Sponsored by:

Questions For You Veteran E55 Owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horse and Buggy
Questions For You Veteran E55 Owners...

Hey guys! Newbie to the forum although I've browsed on here for a long time (veteran MB owner, albeit non amg). Onto the meat of the conversation...

So for the past month or so I've been strongly considering picking up an E55 to replace my recently sold 04 Cobra. The car was great in the sense that it had instant torque and the powerband was broad, but the build quality and interior feel left a little to be desired (I knew this going in, my 2nd Cobra). I've been reading more and more about the E55s and they seem similar to the Cobra's in terms of power and delivery but essentially in a much nicer package.

I'm aware of 9qt oil changes etc. so necessary maintenance doesn't bother me but repair costs (like many) worry me as it isn't, or doesn't seem, easy to get a warranty on these cars like say an E63 through Carmax would be. So...

1) How do you guys recommend getting a warranty on one? Based off what I've gathered I'm now kind of against owning one without a warranty.
2) Are these DIY cars? Although I'm nowhere near a mechanic, I enjoy turning wrenches and doing my own work. Do you need STAR to reset simple things such as computers/sensors after brake pad changes like VAGCOM for VW/Audi?
3) Do these cars generally burn oil? Just out of curiosity (through valve seals, rings, etc.).
4) How do the auto's hold up to the added power of a pulley/tune?

Trying to narrow down my decision pretty quickly and I appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Honestly, get an SDS to diagnose issues, new intercooler pump, swap the airmatic to coilovers, and stick $1500 in the bank for when the SBC takes a **** or your fuel pumps leak, and you'll be set for the life of the car.

The only achillies heels of the W211 E55k is the Airmatic, fuel senders/pumps, and the SBC. Airmatic is easily remedied with set of coilovers+control arms, a few hours of turning wrenches, and a few minutes of programming. SBC... The requires a trip to a mechanic that can get the parts and can program it. And well, leake fuel tanks/senders/pumps may be as something as simple as a bad seal, or as big as replacing the fuel tank.

Wether people want to admit it or not, these cars are hitting the age where they are going to need SBC pump replacement or a fuel tank replacement at some point. Both cost $1500, so better to figure that in when you buy the car, and expect to replace either at some point in their life.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Youll love the E55 if you came from an 04 Cobra, the spirit of the car is very similar. When I first got my E three years ago I thought of it as a Crew Cab Terminator As much as I loved my modded 02 Lightning, I loved the E more no doubt partially due to the awesome interior and build quality.

1- If you're a competent technician, the warranty is a waste of $$. They're very expensive and the parts that are likely to fail on the E55 aren't particularly expensive or hard to come by used.

2- Out of all the late model AMGs , this is the most user friendly one by far. Own a STAR or know someone who does if you plan to modify/repair yourself.

3- Not any more than any other performance car. Higher mileage examples are certain to need valve stem seals, valve cover gaskets, rear main, etc. if they haven't been done recently, that's to be expected with any 10 year old performance car.

4- The automatic transmissions are ridiculously strong considering the stress they are under. Not to say you wont need to replace it, especially if you modify and race with sticky tires. Torsional fatigue is torsional fatigue regardless, and high torque+high weight +high mileage will eventually pull its card.

Good luck with whatever way you go !

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 12-02-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
You have good question, and your getting good answers.
Don't worry about having a warrenty - (I never had it)
Look for a car that has a good history, and less milage (you may have to pay more but in the long run it will cost you less)
I recently bought a sds unit, and I should have gotten one a lot sooner. If you pick up an e55, then look for here for an sds, and someone will steer you in the right direction to purchace one.
Use the search - You'll find the common items that go bad, and where to buy replacement parts, along with that you'll find some diy threads.
Good luck - and you'll be quite surprised with the tourqe of an ///AMG.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by justinwrock
Honestly, get an SDS to diagnose issues, new intercooler pump, swap the airmatic to coilovers, and stick $1500 in the bank for when the SBC takes a **** or your fuel pumps leak, and you'll be set for the life of the car.

The only achillies heels of the W211 E55k is the Airmatic, fuel senders/pumps, and the SBC. Airmatic is easily remedied with set of coilovers+control arms, a few hours of turning wrenches, and a few minutes of programming. SBC... The requires a trip to a mechanic that can get the parts and can program it. And well, leake fuel tanks/senders/pumps may be as something as simple as a bad seal, or as big as replacing the fuel tank.

Wether people want to admit it or not, these cars are hitting the age where they are going to need SBC pump replacement or a fuel tank replacement at some point. Both cost $1500, so better to figure that in when you buy the car, and expect to replace either at some point in their life.
all this - and a friend with an SDS

I haven't had the airmatic issue (yet) - and put over 30k on my daily driver...
I do have an extended warranty which has been fantastic... it's paid for $12k of stuff to be honest. Annoying things like door handles stop functioning isn't really a show-stopper to drive the car but it's annoying as hell when they do break and you're used to them working...

active headlamps are $1200, engine mounts (not covered in my warranty) were $1,400 (quote at the dealer), fuel sender/pump was $1200

yes these can be expensive cars, especially if you're getting dealer garage pricing - but independent shops and MB techs working on the side are awesome

Last edited by Toadster; 12-02-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
Sound advice has been given .. not much left for me to say really.
Apart from the couple of Achilles heels that were mentioned already .. pretty solid overall. I should not have wasted money on warranty but that's just me. I did not make much use of it. If you are not a wrencher then recommend you get the warranty. It'll pay for itself pretty quickly if you get the right one. However, the age of the cars as they are now, may have already had many of the Achilles heels taken care of, so that's also something to watch for.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Also, the a/c is underwhelming and the stereo is mediocre. But I still love it after 3 years of ownership. To me, it is the last of the classic-looking Mercedes. Everything after the W211 went all swoopy and modern.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by EeFiftyFive
Hey guys! Newbie to the forum although I've browsed on here for a long time (veteran MB owner, albeit non amg). Onto the meat of the conversation...

So for the past month or so I've been strongly considering picking up an E55 to replace my recently sold 04 Cobra. The car was great in the sense that it had instant torque and the powerband was broad, but the build quality and interior feel left a little to be desired (I knew this going in, my 2nd Cobra). I've been reading more and more about the E55s and they seem similar to the Cobra's in terms of power and delivery but essentially in a much nicer package.

I'm aware of 9qt oil changes etc. so necessary maintenance doesn't bother me but repair costs (like many) worry me as it isn't, or doesn't seem, easy to get a warranty on these cars like say an E63 through Carmax would be. So...

1) How do you guys recommend getting a warranty on one? Based off what I've gathered I'm now kind of against owning one without a warranty.
I would agree with this. I would call a few places and find out what are the mileage and age restrictions to getting an aftermarket warranty. If you can extend a factory warranty that would be the best option. A lot of aftermarket warranties are exclusionary, so find one with the shortest list.
2) Are these DIY cars? Although I'm nowhere near a mechanic, I enjoy turning wrenches and doing my own work. Do you need STAR to reset simple things such as computers/sensors after brake pad changes like VAGCOM for VW/Audi?
I would say this is a DIY car if you have a large space available to work on it, and have a large tool collection or don't mind shelling out money for new tools or specialty tools. I can turn a wrench as well but found out quickly that having this as my only car was a bad idea without a warranty. IMO, DIY becomes less of an option when you have no other cars to drive. Although I guess having your own SDS can be considered DIY, having to shell out a couple grand for a special diagnostic tool seems to defeat the cost savings of DIY, which is the reason most people go DIY route in the first place.
3) Do these cars generally burn oil? Just out of curiosity (through valve seals, rings, etc.).
I would suggest that valve seals will wear on any car with enough miles, and probably a lot of E55 owners have worn seals but just don't know it or haven't done leak-down tests because nothing has broken yet. My seals wore and I have about 144 thousand miles. To add to that, I also had/have worn rings (compression good, oil still getting past pistons into combustion chamber) and because I can't afford the downtime on my car while doing a rebuild on my own, I had to find a used engine and my car is currently sitting in a shop awaiting an engine swap. In the meantime I am using my wife's car which leaves her and our kid with nothing while i'm at work. This also points back to the DIY thing... It can be DIY if you don't encounter any major repairs or have another vehicle to drive if you do.
I think they hold up well enough, but you should always expect to compromise some form of reliability when modding cars.

Trying to narrow down my decision pretty quickly and I appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance.
Got some good answers here, all were fairly optimistic. I'll answer as well, and in this case, I'll be that guy. Answers above in blue.

Last edited by bobgodd; 12-02-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Horse and Buggy
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated! Great points brought up, definitely am going to consider all of them when I start to shop around for an E55. Currently looking for one to test drive around me so I can get a feel for it before I set my mind on purchasing.

Any other things you guys feel like sharing, I'm all ears
Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi S4 (sold), E46 M3 (sold) 05 E55 silver/black(sold)
Talking

I'm coming up on 2 years of ownership of my 05. Car has been reliable and tough.

I don't recommend a warranty, just keeping a rainy day fund.

Yes, for the most part these are DIY cars. You don't need STAR to do brake pad/rotor changes, there are ways around that. My friend and I did my brakes without STAR. I switched to AKEBONO pads and I'm very pleased with this set up.

My car has around 141,000 miles on it, has pulley, tune, larger intercooler and seems to go through a quart every 6,000 miles or so. I do a lot of freeway driving and typically cruise in the 70-90mph range.

These transmissions are near bulletproof. Just read through the threads. I'm near the weaker end of tuned cars on this site. There's guys putting down A LOT more power with no issues.

My suggestion is that you drive every E55 you can get your hands on. If you live near anyone with an E55, ride around in that, drive it if they let you and get tuned in to how it feels and sounds. These cars are almost teenagers now and low mileage doesn't mean much anymore. I'd prefer an average to high mileage car with records and receipts than a garage queen.

You will burn through fuel and rear tires. Get used to it. I'm about to go on my 4th set of rears in less than two years and I very, very rarely race from lights or never do burn outs. My rears wear evenly too, car just has a lot of torque.

Last edited by KMS11; 12-04-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
KMS11 is right on the money. When I fell in love with these cars I new what had to be done. I researched all the faults and went to work. Pulled intire airmatic out ,sold it on ebay , installed coil over kit....case closed forever on that future headach!!! Replaced both batteries,did complete service. Trans shifts like crap so pulled valve body, sent it to IPT, Did a EC tune on tcu and got it where I liked it.Split the cooler system to bring temps down and boxed in the intercooler. Next is to buy a Star setup for the future. Also I buy almost everything off Ebay for pennys on the dollar. All and all a fantastic car.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Horse and Buggy
Sounds good guys! Hopefully will be headed down to drive one on a dealer lot this weekend...I will update and let you know how it goes!

Only cars I am really considering are a B8 S4 and the E55...and I'm not wild about the S4 - very numb to drive, just extremely practical. Hopefully the E55 will have me sold
Old 12-05-2014, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I can make a descent contribution here since I have owned 8 terminators, magnum powers built lightning, and about 14 other mustangs since 2002 lol.

I too made the jump from svtperformance.com and the termy world to the e55. I never looked back, you will love the car brotha. A well built stage 3 e55 will wipe the floor with most twin screw cobras on the street.

I have seen it with my own eyes and run them myself multiple times. These cars are not hard to wrench on, and are fairly basic mechanically. Picking up a star with developer mode can be done for under $400 which is a great investment. Used parts on these cars are plentiful too should something go wrong.

Make the switch and never look back. Hit me up if you have any other questions or concerns.