W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New E55 owner with some questions even after searching and lurking on this board for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 AMG E55
New E55 owner with some questions even after searching and lurking on this board for

Great community you have here!, I own a 2006 E55 AMG and very happy with it. It seems, I have IC pump failure so I ordered a 010 pump to replace the ailing factory one.

Here are a few issues I could not find answers to
1.)Throttle pedal cover with the round dots keeps moving up. Is there a fix for that or do I need to find another pedal cover and replace it?
2.)Can I drive the car with the hardest suspension setting all the time or will it affect the airbags in time vs driving in the softest setting?
3.)During my initial maintenance I replaced my rear diff fluid with 75w-140. Is that the correct weight for this car?
4.)I would like to replace the spark plugs and wires as soon as I can, I noticed the clamps on the Air boxes to the Throttle Body are those one time use ones. Where can I find a replacement screw reusable ones and what sizes fit the best for that application?
5.)When doing the spark plugs I was thinking of going to a colder plug to prep for future mods. I’m going through the whole car for reliability sake and don’t foresee myself adding power for maybe at least a year. Is it a mood point to replace them with a colder plug now while being stock?
6.)Is the stock supercharger lubricated? If it is does it use its own lubrication or does it use the engine’s oil. (Found a website selling oil for the supercharger?)
7.)Does any vendor sell an upgraded radiator? I will be doing the IC radiator shortly after all other basic maintenance it done.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I’m new to MB, I have recently have owned Porsche's and have children now and needed a four door. I figured a super sedan would do the trick!

My Best
Eric
Old 01-19-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 65 Nova
Hi Eric,

I'm new too and will answer your questions that I know.

1 - No answer
2 - The settings are for the shock dampening. Airbags just do ride height.
3 - Check your manual? or -- http://www.mercsections.com/docs/e/
4&5 - No answer
6 - It uses Mobil Jet Oil (aviation) There are good write ups on here.
7 - I don't think anyone here has messed with the stock one. Just the IC one.

If I answered incorrectly the expertGuru's will chime in.

Get better at your search skills (above, right) Your searching for the way someone ELSE explained it. Not you. I have had to "re-word" the same thing ALOT and suddenly............answers!!!!!!

Enjoy your E

Rob

Last edited by RobE55; 01-19-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:30 PM

2006 SL65 AMG, 2014 E350, 2012 ML350 Bluetec
#5 - I wondered the same thing when looking at mods, and I replaced my plugs with colder ones before doing anything else. I drove for about 5k miles with no issues before I went with the Eurocharged stage 1 kit. I'm no technician, but if you are only going one step colder you won't have any issues being stock, and you'll have a lot less to worry about later on.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 976 Likes on 759 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
" 2.)Can I drive the car with the hardest suspension setting all the time or will it affect the airbags in time vs driving in the softest setting?"
- Read this. Look for Y53/1y1 and Y54/1y1 solenoid valves. Figure out what they do and if they are energized when the key is off.

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...2007-31-02.pdf

Hint: there is much more training material available on that site....

"4.)I would like to replace the spark plugs and wires as soon as I can, I noticed the clamps on the Air boxes to the Throttle Body are those one time use ones. Where can I find a replacement screw reusable ones and what sizes fit the best for that application?"
-Seriously? Measure the diameter. Or, if you don't have calipers, wrap a piece of string around it and measure the length. The clamp size is (length/pi = diameter) with pi = 3.14. And why do you want to replace the clamps? They don't need to come off.
(BTW, the y-connector to the throttle body has two plastic spring clips. One on top, one on the bottom that is impossible to see. Bend either too much and they break.) Patience required to locate the one on the bottom.

" 5.)When doing the spark plugs I was thinking of going to a colder plug to prep for future mods. I’m going through the whole car for reliability sake and don’t foresee myself adding power for maybe at least a year. Is it a mood point to replace them with a colder plug now while being stock?"
-If you're not performing mods that will increase the combustion chamber temperature, why are you thinking about installing colder spark plugs? Think about this for a minute and you'll have your answer.

" 6.)Is the stock supercharger lubricated? If it is does it use its own lubrication or does it use the engine’s oil. (Found a website selling oil for the supercharger?)"
- Start here:
http://www.hehlhans.de/motorg55-7.htm
google/translate or a native German language speaker is your friend with this site. Absaugen is to vacuum out and auffuellen is to fill. Syringe available from amazon.com. Oil available from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

" 7.)Does any vendor sell an upgraded radiator? I will be doing the IC radiator shortly after all other basic maintenance it done."
-Which radiator? Water, oil, or heat exchanger? If heat exchanger, contact Shardul for a PLM and look for my post on tips for installation.

Have you purchased your spare crankshaft position sensor and tools for installing it on the side of the road yet?

Search some more, then ask. Lots of stuff in the FAQs on benzworld.org.

Welcome to the world of Mercedes. Ask Shardul about a diagnostic system. With a W211 you are going to want one.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 AM

2006 AMG E55
Thank you Everyone for the feedback, I'll refine my searches to get better results.

Eric
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55, 1978 280SL, 2007 ML63
I believe the e55 needs 85w90 as it does not have a limited slip diff. http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9511
Old 01-20-2015, 12:42 PM

2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by .trunzx
I believe the e55 needs 85w90 as it does not have a limited slip diff. http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9511

Thank you!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
you can remove the whole air box and y pipe assembly as one piece

Part number for colder plugs NGK-LFR7AIX
Old 01-20-2015, 05:24 PM

2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by shardul
you can remove the whole air box and y pipe assembly as one piece

Part number for colder plugs NGK-LFR7AIX
Thank you that is most helpful!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
wrong thread
Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
re that car above being in Mass; one of my pretty hard rules when buying used cars: DC area is about far north as I search. One you start getting into Philly, NYC, etc and further up? I personally have rust concerns. Same for mid west cars.
All of my used cars have been from NC, Georgia, Virginia, a garage kept CLK55 convertible (that barely ever saw rain much less snow) from Baltimore that I still have. And yes, I order the Carfax and check history of where its been owned for the life of the car.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
It’s pretty hard to find better gear oil than what the dealer sells specifically for your car.l