MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Do you mean 07 or were there cars made without the SBC in 06
Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Toadster, you took my thoughts exactly. If Heissrod had to walk 5 miles or install a lead acid wet battery in his car I am sure he would. Agm is new technology but both work just fine.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
So the car is now connected to a charger.

It has two functions on it. 6 amp and 2 amp. Which setting should I be charging it at for now. And will I have to give the AUX a 2amp charge once Im done with the trunk battery?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
The AGM battery is supposed to last longer than a flooded one. For the small additional cost and the additional years you'd get from an AGM, I'd just go AGM.

As for charging, is it a smart charger or manual? If it's a smart charger, should be fine at 6 amps. If it's manual, it's still ok, but you have to keep an eye on the voltage as it just keeps charging even if the battery is fully charged. The 2 amp setting will just take a lot longer to charge. You could also charge the aux battery at 6 amps, because it has less amp hours, should take less time to charge up.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Yes its a smart charger. It will go into trickle/maintenance mode once the charge is full.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Charge overnight on the 6 amp setting at least 12 hours.
At this time I would take out the aux battery and either replace it or at least get it load tested. The issue here that I see is that as long as the car starts people neglect the aux battery because it is behind the scene so to speak.
Good luck.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Toadster
energy is energy - lead acid battery will start and run your car like an AGM one will
True, but why cheap out $10 for a lesser item that is rated to last half as long?

AGM Specifications from Advanced Auto
  • 12 volt
  • 850 CCA / 900 CA

Originally Posted by Critter
Toadster, you took my thoughts exactly. If Heissrod had to walk 5 miles or install a lead acid wet battery in his car I am sure he would. Agm is new technology but both work just fine.
You assume I break down right next to the SAMS club and have a SAMS membership.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by HeissRod
True, but why cheap out $10 for a lesser item that is rated to last half as long?

AGM Specifications from Advanced Auto
  • 12 volt
  • 850 CCA / 900 CA

You assume I break down right next to the SAMS club and have a SAMS membership.
it's not $10 - it's $60 (or about 54% more cost than the cheaper one)
Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Getting ready to zone out and I have a last question. Am I supposed to leave the trunk open while trickle charging overnight. Seems counter intuitive seeing as how the trunk lights turns on, but on the instructions it says to charge battery in a well ventilated area..confused.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by A.M.
Getting ready to zone out and I have a last question. Am I supposed to leave the trunk open while trickle charging overnight. Seems counter intuitive seeing as how the trunk lights turns on, but on the instructions it says to charge battery in a well ventilated area..confused.
theoretically the battery vents to the outside of the car, so as long as the garage has some airflow you should be fine with the trunk closed, or at least enough to turn off the light
Old 01-07-2015, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Originally Posted by Toadster
it's not $10 - it's $60 (or about 54% more cost than the cheaper one)
Are you ignoring the coupon code provided by the original poster?

Originally Posted by A.M.
The trunk light will turn off after a while. There is no harm in leaving the trunk open.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Shes alive! no codes in the cluster. Even sang me a little song when I started it. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 PM

2006 E55
Had the same problem a few months back, mine was due to the battery control module. Replaced under warranty.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM

2006 E55
Ok Im having the same issue. A few months back I had the RED " low convenience options" pop up. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery control module under warranty. Now I have the same message but in WHITE. Wtf is going on? Mind you I did not drive the car for 2 days and it has been very cold in the Bay Area.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Check voltage on the aux battery, probably low12's if!!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
My car is at the dealers right now for this EXACT issue, I picked the car up off them 6 weeks ago, they had to replace the AUX battery before I picked it up because it was gone, SBC messages were popping up on the test drive, after this was replaced, about a week later almost every morning I would get the Convenience messages error until I drove it for about 10-20 minutes, eventually went to unlock it one morning and nothing, no power anywhere, had to use the metal key insert to get into the boot, I got roadside assistance to come out and jump me, he tested the main battery in the boot and said it had dropped a cell and was not charging correctly, his tester said, 44% - not charging - Replace, they said if I had trickle charged it back up it would just die again in a matter of minutes/hours/days..., after a heated phone call I took it back to the dealers and wrote out a whole page of things I wanted remedied, even came up with symptoms of things in an effort of them replacing common maintenance parts for me which seems to have worked, the last time I called them they were waiting on parts, I am hopefully due to get it back today so I can start fitting all my mods that have been slowly arriving and are starting to pile up in my garage.

Just out of curiosity and still trying to keep it on subject, when these batteries are replaced, is there anything in STAR that needs to be reset so that issues do not arise again, thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
These cars are not like a GM or Ford, they actually tell you when something is not right, owners must start to react to the warning before it goes terminal.
Our cars are also not like BMW where you have to "introduce and acquaint" the new battery so the alternator will charge it properly. Remember BMW is the left field of automotive engineering, Bling, bling, bling,
Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by menace2sobriety
My car is at the dealers right now for this EXACT issue, I picked the car up off them 6 weeks ago, they had to replace the AUX battery before I picked it up because it was gone, SBC messages were popping up on the test drive, after this was replaced, about a week later almost every morning I would get the Convenience messages error until I drove it for about 10-20 minutes, eventually went to unlock it one morning and nothing, no power anywhere, had to use the metal key insert to get into the boot, I got roadside assistance to come out and jump me, he tested the main battery in the boot and said it had dropped a cell and was not charging correctly, his tester said, 44% - not charging - Replace, they said if I had trickle charged it back up it would just die again in a matter of minutes/hours/days..., after a heated phone call I took it back to the dealers and wrote out a whole page of things I wanted remedied, even came up with symptoms of things in an effort of them replacing common maintenance parts for me which seems to have worked, the last time I called them they were waiting on parts, I am hopefully due to get it back today so I can start fitting all my mods that have been slowly arriving and are starting to pile up in my garage.

Just out of curiosity and still trying to keep it on subject, when these batteries are replaced, is there anything in STAR that needs to be reset so that issues do not arise again, thanks

Sorry are you talking to me or the OG poster? Btw did you have the red or white sign?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 06E55BEAST
Sorry are you talking to me or the OG poster? Btw did you have the red or white sign?
Sorry mate, should have been more specific (still new to the forum and getting used to it)

My message was for the OG poster

My warnings for Convenience features came up in WHITE and would continue popping up as I drove, I had to keep clearing the messages

On the initial test drive with the failed AUX battery the SBC warning was in RED

I was initially doing a lot of playing around with Torque Pro while the car was switched with accessories on etc and playing around with the Command unit etc when I first got it home, so initially I thought it was me draining the battery from doing that
I was not too concerned at first as it was already booked back into the dealers to get some sales conditions met by them to replace a few things I requested, but the main battery eventually failed 3 days before it was due to go back into them, was a 5 year old battery (ex Japan)
Old 01-13-2015, 05:01 PM

2006 E55
Sorry mate, should have been more specific (still new to the forum and getting used to it)

My message was for the OG poster

My warnings for Convenience features came up in WHITE and would continue popping up as I drove, I had to keep clearing the messages

On the initial test drive with the failed AUX battery the SBC warning was in RED

I was initially doing a lot of playing around with Torque Pro while the car was switched with accessories on etc and playing around with the Command unit etc when I first got it home, so initially I thought it was me draining the battery from doing that
I was not too concerned at first as it was already booked back into the dealers to get some sales conditions met by them to replace a few things I requested, but the main battery eventually failed 3 days before it was due to go back into them, was a 5 year old battery (ex Japan)

Yeah I dont have any SBC warnings or anything related to that...knock on wood. I just had the red "low convenience options" a month ago and dissapeared after the battery control module was replaced. But now since yesterday I have the white message. Stupid dealerships.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I guess you may need to do a load test on your main battery as you may have one starting to fail like mine did?
Old 01-13-2015, 05:22 PM

2006 E55
I guess you may need to do a load test on your main battery as you may have one starting to fail like mine did?
It hasnt been replaced I dont think since the car was first bought in 06. I have a 50k service coming up soon I guess they can look at it then.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
Having that message on and off puts strain on all the electronics especially the alternator. It's very simple to hook a volt meter to + and - to see what voltage it has while car is off and while it's running. And simply go to the zone for a new battery a drop it in.. . Something I surely wouldn't be paying a dealer to diagnose and or replace.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by forcefed4door
Having that message on and off puts strain on all the electronics especially the alternator. It's very simple to hook a volt meter to + and - to see what voltage it has while car is off and while it's running. And simply go to the zone for a new battery a drop it in.. . Something I surely wouldn't be paying a dealer to diagnose and or replace.

Could it be that the vehicle was not driven for about 48 hours and thats why it came on? I do plan doing a load test tonight though.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
I let my car sit for awhile too and noticed my battery voltage on AMG Screen via 63 cluster says I'm at 12 volts cold. 13.8-14.0 when car is on. It won't go past 14 volts.

I was thinking of taking my battery out of trunk and taking to auto zone to have it charged. Any suggestions?

On a side note. I noticed my DRL LED would not light up until i started driving the car daily. Now they both turn on. Im guessing because of 13.8 volts.

Im worried about running WOT with less then 14.2 volts also.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery dead? Help...