Sponsored by:

Radar Detector advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
Radar Detector advice

I want to hardwire my radar detector. I'm looking at fuses F021 through F042 to hardwire my radar detector. Do any of these fuses turn off power or are they all constantly on? I don't want to go through the firewall and accidentally create a problem. I have tried the overhead console and tapped into a power wire but it would not turn the detector on even though I'm getting a constant 13.20 volts. I have seen this problem in other threads (and they have a solution only for V1) where they were installing a Valentine One, but I'm not using a V1 mostly because it never shuts up with all the false alerts. I'm using a Whistler cr90 which I love.

If anyone knows an easy to get to 12 volt power source that switches off please let me know.

Last edited by Lance1337; 07-16-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
cigarette lighter in front of shifter can be set as constant power or switched by changing a fuse location (I forget which one now) -- I leave my radar detector plugged in all the time and comes on when I start the car... hardwire would be cleaner but it works for me.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by hayseed
cigarette lighter in front of shifter can be set as constant power or switched by changing a fuse location (I forget which one now) -- I leave my radar detector plugged in all the time and comes on when I start the car... hardwire would be cleaner but it works for me.
I know you can just plug it into the cigarette lighter plug and it will work lol. But that doesn't do it for me. I don't like wires everywhere.

Does anyone know if any of the fuses F021 through F042 turn off?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I tapped into some switched power under the dash. I have the power cord running up inside the trim along the A-pillar and then tucked inside the headliner running over to the mirror.

The Valentine 1 does have different modes you can set it to in order to get rid of the false positives. Also, if you don't feel like tapping into power anywhere, they have the Savvy accessory. It plugs into the OBD2 port to power the detector and you can set it to auto-mute all signals below whatever speed you want. I had it and really liked it, but the OBD2 port didn't supply enough juice for that unit and the DashDAQ. I also have the remote display set up on top of the steering column. It blanks out the lights on the main unit.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Originally Posted by Lance1337
I know you can just plug it into the cigarette lighter plug and it will work lol. But that doesn't do it for me. I don't like wires everywhere.

Does anyone know if any of the fuses F021 through F042 turn off?
I believe the only switched fuses are in the engine compartment:
-F49
-F50
-F53 a&b
-F54 a&b
-F67

F54 is the fuse for the cig lighter. Position A is switched. Position B is constant.

Tap into the wires leading to the cig lighter - just have to remove the ashtray.