W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E63: timing retardation causing bad knocking?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
E63: timing retardation causing bad knocking?!

Hey guys, I've been having an issue with my e63 for some time now. I get a engine knock noise on light acceleration which seems to happen when it's warmer outside. I've taken the car to 2 dealerships, the first gave me some BS about carbon build up. One service advisor actually told me to run seafoam..... Several other bad experiences led me to another dealer who actually addressed the Tappet issue without me fighting with them. After they did that service the knocking came back after a few days of driving. I returned the car to them and they have not been able to come up with a reason outside of it pulling timing because of the warm air which Is causing the knocking noise. They said that this is what the car is suppose to do and that everything looks fine to them.

I find this hard to believe that the car is suppose to sound like this, specially being a $100k car. Has anybody had anything that resembles this issue with their E63!?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Could be anything from bad cams, bad lifters or cam adjusters. Without seeing the car it's only guesses. I'm not sure what dealers are in your area, or what there like but if they don't see m156's often, they may not know what there doing. The engine should not be knocking due to hot weather. post up your area and maybe fellow members can recommend someone in your area that is experienced with the m156.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32, C55, 08 E63
Well they did warranty the valve tappets And i believe the adjusters but not the cam, I asked why and they said there was no damaged to the cam to warrant them replacing it. This was due to the loud ticking at idle on cold start up. Right after they performed this service the car did not start pinging while driving for 2-3 days and got worse the more I drove it.

They said they went back over all their work to make sure nothing was wrong inside the motor and said everything checks out fine. Since the car is under CPO warranty I'm kinda stuck goin to only dealerships with the car so I can't really go to somebody specific outside of a dealer. I do like the current dealership but I just find it hard to believe that there isn't something wrong with the car if it's making this noise. I know nobody would buy a car that's doing this from their lot so why do I have to put up with it? Our fuel in AZ isn't the best but I only run chevron/she'll gas and always 91. They told me it hasn't really happened since they put everything back together and to drive it more to see if it gets worse because they can't really do anything else at this point other then replacing the whole motor....
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Tell them that if they can't diagnose it to open a tac (technical assistance)case. Mercedes will help them diagnose it and if necessary, send someone out to help them. It is unacceptable that it is making noise and it is under cpo warranty. Seems like the dealer is stumped and hope you just accept the noise as normal. My 100k m156 as well as a coworkers 110k mi m156 does not tick/knock when hot.

I do still usually ( there is a handful of really good indy's) recommend dealers to repair these cars. Unfortunately net every dealer tech is a A+
Old 08-18-2022, 05:10 PM

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 E63S
wrong post
Old 06-20-2024, 10:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Think they’ll bring the 53 wagon over?
The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (06-20-2024)