Weird Airmatic Behaviour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Weird Airmatic Behaviour

Something weird is going on with one of my cars. One of my cars would completely dump on the 2 rear shocks after leaving it for 3-4 days without driving, just the rear. No big deal, the Airmatic is probably on it's way out and I'm gonna be putting coilovers anyway.

Here's the weird part, I took out the battery 5 days ago and now, the car has stayed at it's ride height all the way round and hasn't leaked and lowered from the rear at all Am I missing something here? Why would the Airmatic strut leak when the main battery is connected and not when it's disconnected....
Old 12-02-2014, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
If there is one thing I have learned in the last 6 years is that the airmatic systems is a weird and confounding system. Mine is prone to all types of weird behavior, instead of freaking out and having nightmares about 3k repair bills I just ignore it....lol. When it fails it fails.

FWIW I have cured all kinds of potentially expensive repairs and codes with a simple disconnect of the main battery.

That probably doesn't help..lol.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
If there is one thing I have learned in the last 6 years is that the airmatic systems is a weird and confounding system. Mine is prone to all types of weird behavior, instead of freaking out and having nightmares about 3k repair bills I just ignore it....lol. When it fails it fails.

FWIW I have cured all kinds of potentially expensive repairs and codes with a simple disconnect of the main battery.

That probably doesn't help..lol.
Well I'm not really worried because I'm replacing it no matter what. It's part of my build project but I'm just wondering, is there something wrong with the struts in the back or what? I wouldn't mind selling them. I wouldn't sell them if they're faulty of course but now I'm confused. The pump has not run for 6 days now. It hasn't gone down a millimeter Before I removed the battery the back, only the back, used to fully dump in 3 days if I didn't turn on the ignition. It would pump back but now it's not even going down and there is no ignition or battery

I would love for the strut to be ok because then I can sell the 4 and pump as a set and get some money back from the coilover conversion....

This confusing, someone tell me WTF is going on