Sponsored by:

Key fob...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Key fob...

Looking to upgrade my faded and dated looking key...

Something more AMG'issh would be great. What options work?

What do you guys have in your pockets?
Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Does your car have keyless go? If it does not, then you can get the newer and cheaper chrome key. To the best of my knowledge , if you have keyless go you are stuck with the plain black plastic key.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 AM

W203 C320 Wagon
My CPO E55 came with the new shiny and original black keys from the dealer. Not sure what's involved to program them.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM

2005 E55 AMG
No keyless go here.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:55 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Just got off the phone with the local Stealership. First the guy tells me that its not possible, but he's going to check. Comes back on the phone says they actually can do it but its 500 dollars after tax. This cannot be right...
Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
I think if you just buy a replacement key for your non-keyless-go car the newer chrome key is the automatic replacement part. I could be wrong, but I didnt ask for anything special when I got a new key for my E55 and I got the chrome one.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2005 E55 AMG (Sold)
I have keyless go and I have both the original all black key & newer key with the chrome, so yes you can get the newer key to work

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by veryswag
I have keyless go and I have both the original all black key & newer key with the chrome, so yes you can get the newer key to work
me too
Old 02-04-2015, 01:48 PM

e55 amg
Should be only about 300 bucks. Check with park place mercedes in Dallas.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
Originally Posted by saleen01
me too
Me three.

Charging $500 is their way of encouraging you to go to another dealership. I believe all keys have to be ordered from one location, I think it's in Texas. There's a hard cost to all dealerships for a key, then they add their profit onto what they charge the customer. In this case, this dealership is probably more than doubling the cost. You should name this dealership. Try different dealerships, prices will vary.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
There is an AMG new cover/piece, will it fit the chrome key ?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Im up in Canada. Wish we did service like the my americans neighbours.

I saw the AMG cover you speak of. Clicks in place with the updated chrome key, the one Im actually looking to get for a reasonable price. I believe you ask the dealership for the cover.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 PM

05 E55, 05 Cayenne TT, 06 Carrera S X51
i also have a chrome key with keyless go.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 2003
Originally Posted by A.M.
Im up in Canada. Wish we did service like the my americans neighbours.

I saw the AMG cover you speak of. Clicks in place with the updated chrome key, the one Im actually looking to get for a reasonable price. I believe you ask the dealership for the cover.
I see. Ill check with the dealership, want to get that new amg key/cover :p
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
They also sell covers on eBay and aliexpress. If the shape is the same, you could just try the new cover. Way cheaper than a new key.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
Originally Posted by veryswag

same
Old 02-05-2015, 02:49 AM

GLS, JKU
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
They also sell covers on eBay and aliexpress. If the shape is the same, you could just try the new cover. Way cheaper than a new key.

Ordered about 7 they look about perfect - taking the guts from the old. They just don't fit into the ignition without using a ton of force - and even more force to turn. I think they could be filed down a tad to fit - but why bother.

Another nice feature of them is it requires about a sneeze for the key part to pull out of the FOB - so basically your fob is in risk of falling off you keychain, or vice versa you lose your keys. But yes they look perfect, you wonder why thy just could not spend a few minutes more to get it right...
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by zarevron
Ordered about 7 they look about perfect - taking the guts from the old. They just don't fit into the ignition without using a ton of force - and even more force to turn. I think they could be filed down a tad to fit - but why bother.

Another nice feature of them is it requires about a sneeze for the key part to pull out of the FOB - so basically your fob is in risk of falling off you keychain, or vice versa you lose your keys. But yes they look perfect, you wonder why thy just could not spend a few minutes more to get it right...
any pics of this amg fob?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM

GLS, JKU
Originally Posted by saleen01
any pics of this amg fob?

Basically this - but with the Star Logo (they don't have it on in the adverts for obvious reasons)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-Button-Remote-Key-Case-with-Logo-for-Mercedes-Benz-W211-Smart-Cover-Fob-/191031460920?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7a5cc438&vxp=mtr
Old 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Does your car have keyless go? If it does not, then you can get the newer and cheaper chrome key. To the best of my knowledge , if you have keyless go you are stuck with the plain black plastic key.
This is not true. I have keyless Go and just got two new keys. Both are the new chrome style.

Here are the facts:

Shop around. This is the best advice I can give you. You will call 3 dealerships all will give you different prices. Also, make sure when you get the quote that they are including the price of a cut key into it. Here are the rules when you get a new key:

1. Keys can only be programmed once. DO NOT buy an eBay key. They are used and will never work on your car. Not sure why people are selling used worthless keys other than a scam.
2. Keys MUST be ordered through the dealer. You must show proof of ownership. You must me there in person.
3. Cut keys must be ordered with the new key. You cannot order just a FOB. Most likely the cut key will be a different style anyway.
4. All keys for MB are programmed and cut in the U.S. out of a facility in Texas. And the dealer is the only one that can place and order.
5. Dealers all set their own prices and some will want to keep your car. Bottom like is there is no programming. The key comes ready to go.

Its not cheap. I got my keys at cost because the dealer cut me some slack. The guy was being nice. That being said, it still cost me ~$750 for two new shiny chrome keys... at cost.

You are better off looking on eBay for a new fob case. Take a part your key and place the new internals in it. You will have a new key (but still the old style). You cannot place the old style key in a new style fob. So only find one that matches your style exactly. I also *really* don't recommend this. You have to open the key and place something inside to pull the board out. Many use a paper clip with a bend at the end. While that paperclip is inside and you are poking around to pull the board out, it can scrape and damage the components on the transmitter board since you cannot see anything while you are doing this. Its a costly mistake to make your key look new again.

Last edited by agregory23; 02-05-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by agregory23
This is not true. I have keyless Go and just got two new keys. Both are the new chrome style.

Here are the facts:

Shop around. This is the best advice I can give you. You will call 3 dealerships all will give you different prices. Also, make sure when you get the quote that they are including the price of a cut key into it. Here are the rules when you get a new key:

1. Keys can only be programmed once. DO NOT buy an eBay key. They are used and will never work on your car. Not sure why people are selling used worthless keys other than a scam.
2. Keys MUST be ordered through the dealer. You must show proof of ownership. You must me there in person.
3. Cut keys must be ordered with the new key. You cannot order just a FOB. Most likely the cut key will be a different style anyway.
4. All keys for MB are programmed and cut in the U.S. out of a facility in Texas. And the dealer is the only one that can place and order.
5. Dealers all set their own prices and some will want to keep your car. Bottom like is there is no programming. The key comes ready to go.

Its not cheap. I got my keys at cost because the dealer cut me some slack. The guy was being nice. That being said, it still cost me ~$750 for two new shiny chrome keys... at cost.

You are better off looking on eBay for a new fob case. Take a part your key and place the new internals in it. You will have a new key (but still the old style). You cannot place the old style key in a new style fob. So only find one that matches your style exactly. I also *really* don't recommend this. You have to open the key and place something inside to pull the board out. Many use a paper clip with a bend at the end. While that paperclip is inside and you are poking around to pull the board out, it can scrape and damage the components on the transmitter board since you cannot see anything while you are doing this. Its a costly mistake to make your key look new again.

I found all this out by doing exactly that, calling three different dealerships.

MB has updated their keys 2-3 times since 2005, if you wish to have another key or a spare key they will automatically give you the newer one.

The cost in CDN ranged between 320 and 500 dollars depending on the dealership. And the "snap in" Affalterbach badge can also be purchased with them.

Thanks to Agregory23 and Kaho for clearing all that up!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
I thought the AMG key fob cover only works with the "newer" chrome key fobs (the one with the triangle panic button):

It will not work with the one with the circle panic button:
Old 02-05-2015, 06:18 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by mightar
I thought the AMG key fob cover only works with the "newer" chrome key fobs (the one with the triangle panic button):
[IMG]https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbworld.org-vbulletin/750x469/80-2011_mercedes_benz_gl350_bluetec_key_fob_a0e273236 3473d9c0bd000eac26a19beb173d579.jpg[IMG]

It will not work with the one with the circle panic button:
[IMG]https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbworld.org-vbulletin/1600x899/80-330dbg7_688ec271b674a9930bac5a775376d91f3b94d394.j pg[IMG]
MAYBE, if you cut the PCB board to fit. Worth it?
Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Yes exactly, the snap in AMG logo only works if you replace your key.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by agregory23

Here are the facts:

What year is your E55? I tried to get a chrome key for Keyless-GO but they said that it wouldn't work since my 2004 was not compatible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key fob...