Sponsored by:

Valve Stem Seal Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Valve Stem Seal Replacement Cost

So I picked up an 04 E55 for a smoking (literally!) deal and the dealer was less than forthcoming about the smoke on startup- of course they had started the day I looked at it early in the AM, knowing I was coming to look, and while I checked the headers for a cold start, it didn't smoke so that was checked off the list and I went into looking at other things.... Well it's been a week and after it sat for 2 days- whoof- blue smoke on start and went away... Let it sit over night and again, smoke on cold start.
No smoke otherwise, just your typical valve guide stem seal smoke on cold start....

I have seen the DIY with the heads on and it seems tedious, but doable- but I really don't feel like doing this on my daily. The car came with some big Vossens that I will be selling to help fund this and I am only into the car for 12k so i am still on the good side. It's very clean and other than that, it's very sharp- I was expecting to have to put some money into it.....

Anyone had this don't at NOT the dealer- I couldn't imagine what that would cost! I'm just trying to gauge if this is going to be a 1500 deal or a 4500 deal...

Anyone have any idea what I should be looking at in $$?

Thanks and it sure is one fast sled!

Phil in Atlanta
Old 01-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
If you're in Atlanta, you need to talk to Buckhead Imports Performance (BIP).

Price, couldn't tell you as I'm about to do this myself but as a heads off procedure by personal preference.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:51 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
If you're in Atlanta, you need to talk to Buckhead Imports Performance (BIP).

Price, couldn't tell you as I'm about to do this myself but as a heads off procedure by personal preference.
Yup- going to... Just trying to figure out what to expect
Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
You won't regret it. They've surprised on more than a few occasions now on above and beyond service, proactively too.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
you should start with a compression test then a leak down test. That will determine where the leak is coming from. It may be rings and worn cylinders ( out of round ) or it could be the valve stem seals.

Does it smoke just at start up? Or does it smoke under acceleration?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Max.H
you should start with a compression test then a leak down test. That will determine where the leak is coming from. It may be rings and worn cylinders ( out of round ) or it could be the valve stem seals.

Does it smoke just at start up? Or does it smoke under acceleration?
It smokes on a cold start and when sitting for a while. I was over at his place the other day and saw it. Probably smoked for a good 2-3 seconds when started. The SC was warm to the touch. When he rev'd it up to show off his exhaust it did not smoke (I may of missed it, can't remember). It smelled like oil.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
It smokes on a cold start and when sitting for a while. I was over at his place the other day and saw it. Probably smoked for a good 2-3 seconds when started. The SC was warm to the touch. When he rev'd it up to show off his exhaust it did not smoke (I may of missed it, can't remember). It smelled like oil.
Yea- I will do the comp and leak down test before I spend any money... It's just pretty typical of what I've seen.
I also will check the PCV system too - that has been brought up too.
Down for the count with another sinus infection- so I'll get around to it this weekend.... Hopefully