Sponsored by:

It's been 6 months and I'm still looking for my perfect E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Everyone is waiting to find one and the guys that have them won't sell them because the bottom has fallen out of the market. Hope you find yours. I can't believe your SL55 had $30k in warranty claims. Mine has been the most reliable car I've owned.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
Everyone is waiting to find one and the guys that have them won't sell them because the bottom has fallen out of the market. Hope you find yours. I can't believe your SL55 had $30k in warranty claims. Mine has been the most reliable car I've owned.
"Everyone is waiting to find one and the guys that have them won't sell them because the bottom has fallen out of the market." -- excellent point.

SL55 reliable? You're lucky. Gotta remember that E55s are not extremely reliable and they're far less complicated/cheaper to fix than an SL55 (airmatic vs. ABC, no convertible top). My service advisor said 03/04 had the worst reliability, however. Off the top of my head most components of ABC broke at some point, shifter stuck in park, rear view mirror replacement, SC, motor/trans mounts, tpms, etc etc etc. That $30k number was given to be by the warranty company when I inquired about transferring it to the new owner. All work done at the dealer of course. The dude on the phone laughed when he pulled the history of payouts

Last edited by tubaprde; 05-25-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
I would't waste your money on a warranty. Plenty of members including myself don't have one (I have 30K miles on an 04). Buy the right car, with all maintenance records, check the forums for issues and find a good independent local shop. See the post below:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-warranty.html

Most of the reason why claims are so high is shops are charging the highest possible rates and people are milking the warranties to try and get their money back.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
Originally Posted by WIKDWS6
I would't waste your money on a warranty. Plenty of members including myself don't have one (I have 30K miles on an 04). Buy the right car, with all maintenance records, check the forums for issues and find a good independent local shop. See the post below:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-warranty.html

Most of the reason why claims are so high is shops are charging the highest possible rates and people are milking the warranties to try and get their money back.
This shouldn't really be an argument. There are plenty of people on this board that had over $10,000 in claims paid on their AMGs. I paid three grand for mine and drive it 50k miles in four years. It sounds like you don't drive yours much. In addition when I sold the car to a private party I received a premium price because of course the new buyer saw value in the warranty with 2yrs remaining. Now that I drive close to 20,000 miles a year it's a no-brainer for me.