e55 vs c63 rotors for E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mercedes 71 280sl. Porsche 930 . Ducati mh900 and ps1000
e55 vs c63 rotors for E63

Hi guys
I need front rotors on the cheap. WILL NOT SPEND 1000 unless I have to.
From the reading I have been doing the regular c63 rotors fit the E63.
Can someone confirm the E55 will also fit?
What is the main difference with c63 and E55 rotors since they are around the same price ?
Thanks
Erick
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
E63 are unique to themselves, unfortunately you can't retrofit the E55 rotors onto the E63 - and yes, they're pricey...

hopefully someone can chime in, if nothing else maybe find someone who has some discounts, and if not - go for a nice lightweight set from the online vendors if you're going to spend the money - you may as well get some extra benefit from it
Old 01-14-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by Toadster
E63 are unique to themselves, unfortunately you can't retrofit the E55 rotors onto the E63 - and yes, they're pricey...

hopefully someone can chime in, if nothing else maybe find someone who has some discounts, and if not - go for a nice lightweight set from the online vendors if you're going to spend the money - you may as well get some extra benefit from it
Toaster is right, go for one of the online vendors. Little over half the cost of OEM and much better rotors. Not totally sure, was researching my previous E63 and I think possibly, maybe, the C63 fronts will work. If they do there is a thread on this forum that I read it on. So do some searching. In the end, keep the 63 the way its supposed to and engineered to be and put the two-piece rotors on it. Rear are overkill to do the 2-piece but its matching looks. I really don't like solids on the back, but only for looks. Likely makes no diff at all working wise. The money sucks, and its one of the most expensive repairs you will do, but....... do it right and you won't have worries.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Do either of you guys know what makes the two rotors (e55 and e63) are different, fitment wise? Other than the 63 being two piece and more efficient. If you go to racing brake they are the same exact part number.... The info may be out there and I apologize in advance, but this is the first time I've seen some definitive no's on here without it just being "don't be cheap!" lol
Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mercedes 71 280sl. Porsche 930 . Ducati mh900 and ps1000
It's sometime hard to get an awnser without a comment on this board.
It's quite unique to this board
I am on Porsche, Ducati ,vintage Mercedes , bmw board and never get this ,
I asked for a simple question. Do e55 and c63 rotors fit ?.nothing more . I am not cheap. My e63 was a 100 000 car , if I am luck 25000 today . I am not spending 2000 on rotors , don't care it it was not designed that way . This car was designed for the first owner who sells it back after 4 years .mercedes does not care about 2nd hand owners like in the past.
Sorry for the rant but this board is to much sometimes
Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 PM

2007 E63
I get it. Nobody wants to give out any information without something in return. Seems like a good (small) group of guys that frequent this section, most of which are 55 guys. I just don't frankly have the time or really much knowledge to give about the platform. I'm typically stuck on the dyno. Maybe someone out there won't mind sharing that little tidbit though and I will begin to have some knowledge about the platform.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by ertech
It's sometime hard to get an awnser without a comment on this board.
It's quite unique to this board
I am on Porsche, Ducati ,vintage Mercedes , bmw board and never get this ,
I asked for a simple question. Do e55 and c63 rotors fit ?.nothing more . I am not cheap. My e63 was a 100 000 car , if I am luck 25000 today . I am not spending 2000 on rotors , don't care it it was not designed that way . This car was designed for the first owner who sells it back after 4 years .mercedes does not care about 2nd hand owners like in the past.
Sorry for the rant but this board is to much sometimes
You should of never bought the car if you are not willing to pay the price. Im sure the info is out there somewhere, some people may not know the answer. This is not AMG Engineering 101. And for the 63 brakes being more efficient, that is pretty subjective.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
C63 rotors will fit. E55s have different calipers and the rotors are different in dimension.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
E55 rotors bolt right on. No issues, no dimension problems, no pad contact issues. Tried it before when I had two cars on my lift. And the e63 has been running the rotors now for over 15k. Also installed the rotors for the same guy when he bought a cls63 and put 55k rotors on it. It's the cheap way out and I wouldn't advise it but, factually they do fit without issue. If anyone says they don't show my pictures and depth gauges and measuring calipers on them to dispute there fitment. From experience I'm telling you they do fit but again it's a cheap skate way out.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
E55 rotors bolt right on. No issues, no dimension problems, no pad contact issues. Tried it before when I had two cars on my lift. And the e63 has been running the rotors now for over 15k. Also installed the rotors for the same guy when he bought a cls63 and put 55k rotors on it. It's the cheap way out and I wouldn't advise it but, factually they do fit without issue. If anyone says they don't show my pictures and depth gauges and measuring calipers on them to dispute there fitment. From experience I'm telling you they do fit but again it's a cheap skate way out.

do you know if e55 and c63 rotors have the same dimensions?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
I appreciate the info, that's what I was looking for. I totally understand that they aren't for the application, but when I went to racing brake to check the prices I noticed they were the same part number between the two. Thanks again!

Last edited by zwhill; 01-15-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
do you know if e55 and c63 rotors have the same dimensions?
I'm pretty sure they are. I've mounted a set of 2 piece E63 rotors, on a friend's C63 before but never remounted the calipers with new pads and burn the brakes in or check for clearances. So can't confirm without a doubt for you.

And yes it's not desired but I personally did a track day in my friends e63 that we mounted a set of e55 rotors due to availability and price point he was trying to cheap out on, and I can say without any hesitation the rotors and brakes did not fatigue or show excessive wear due to the cross pairing of e63 calipers/pads to E55 rotors after the day at the road course.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
between the posts there is a lot of model swapping of rotors. Quite confusing to a newbie or someone who has not done many searches.

C63 rotors will fit the E63. Will they work as well??? I have no clue, however I would not feel comfortable at all driving with anything that is not meant to be on the car or designed for the car. These cars are driven way to hard and at too high speeds to skimp on the brakes or tires.

Many posts even from years back say the 55's do not work or fit. However there appears several members have done this and they do work. Would I try it, no. Spend the money and get what is right for the car to begin with. Just a thought, if a bad accident were to occur and be the 63's fault, during the investigation the insurance company might, just might see that the wrong type rotors were used and find fault with that, then it would be a headache to deal with. They will find any reason to not pay what they are supposed too.

Correct way to do things would be to get the Racing Brake rotors and OEM pads. There are many many threads on this forum that cover this question. It has been beat to death.