were close to where we need to be and this was confirmed in the logs. Jerry’s intervention has literally consolidated all my efforts with the car – and to his great credit, this was achieved from afar in hardly any time at all, I now have a real sense of the true potential of the Weistec unit combined with my other mods and it’s exciting.

I’m grateful to Jerry for bringing his considerable expertise to bear on the issue – and then on a Sunday when I had time to do some testing and provide feedback. – a true testament to the level of service on offer. So, yeah, Jerry, a big thanks to you brotha!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
Great to hear you are getting great service and the car is running as you are expecting. All those mods make me drool so I know if I had that investment going I would want it running right. You found a great person to help you.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Alright! Yeh, Jerry is great. Also, glad to hear you like the Weistec SC kit.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by black06c230
Great to hear you are getting great service and the car is running as you are expecting. All those mods make me drool so I know if I had that investment going I would want it running right. You found a great person to help you.
Originally Posted by jcjmw
Alright! Yeh, Jerry is great. Also, glad to hear you like the Weistec SC kit.
Yea, thanks guys. Jerry is a good man to have on your side. The car is a beast. No dyno numbers but I've measured it against me my mates e55 with 185 CP smaller SC pulley split cooling and some other supporting mods and once traction is no longer a factor (towards the end of 2nd gear), the potential of the Weistec unit becomes evident - my car opens up a sizable gap. Also boosting a solid 17+ psi at 5,500 ft above sea level (which translates to an approximate 3 psi loss) is not too shabby You do need to keep IATs in check but the KC (for cruising IATs) combined with water meth are doing the trick.