W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

How to remove brake pad retention clips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2015 | 02:04 AM

2001 M Roadster, 2005 E55 AMG Estate
How to remove brake pad retention clips

It honestly seems like my retention pins are different from everyone elses. Mine pins have a slight indentation in the center which catches on the edge of the retention clip.

Basically hammering out the retention pins just moves the retention clip from one side of the caliper to the other but I can't actually hammer the pin out without figuring out some way of pushing the clip down further so the edges no longer catch.

It's as if the pins were designed this way to prevent them from accidently sliding out.

My question is... how the hell does anyone put pressure on these things to remove them? Every DIY seems to just glaze right over this as if it's trivial. So i'm feeling pretty stupid just asking this but I can't find an answer or even a picture anywhere.
Old 06-23-2015 | 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Just use a flatblade screwdriver to apply a little downward pressure on the spring while you drive the pin through.
Old 06-23-2015 | 03:24 PM

E55
Exactly my question first time I changed the front pads - the notch on the pin was catching the retaining clip. I did at first use a flat blade to wedge btw the pin and the clip, which works, but have since found simply hammering the punch with more force does the trick, and does not damage the components.

Reassembling the pin and clip does however require sliding the clip left and right as you slide the pin in, otherwise it'll seem too hard to do by hand.