W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Approaching 150k....what's some preventative maintenance I should do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Approaching 150k....what's some preventative maintenance I should do?

I'm at about 145k and I want to compile a list of things I can do on the vehicle before they fail. i bought the car two years ago with 92.5k from the original owner

I have replace the Stock S/C Bearing, plugs, brakes, both airmatic shocks in the front (will do rears soon, not leaking...yet), coolant flush and do oil changes as needed...

I am going to flush S/C oil with Mobil jet oil, and change crank Shaft position sensor, replace serpentine belt, replace/upgrade Interpol pump...

What else is normal? Any hoses I should be aware? I'm currently waiting arrival of oil cooler lines and upper radiator hose...
Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Lower ball joints?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
pistons?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:15 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
Lower ball joints?

Not a bad idea, mine are still fine, but should do it soon...

I'm thinking more along the lines that could possibly leave me stranded...

How are the water pumps on this thing? Any other major known issues? I think my trans needs rebuilt being as it slips going from second to third, I'm going to try to put a new tcm in it before I claim it needing to be rebuilt. I literally woke up one more and the trans starting slipping...

Last edited by zhmorrow13; 03-05-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Do a tranny fluid drain and fill asap.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
And replace the tranny filter and pan gasket with oem stuff.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
If your car has almost 150k and the original ball joints, I highly doubt they're still in good condition. I agree with tranny flush and replace the pan/filter assembly. Ball joints won't leave you stranded, but the car will drive and ride much better with freshened bushings.

Heater valve won't leave you stranded but it will leave you without heat and depending on where you live that could suck pretty good. It's an easy enough part to replace and there's a walk-through somewhere here on the forum. Crank position sensor fails easily, and that will leave you stranded, but it's also very cheap and easy to replace.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
water pump and all hoses
Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
50k mileage in 2 years! Good job!

Someone really drives his E55. I remember a time when I drove a large amount of mileage per annum.

Pull the Vehicle Master Inquiry at the dealer if you don't have the original owner's service records. Just for your records.

Things that will leave you stranded...
1. Airmatic suspension, you got that...
2. Crank Position Sensor
3. Intercooler Pump (not likely to leave you stranded but will make the car drive funny, I'm not speaking from experience).
4. I highly recommend that people take good care of their transmissions. The transmission works as hard as the engine does and receives less than 1/10th the oil changes and care and attention. Also check in the vehicle's history if the transmission oil was replaced at the prescribed 40k mileage service.
5. A water pump replacement may be a good idea.
6. Voltage regulators and alternators seem to wear out on this car. Have a qualified Mercedes-Benz specific mechanic with electrical system experience look over it thoroughly.
7. Batteries! And remember the car has two. If the Auxiliary brake battery in the front has never been replaced, think about putting that on your to do list. The rear has likely been replaced already.
8. As others have mentioned, suspension bushings/bearings/joints can be replaced.
9. Check your spare tire and all equipment related to it (pump, jack, etc.) do a dry run if you have time.
10. Steering wheel lock. When you stick in your key, does the steering wheel lock groan? This will immobilize the car.
11. Batteries to the keys. Won't leave you stranded, but may make it difficult to get into the car.
12. Coolant system parts and related hoses.
13. Brake calipers may need to be rebuilt eventually.
14. I would change the oil on the rear differential. I don't think people do this, but I'd do it.

Generally most things won't leave you stranded except for the AIRMATIC suspension can leave you completely utterly stranded.

I really like how you're racking on the mileage! I wished I had more places to go and more people to see! But that seems to happen via airplane for me...
Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by patrick_y
50k mileage in 2 years! Good job!

Someone really drives his E55. I remember a time when I drove a large amount of mileage per annum.

Pull the Vehicle Master Inquiry at the dealer if you don't have the original owner's service records. Just for your records.

Things that will leave you stranded...
1. Airmatic suspension, you got that...
2. Crank Position Sensor
3. Intercooler Pump (not likely to leave you stranded but will make the car drive funny, I'm not speaking from experience).
4. I highly recommend that people take good care of their transmissions. The transmission works as hard as the engine does and receives less than 1/10th the oil changes and care and attention. Also check in the vehicle's history if the transmission oil was replaced at the prescribed 40k mileage service.
5. A water pump replacement may be a good idea.
6. Voltage regulators and alternators seem to wear out on this car. Have a qualified Mercedes-Benz specific mechanic with electrical system experience look over it thoroughly.
7. Batteries! And remember the car has two. If the Auxiliary brake battery in the front has never been replaced, think about putting that on your to do list. The rear has likely been replaced already.
8. As others have mentioned, suspension bushings/bearings/joints can be replaced.
9. Check your spare tire and all equipment related to it (pump, jack, etc.) do a dry run if you have time.
10. Steering wheel lock. When you stick in your key, does the steering wheel lock groan? This will immobilize the car.
11. Batteries to the keys. Won't leave you stranded, but may make it difficult to get into the car.
12. Coolant system parts and related hoses.
13. Brake calipers may need to be rebuilt eventually.
14. I would change the oil on the rear differential. I don't think people do this, but I'd do it.

Generally most things won't leave you stranded except for the AIRMATIC suspension can leave you completely utterly stranded.

I really like how you're racking on the mileage! I wished I had more places to go and more people to see! But that seems to happen via airplane for me...
All great recommendations! I'm current waiting shipment on these oil cooler hoses, I plan on installed than on Sunday/Monday (my current/original hose tore and needed to be replaced). After that I plan on ordering the round plug that goes into the trans near the passenger side of the vehicle (TCM, I believe) and do a trans filter/fluid changed (just had one done at about 100k tho, on 6/6/13) and the pan as well... I just find it really hard to believe my transmission would need a complete rebuild because one morning I wake up and it starts slipping into 3rd (when it shifts into 3rd, under any amount of strain, it will give an effect as-if it goes into neutral until it hit 3k RPM then it'll catch 3rd. I can avoid this by manually shifting into third, and letting go of the accelerator simultaneously)

I have done plugs, but I did not replace coil packs/wires. All seems to be working fine, but I'm sure coil packs and wires should be replaced anyway assuming they're original.

I have replaced a few coolant related hoses, as needed, intending on doing more before they fail....

Steering wheel lock seems to be functioning as it should....

I haven't looked yet, but is a water pump DIY'able? I consider myself pretty handy and I have the resources to get things done if something happens to be beyond my knowledge/ability...

I need to update my profile on here, but yes I drive a lot, I drive many different cars, but I would say collectively I drive about 100k a year. Given my title. I bought my Benz in Missouri and drove it Cleveland OH and maybe put 15k miles on it the first 3 month, then I drove it to Miami and then to Dallas for a few months, then I finely settled in Nashville where I am currently. And i used to frequently drive it from Nashville to Cleveland and Chicago many many times (~500 miles)... Definitely one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned...

I fully intend on taking it on many more road trips with it, which is why i am trying to be proactive with maintenance...

Keep 'em coming guys, thanks in advance!

Edit: Where can I find a "Vehicle Master inquiry"? Also, is finding a duplicate of the original window sticker a possibility?

Last edited by zhmorrow13; 03-06-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by zhmorrow13
All great recommendations! I'm current waiting shipment on these oil cooler hoses, I plan on installed than on Sunday/Monday (my current/original hose tore and needed to be replaced). After that I plan on ordering the round plug that goes into the trans near the passenger side of the vehicle (TCM, I believe) and do a trans filter/fluid changed (just had one done at about 100k tho, on 6/6/13) and the pan as well... I just find it really hard to believe my transmission would need a complete rebuild because one morning I wake up and it starts slipping into 3rd (when it shifts into 3rd, under any amount of strain, it will give an effect as-if it goes into neutral until it hit 3k RPM then it'll catch 3rd. I can avoid this by manually shifting into third, and letting go of the accelerator simultaneously)

I have done plugs, but I did not replace coil packs/wires. All seems to be working fine, but I'm sure coil packs and wires should be replaced anyway assuming they're original.

I have replaced a few coolant related hoses, as needed, intending on doing more before they fail....

Steering wheel lock seems to be functioning as it should....

I haven't looked yet, but is a water pump DIY'able? I consider myself pretty handy and I have the resources to get things done if something happens to be beyond my knowledge/ability...

I need to update my profile on here, but yes I drive a lot, I drive many different cars, but I would say collectively I drive about 100k a year. Given my title. I bought my Benz in Missouri and drove it Cleveland OH and maybe put 15k miles on it the first 3 month, then I drove it to Miami and then to Dallas for a few months, then I finely settled in Nashville where I am currently. And i used to frequently drive it from Nashville to Cleveland and Chicago many many times (~500 miles)... Definitely one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned...

I fully intend on taking it on many more road trips with it, which is why i am trying to be proactive with maintenance...

Keep 'em coming guys, thanks in advance!

Edit: Where can I find a "Vehicle Master inquiry"? Also, is finding a duplicate of the original window sticker a possibility?
I'd be very concerned about the transmission in the car. With such slipping, there is even a possibility the transmission may need to be rebuilt. Despite your doubts that it may need a rebuild.

Before you invest more time and parts into other parts of the car, I'd give the transmission a very thorough going over. I'd go to the dealer or a Mercedes-Benz specific transmission shop if you live near one (I wouldn't go to just any transmission shop) and have the transmission carefully inspected. Some dealers may not have the expertise and may just ask you to replace parts of the transmission.

If your car has not gone through the 40k mile transmission service, which is possible if someone forgot to do this, then you are more likely to have a problem down the road.

The Vehicle Master Inquiry (full service history compiled from all Mercedes-Benz USA dealers) and a list of the options and total price of the car (but not the full Munroney Label window sticker) is possible to be obtained if you have a good relationship with your Mercedes-Benz dealer.

But make the transmission a priority 1 and let's find out what's going on. A fluid change with a filter change is good and is unlikely to hurt anything. It's also possible your solenoids are going bad. Some people have said that the transmission separator plate goes bad. Don't know if that would be a contributor to your problems, but something to look at.

Have you considered renting cars? If you're driving 1000 round trip miles and you're only going to be visiting Cleveland for 3 days, I'd get a rental car. If you're going to be visiting Cleveland for more than a week, from Nashville, you should consider driving. The main thing is that if you can rent a car and put a high amount of mileage on it for just a couple hundred dollars, go for the rental. Keep in mind, rental cars have policy limitations on how much you can drive in-state and out of state.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
what year is your E55? If it is an 03 & the transmission just randomly started slipping it is probably because the radiator went bad & dumped a bunch of coolant in the transmission. Happened to my E55 & it required a radiator & tranny replacement. It is a pretty common problem on the 03 cars as one of the brand of radiators put in that year had problems, but the other was fine. There are several threads about this problem.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:59 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Bring back an old thread

List of everything I've bought

I have bought all Moog control arms w/ lower ball joins, outer tie rods, upper ball joints. Going to install this weekend.

Air filters and cabin filter.
Mobile 1 Synthetic jet oil for S/C flush (any good ideas what I can use to pump old fluid out? What is the size of the opening on the s/c?).
New valve cover gaskets
Crankshaft position sensor
Serpentine belt
S/c belt
Akebono pads

I plan on buying a new water pump, and Bosch 010 IC pump.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by zhmorrow13
Bring back an old thread

List of everything I've bought

I have bought all Moog control arms w/ lower ball joins, outer tie rods, upper ball joints. Going to install this weekend.

Air filters and cabin filter.
Mobile 1 Synthetic jet oil for S/C flush (any good ideas what I can use to pump old fluid out? What is the size of the opening on the s/c?).
New valve cover gaskets
Crankshaft position sensor
Serpentine belt
S/c belt
Akebono pads

I plan on buying a new water pump, and Bosch 010 IC pump.

Any other ideas?

Moog is that the brand on ebay? I think they sell complete front suspension kits. Hows the quality?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:07 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Hey guys, I’m back!

does anybody have any input when it comes to ball joint presses? I’ve found a couple on amazon, not sure which to purchase... they all seem to be the same, but my concern is the little “cup” that meets the actual ball joint...I’m not sure if Mb uses some ridiculous size or if I can get away with using a generic one....

also, any leads for a diagram of hoses in the engine bay with part numbers would be greatly appreciated...

ill be be getting my E55 out of storage in August and I have access to a lift in Nashville I’d like to take advantage of before trailering it down to west palm...looking forward to getting back into the community
Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I bought one on Amazon and it worked perfectly. The w211 ball joints are pretty big and the press sets on Amazon are specific to our cars. The w211 search for ball joint press on Amazon will pull up several that are very similar and will work for you. The set I bought isn't available any longer, otherwise I would give you that SKU. This URL has good prices and plenty of parts diagrams: https://www.oediscountparts.com/part...?siteid=215242 good luck.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Welcome back!
Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
If it were me, i prefer not to needlessly waste money. If my crank sensor is working fine, im not replacing it. However, I do have a used spare from ebay in my trunk at all times. If I end up never needing it, I'll sell it later.
If you have no confirmation that the tranny fluid was ever previously changed, and assuming your transmission fluid is working fine, you are taking a risk in "flushing" (or even changing it out) at this late date. There is a risk that if the old fluid has "x" amount of dirt in it, that dirt is possibly keeping the plates from slipping. Introducing new, fresh fluid with fresh detergent has potential of dislodging gunk and clogging the tiny passageways where fluid flows. NOt saying to dont do it, just letting you know there is a risk involved. (and nothing worse than the feeling of having touched something that didnt need touching, and it causing thousands of dollars on a needless repair).

I'd thorougly inspect all bushings/ball joints, but if they pass my inspection (no clunking/no excess play) I'd leave them be.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I would check all of the idler pulleys along with the belt tensioner. And the hoses from the radiator to the water pump.
And if it hasn't been mentioned yet, change the rear diff fluid.