W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car now 5 months old, and I just realized...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally posted by WannaBeAMG
....or plop them behind the wheel of a Caddy CTS, or Infiniti G35.

and most of us dont have that extra $25 or $30 grand. thats why the vette is such an attractive package to soo many americans. an outstanding performance car at a reasonable price. see not all of us are jet-setting power brokers, real-estate tycoons and silver-spooners.

Hey...I make my money the old fashioned way....selling drugs!!!

I think we are all getting way to involved in this thread....I think the real point here is that we like MB because it is viewed as a luxury item. When's the last time you viewed a chevy as a luxury?? Sure some people can only afford chevys...thats fine.
Also I can be a Euro snob......My grandparents came over on the boat!!

I love driving a benz that not everyone else can afford!!!

Ha Ha

Old 01-16-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 M6, '05 Lambo Gallardo
Originally posted by ThemisN
I never said I wont give due respect. I DO. I think they are nice and they have some *****. Do I ever picture myself buying one? Absolutely not. Why? BC my bias that has been created based on what I have seen as the brands history or through friend's experience.

That is essentially what I was trying to say up above and I continued to ramble...too late at night.
I appreciate your stance, however, open your mind and give it a try. In my 20's, when I knew everything, there we many cars I said I would NEVER drive. Now in my late 30's I have owned almost all of them. I am a better person from the experience as a result. Funny...I had such an anti-Porsche bias because I couldn't stand the typical Porsche owner...actually I still can't, but I really love the cars enough to have ordered my 3rd 996TT.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:24 PM

ThemisN: if you read Stiggs' comment it points up the reason the consumer mags and rating services like JD Power are always obsessing about 'value'. Value is supposed to be blind to reputation and filters out the potential attraction which unattainability offers. That is, lots of people like Stiggs (and most of us here I suspect) buy the cars we buy mostly because we love the actual physical package, but at least part of the cache is that most people can't afford them...which makes them less common and thus more desirable.
The next step up the ladder is the exotics. Ever look at a Bentley? Take the Arnage Mulliner-- a nearly 6000 lb behemoth which does 0-60 in 5.5 sec. Personally I don't think the interior, or the performance, or the exterior appearance is the bottom line reason 90% of its owners choose this car. There are much cheaper cars which are prettier, faster and almost as luxurious. But the unattainability factor is a huge selling point.
In fact, prices on such cars HAVE to be high to ensure that this unattainability factor is not diluted. If the same cars could be manufactured more cheaply (and thus in greater quantities), the target customer base would actually view this as a negative.

So value is important for the non-brand-conscious consumer looking for the most vehicle for the dollar.
People who are luxury brand-loyal, are often prioritizing reputation over value---which is fine if their finances allow this.
But I would guess that the large majority of car buyers view value as being much more important than reputation. If you can afford to rank reputation or mystique over value, it just means you're in a higher income bracket than most (or have a bigger trust fund or silver spoon or whatever).

Last edited by amg55; 01-16-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I think you guys have deviated a little from the original point of this thread, and that was to say how awesome the E55 is and that the new Vette (especially the upcoming Z06 which by no means is produced in the numbers quoted earlier) is awesome as well. Nada mas amigos.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally posted by Dr Chill
I think you guys have deviated a little from the original point of this thread, and that was to say how awesome the E55 is and that the new Vette (especially the upcoming Z06 which by no means is produced in the numbers quoted earlier) is awesome as well. Nada mas amigos.

Us deviate?? Heck no!!!!

Tell us the truth....have you made love to that car yet?? You know what I mean....a little tail pipe action?

If I could I would make love to mine!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 06:07 PM

2004 E55
see not all of us are jet-setting power brokers, real-estate tycoons and silver-spooners. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, 50 grand, 60 grand, 80 grand. How much do you have to spend to be one of the above?

Last edited by EDWARD CONROY; 01-16-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:19 PM

Dr. Chill was only trying to find some common appreciation for the E55. and people started getting on his case as soon as he mentions interest in the new corvette. why? because... god forbid its American...... and.......... its a Chevy

to me thats just silly.

so it aint everyones cup of tea. thats absolutely fine. why not share your love for the 55 as the thread was meant. not turn it into a chevy bashing thread.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:22 AM

2004 E55
Yeah, the thread did take a nasty turn, which is a shame with this crowd because there is no doubt we appreciate fine automobiles and there are many different things to consider when you're talking fine. Looks, power, handling, a nice overall package at a price that gives real value, etc. I haven't owned as many cars as some of you, but I've come to the conclusion that for me it has to be the thrill of the ride. It has to be there every single time. Otherwise, I don't have that comfortable feeling that it was money well spent. I had it to some degree with my C32, more so with my 325IS, believe it or not, but totally with my Porsche and now the E55. My friend is on his second Vette and I know from riding with him that the thrill would be there. And here's a funny thing. With the C32 a part of me kept thinking, I wish I'd gotten another BMW. With the E55 I don't have those thoughts. I'm sure anyone who's owned both knows where I'm coming from.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:10 AM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
Originally posted by hllatif
THE NEW C6 CORVETTE. What a pathetic Ferrari imitation.
That's true, kinda looks like the 360 Modena
Old 01-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by 03E55AMG
That's true, kinda looks like the 360 Modena
C5 already resembled the Ferrari before, what's the big deal??? Chevy does not a copy cat like Kia.