Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Symptoms....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55k
Cold Weather Symptoms....

As everyone knows, it has been painfully cold here in the northeast!! The last three mornings my car has been sitting VERY low to the tires and ground after a cold night. When I start the car a warning comes on the display and states "WARNING: THE CAR IS TOO LOW TO DRIVE". Within 10 seconds the warning goes out and the car adjusts to proper height. Why is this? Also, the brakes have been rather squeaky as well as the pano roof.

dressed in layers,

David
Old 01-16-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect the airmatic suspension automatically corrects for the lower height (caused by the cold's reduction in tire pressure?).
I lived in Minnesota several winters and during very cold snaps I wrote off the odd squeaks and other issues to extreme conditions which likely aren't accounted for during developmental field testing.
Major functional issues such as basic engine performance, braking etc shouldn't be affected in any significant way. Very cold conditions are part of testing. But little things like interior fittings and joints and such are probably not tested to the point that creaks and rattles are accounted for and worked out during development. So I just ignored those things and assumed that when the temps got back above zero they'd disappear. And they always seemed to.
I don't miss those days. Fortunately they're rare in Boston and most of coastal New England.