Sponsored by:

New Member/Owner - 2007 E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
New Member/Owner - 2007 E63 AMG

After much research, pondering, and changes of heart and mind, I finally settled on and purchased a one owner 2007 E63 AMG in Teallite Blue with 58,000 miles. This will be my daily driver. The other cars I considered were the 2003 Audi RS6, 2006-07 BMW M5, 2007-08 Audi S6, and, of course, 2003-2006 E55. All of the vehicles on my list have their own unique and specific trouble areas, pros and cons. I appreciate there are brand and intra-brand loyalists that would argue one of the others on the list (and some that were not on the list) are better options. But, right, wrong, or otherwise, the deed has been done and my E63 will be delivered some time next week. Yes, I purchased this car sight unseen. I can hear the criticisms about that decision already. For what it is worth, the car was represented as being in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition with new rotors, pads and tires at all four corners. I had all of this confirmed by independent inspection. I'm not one to disclose purchase price, but I will say after watching the market closely for some time now, this is definitely the best deal I've seen on an E63 under 75k miles.

After countless hours of research on this and other forums about each of the candidates, it seems to me that the common costly issues for the E63/M156 platform can be grouped in to two categories. (1) Top end motor issues (cam, cam adjuster, tappets, lifters, head bolts); and (2) Suspension. I've read the countless posts and complaints of heart burn from those that paid gobs of money purchasing an E63 only to be faced with frequent and expensive trips to the dealer. I sympathize with those individuals and understand their complaints. But, as a buyer of a car in this category of vehicle (high performance sedan 8-12 years old) I think the E63 is one of the better choices for me. This won't apply to everyone, of course. I'm fortunate to have a step-father that has been a mechanic for probably 40 years and who owned and operated a salvage yard for 20 years. Growing up in that environment, I have some experience turning wrenches. He still maintains a shop equipped with a car lift and countless tools. I'm a pretty good researcher also, therefore, I believe that he and I can reasonably tackle most automotive issues. So, why the E63 for me and not one of the others? The common expense items can be resolved without a complete motor pull or tear down and the suspension issues are even less intimidating/worrisome to me than drive train problems. The same can not be said for the other cars I was considering (I'm excluding the E55 from that comment - I placed the E63 and E55 together at the top of my list. But, I never found an E55 with low miles, in a color I liked, that was what I considered a "good" price. I also do not plan on much modding). Call me a hopeless optimist, but I think the E63 crowd should be thankful that the common issues aren't more involved mechanically. The bottom end issues appear rare, the transmission seems solid, and I haven't read much about rear end problems. Obviously my research focus was on the more common issues, so please fill me in if there are frequent high cost expense items I've missed (other than gas, oil changes, brakes and tires).

As for warranty, this car has none. This brings me to my first quandary of ownership. I'm able to handle the cost of maintenance and repairs, but like everyone else, I'd like to address those as economically as possible. Even catastrophic engine failure can be addressed if one is resourceful and has access to the salvage market (remember, there were supposedly 30,000 members of the US class action which means there are some wrecked Mercs out there with M156s under the hood). I don't think I want to fork over the cash for a bumper to bumper warranty. However, I may have interest in and have obtained a quote of $3000 for a power train warranty for 2yr/36k miles (which is about how long I keep a vehicle). This is my first quote and I will shop it around some more. But (hear me out) I'm considering taking that $3,000 and sourcing all of the problematic wear parts for the top end issues and prophylactically replacing them. Cams, tappets, cam adjuster, head bolts, etc. With some shopping around, I think I can get the parts for around the same cost as the warranty. My step-father and I would do the work so no exorbitant shop rates. With the warranty route, there is at least a possibility that I never run into the need for repairs. If that were to occur (some of you are probably laughing at this "outlandish" hypothetical), at the end of the warranty, I'd have no return on investment and be faced with having an E63 that still hasn't had these issues addressed. Not good for resale, not good for peace of mind with a daily driver (for me or the next owner). Any thoughts from the constituency on these options?

I'm not sure why I was compelled to type all of this. I suppose I'm excited about the new purchase and wanted to let readers know that I've gone in to this purchase eyes wide open. I know and agree the E63 and its arguable equivalents are not good choices for everyone that can afford the ever depreciating price. I'm no stranger to driving what some see as money pits. I've had a 2002 Subaru WRX, 2001.5 Audi S4, 2005 Porsche Cayenne S (yes I suffered the coolant pipe failure - talk about poor a engineering choice), 2009 Jaguar XF-S, 2009 Audi Q7 4.2. Frankly, the vehicle that caused me the most expense and headache was a 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade.

So, for those still reading, I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum. I'll post picks when the car arrives. Until then, I'll try my best to patiently wait as the days until delivery ever so slowly pass.......

Last edited by Dryfly; 03-18-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 PM

07 e63 amg
Welcome...and post pictures of the e63 in blue...never seen one in that color...😁
Old 03-19-2015, 12:44 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Hamrdwn
Welcome...and post pictures of the e63 in blue...never seen one in that color...😁
Yes sir. I will certainly post pics once I get her home. As best I can tell Teallite Blue is essentially the same as the Platinum Blue Metallic. Most of the information I've read suggests Teallite was not a U.S. color option. But a run of my VIN states the car was built for the U.S. That same VIN information says it is Teallite. Makes little sense to me, but I suppose it is what it is.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:01 AM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Congrats!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Seems like you did your research thoroughly before you bought the car and know what to expect.

Congrats on the informed purchase!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 PM

2007 E63
My car was picked up yesterday by the transport company and is scheduled for delivery sometime on or before the 27th. I've also been in contact with an SA at the local dealership to try and research more about the service history of this car. I learned that a couple of years ago the valve train on the right side had a cam adjuster and tappets replaced due to owner complaints of them being noisy. There may have been some additional work at that time that we are still trying to sort out because it appears a valve may have been replaced. Unfortunately, the dealer in California that did the work is refusing to release the service records and my SA isn't convinced he has been able to see everything from his end. I'm crossing my fingers that when we pull the right valve cover we'll find the newer style head bolts. It's going to be a long week waiting for it to arrive!

Last edited by Dryfly; 03-20-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Originally Posted by Dryfly
My car was picked up yesterday by the transport company and is scheduled for delivery sometime on or before the 27th. I've also been in contact with an SA at the local dealership to try and research more about the service history of this car. I learned that a couple of years ago the valve train on the right side had the cam tensioner and tappets replaced due to owner complaints of them being noisy. There may have been some additional work at that time that we are still trying to sort out because it appears a valve may have been replaced. Unfortunately, the dealer in California that did the work is refusing to release the service records and my SA isn't convinced he has been able to see everything from his end. I'm crossing my fingers that when we pull the right valve cover we'll find the newer style head bolts. It's going to be a long week waiting for it to arrive!
Congrats on your purchase. Ask for a hardcopy of the VMI (vehicle maintenance inquiry) - that should have all documentation on what was done to the vehicle during warranty (and as I understand it, afterwards as well if done at a Mercedes dealership). Would be a bonus if you did indeed get the newer style head bolts, but as stated before on this board, it's tough to gauge how pervasive the head bolt problem really is on M156s. After about a year of ownership and reading up on posts during that time, I'm of the notion that the issue is indeed rare. Call me an optimist.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Congratulations on the purchase. They are great cars and you will absolutely love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. The head bolt issue - don't worry about it. Its rare and only needs to be done IF you have an issue with it. My local MB dealer said they have only had 1 car and it was a ML63 that had it done. At least that is my opinion at this point. I am on my 2nd E63, both were or are perfect at 80k.

2. Be Prepaired for the Conductor Plate to need replacing on the Tranny if it hasn't been done. Both of my cars it was done at about 65k miles. It gives a warning though. The 722.9's are great trannies, but they always need the updated conductor plate. Its about $950 at the dealer and typically rears its ugly head after the first transmission fluid flush. (hint: WIS states a full tranny flush uses 9.5L of fluid. Most dealers only do the pan at 5.5 and not do the Tourque Convertor like they are supposed too, make sure that is part of the process)

3. Other than that I wouldn't worry about anything, especially since you will only keep it from about 58k miles to 100k. You should be fine. After 80k things like ball joints, bushings, and other wear items start going at some point. Should be easy fixes for you. I do not have a warranty either, and not worried.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 AM

2004 MB E55 AMG
I enjoyed reading your story as I purchased my e55 AMG over 5 years ago sight unseen. It has been a fantastic ride and and one of the best cars I have ever owned. I can't decide what to get next and also had many cars on my list that you mentioned on yours. I have performed reg maint and it has treated me awesome. I think I will keep driving it due to the huge smile factor, nothing gives us the feeling these AMG's provide. From the luxury to the push back in the seats feeling when the tourqe monster opens up, to the great stopping power. These cars (e55/63) have it all, unless you drive and own them it is difficult to convey. What an incredible machine! Go AMG!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:51 AM

2007 E63
Thanks for the warm welcome, gang. I appreciate the suggestions and information. Although, I must confess hearing how great these cars are is making the wait that much more difficult! To be frank, I've never driven one. The same was true of my former WRX, Cayenne and Jag. The WRX and Jag were purchased sight unseen and out of state. The Cayenne I had the opportunity to see but not drive. I successfully researched each of those and came away thrilled with the decision. I have no doubts the E63 will more than satisfy.

I remain on the fence about the head bolt issue. I expect my curiosity will win over and I'll probably pull the valve covers just to take a look around. I tend to be of the ilk that is comfortable with changing the head bolts one out one in without pulling the head. So, if I decide to do it myself, the primary cost will be a few hundred for the bolts and a couple hundred for the specialty tools. That may be a small price to pay for a little extra "insurance" and peace of mind. I've certainly spent more on less over the years.

I'm attaching a teaser pic from when the car was listed online. I'll post my own pics when it arrives also.
Attached Thumbnails New Member/Owner - 2007 E63 AMG-p7dlfkqz1ot9jfveftrrwcf1esodctneqpoyx2_1bgy.jpeg  
Old 03-21-2015, 12:55 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by mightar
Call me an optimist.
mightar - You're an optimist! I dig the wagons!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:34 AM

2006 E55
Thanks for the warm welcome, gang. I appreciate the suggestions and information. Although, I must confess hearing how great these cars are is making the wait that much more difficult! To be frank, I've never driven one. The same was true of my former WRX, Cayenne and Jag. The WRX and Jag were purchased sight unseen and out of state. The Cayenne I had the opportunity to see but not drive. I successfully researched each of those and came away thrilled with the decision. I have no doubts the E63 will more than satisfy.

I remain on the fence about the head bolt issue. I expect my curiosity will win over and I'll probably pull the valve covers just to take a look around. I tend to be of the ilk that is comfortable with changing the head bolts one out one in without pulling the head. So, if I decide to do it myself, the primary cost will be a few hundred for the bolts and a couple hundred for the specialty tools. That may be a small price to pay for a little extra "insurance" and peace of mind. I've certainly spent more on less over the years.

I'm attaching a teaser pic from when the car was listed online. I'll post my own pics when it arrives also.
I think that color was made for the E55 too correct? I seen a few of those around my area.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:15 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by 06E55BEAST
I think that color was made for the E55 too correct? I seen a few of those around my area.
Yes, I know Platinum Blue Metallic was a color option for the E55. I came very close to buying one. I presume Teallite would have been an option for non-US markets. I'd still like to know how this one ended up with the Teallite color designation. Another interesting thing is that this car was sent to the U.S. in the first half of 2007 but wasn't offered for sale by the dealer until 2009 and at that time it only had a bit over 1,000 miles.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
mightar - You're an optimist! I dig the wagons!
Thanks sir - make sure you post pics of your new ride once you get it. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision. I've test driven the E60 M5 and C5 RS6 and I consider the W211 E63 superior from a daily driver standpoint.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:32 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by mightar
Thanks sir - make sure you post pics of your new ride once you get it. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision. I've test driven the E60 M5 and C5 RS6 and I consider the W211 E63 superior from a daily driver standpoint.
I have not been able to drive the RS6, but I certainly agree the M5 isn't a good daily driver for many, including me. Some say you learn to drive it more comfortably over time. I became convinced I would have a love/hate relationship with the SMG. I did find a Sepang Bronze M5 that I had a very hard time turning down. Beautiful machine.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 PM

2007 E63
I received some fabulous news today. The transport driver called to let me know he is on schedule to deliver my car first thing Monday morning! When I arranged transport the delivery date was anticipated to be Thursday or Friday. Should be a nice way to start the week.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E63 - 03 Sonic Blue Lightning - 09 F150 4x4 Beater
Congrats on joining the club. I have been very happy with mine so far. I wouldn't give the head bolt issue a second thought. After speaking with some fellow members and speaking with not only a local dealer but with my own mechanic, the issue is very few and far between. There are some odd issues that can pop up here and there but all in I would say you will be pleased with how it runs.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:04 PM

2007 E63
More good news today. Assuming things go as the transport driver plans, there is a good chance my car will be delivered tonight! I'm ready to drive this beast!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM

2007 E63
Got it! My E63 AMG was delivered last night. I didn't spring for a closed trailer, so it's in need of a good hand washing. I used mbworld.org supporter Ship Your Car Now to broker transportation. Jonathan was my contact person. He was very helpful and I highly recommend him. Even after the initial truck assignment was made, Jonathan took it upon himself to continue searching for other trucks that would be able to deliver my car sooner. The same is true after the second assignment. Ultimately, Jonathan was able to secure a truck that delivered 1 full week earlier than the initial estimated date. Ship Your Car Now was contacted last Tuesday. 2,000 miles and only 5 days later my car was delivered. I know there is at least 1 negative review of this company on this forum. However, my experience was excellent.

Victor from ADG Transportation was the driver. No doubt he deserves two thumbs up also. Victor was professional, courteous, prompt and had first rate communication. He made sure my car was placed on the top row to avoid oil/fluids from the above cars from dripping on it. There is also less risk of something being kicked up from the road and hitting the top row vehicles. His pre-load inspection was thorough with detailed pictures which he has now forwarded to me (these may come in handy for reasons below). If the other drivers with ADG are anything like Victor, I can't recommend them enough.

I've only driven it about 45 miles consisting mostly of highway travel. My first impressions are as follows:
1. The ride is comfortable and quiet. Expansion joints are felt and heard, but muted and unobtrusive.
2. Seats are supportive and comfortable. I do find that my right knee rubs the the side of the center console. In my opinion, there should be a center arm rest. That is my biggest interior complaint at this point. But otherwise, the interior has nice touch surfaces, fit and finish are top notch, audio is adequate for a stock system, and vision from the cockpit is great.
3. The exhaust note, while intoxicating, is quieter than I expected. Frankly, I'd like to hear it a bit more under aggressive acceleration.
4. I have not had the chance to really open it up, but the 6.2 liter V8 is good for many smiles already, and I'm sure many more to come. Acceleration off the line is impressive but the acceleration at speed is even more so. Its hard to justify wanting more from the power plant. In a perfect world, I'd add a bit more torque and I can see why the E55 crowd crows about its torque monster supercharged V8. I'm sure I'll have more to say after more windshield time.
5. For an automatic transmission, I suppose this one is adequate. I think this is one area that the auto industry continues to improve on and cars of this era tend to show their age a bit with regard to the transmission. In my opinion, my Jag XF Supercharged (and my good friend's XFR) had a significantly better tranny. I do, however, like having seven cogs and once I learn the sweet spot for the motor's power delivery, my opinion of the transmission will likely change.
6. I love the color in person. I am one that has become tired of black, gray and silver. Don't get me wrong, those are often beautiful colors. But I prefer my vehicles to be tastefully unique. If hand picking an available color for this particular body style, it would be white. Finding one in white at my target price with low miles simply didn't happen. The Teallite Blue is different enough to satisfy me and is very classy in my eye. Only because I want to personalize it, I'm picturing it with a gunmetal or anthracite Forgestar F14 style wheels. The AMG wheel is definitely one of the most attractive factory wheels offered on any brand. Even though it is not a square set, I'll likely dedicate the AMG wheels to winter use fitted with snow tires. I've already purchased a flat badge which should arrive in a few days. The grill will soon be satin black. I'm uncertain if I'll keep some of the other chrome parts. Time will tell.

Being an 8 year old car with 58k miles, there are a few little things that need attention. The most concerning cosmetic issue is the lower front valance. It is cracked and this was not disclosed by the seller. It also was not mentioned in the inspection I had performed. Thankfully, my driver, Victor, took a picture of this before the car was loaded, so I know it existed before transport. It is not all that visible, but does extend vertically far enough to be seen. I plan to take this up with the seller, but regardless, I'm sure I'll want to deal with it in some fashion. The power closing trunk does not work. The hinge for the plastic cover on the passenger vanity mirror is loose and the vanity light does not illuminate. It only came with one key (I knew this going in). I'll need a puck or alternative device for bluetooth connectivity an streaming music.

The vehicle inspection did disclose a slight ticking from the right (passenger) side valve cover area. It is far less evident than in many of the sound clips and videos I've watched from others with top end noise. This may resolve with some regular driving as I know this car has not been driven much at all for the past few months. Although it has a fresh oil change, I suspect an MB filter was not used. So, I intend to go ahead and change the oil with an MB filter and see if that helps.

That's it for now. Once I get it cleaned up I'll take some pics and post them. I'm looking forward to getting to know this car better and expect we'll get along swimmingly.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:56 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Sounds good and glad you finally got it,

1. grab a puck off eBay for the bluetooth phone.
2. I think the Viseo Tune 2 Air is the bluetooth for the iPod. Mine works great and still controllable through steering wheel.

3. you might grab a Carbon Fiber lip through a vendor for the front valance. Mine was cracked below the visible line of the nose, but once installed then it wasn't an issue. A body person can fix the crack and repaint if no lip

4. Mobil 1 5w-40 I think is the factory oil of choice. $25 at Walmart in 5qt jugs. get that in it and see if it ticks. Likely still will but its also likely just normal tapping of the lifters, mine does sometimes.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 PM

07 E63 AMG
Many congrats on the purchase, I've been in my 07 now for a few weeks and I'm still grinning from ear to ear!! Good to hear I'm not the only one with the tapping noise ^^^ I was starting to worry a bit.

I got the Tune 2 Air last week for Bluetooth audio and it sounds great. Cost about $80 on eBay. Displays between the speedo and clock but not on the command screen, not sure if that is by design or not.

Looking forward to seeing a couple pics after u clean it up...
Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM

2007 E63
My wife and I took the E63 on a little weekend getaway a few hours from home. It's a great road car. I haven't had time to take any quality pics. But I did snap this one today while we were out shopping. This led me to discover another thing I like about this car and another thing I dislike. The pro: The trunk is cavernous and can easily hold many many shopping bags. The con: The trunk is cavernous and can easily hold many many shopping bags!
Attached Thumbnails New Member/Owner - 2007 E63 AMG-image.jpg  

Last edited by Dryfly; 03-28-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
My wife and I took the E63 on a little weekend getaway a few hours from home. It's a great road car. I haven't had time to take any quality pics. But I did snap this one today while we were out shopping. This led me to discover another thing I like about this car and another thing I dislike. The pro: The trunk is cavernous and can easily hold many many shopping bags. The con: The trunk is cavernous and can easily hold many many shopping bags!
I see you owned a XF R at some point, could you possibly give us a comparison that you see between that and the now E63. I have always like the new Jags and especially the XF and Xk's but my love for the Merc outweights it so much I haven't even driven a Jag. Plus I would have a Aston DB9 before a XK. Anyway glad you like it so far, and I am sure you wife would love to keep filling the truck with items
Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 PM

07 e63 amg
Love the color...enjoy your E63 beast!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Member/Owner - 2007 E63 AMG