Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 350 Miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 350 Miles

My E55 finally arrived at the dealership on New Years Day and I picked it up yesterday. 350 miles later, mostly in the Sierra Nevada foothills north of Yosemite, it's even more than I expected. The torque curve is amazing, even though I've stayed mostly around 3000 to 4000 RPM. I always follow the recommended break in, and in this car, it doesn't seem much of a hardship - although I can't wait to see what 6000 RPM feels like. I found the steering and brakes pretty amazing too for a 4000 pound car, quite tossable on 30 to 70 MPH switchbacks. Without a doubt the most fun I've had in a car since my autocross and time trial days.

One complaint - the gas pedal feels a little strange with its half inch of cushioning. I think it interferes a little with throttle modulation, so I'll probably change that right a way. And one wish, that the clock was instead a combination oil temperature gauge and boost gauge.

Thanks to all the posters here who kept me entertained and informed while I waited through the last 8 months!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Re. the throttle response, make sure its in S mode and not C.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Norb, but definitely in S. I just noticed that the pedal felt a little strange so I reached down with my hand and grabbed it. Sort of like the Air Jordan of gas pedals!