Sponsored by:

New member with some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E46 M3, G37s

Hi guys, so it's my first post, I'm in the market for a w211 e55. I've done a lot of research on it and come to the conclusion that the drivetrain is somewhat reliable just some parts wear out. IE air matic, SC bearing and pulley. I went to look at a 2005 with 90k. Car is really clean but I'm worried about a few things. The guy is a one man dealer that deals with exotics and high end cars. He bought the car in 2008 with 78k it's now almost at 90k. So it's been sitting in his garage. But the thing is it was "flooded" back In 2007. So it is salvaged. He told me the story where it was a supposed "flood" the old owner threw mud everywhere and threw mud all over the engine. I don't know if it's bs but that's what he told me. Car sits for weeks on end. Today was the first time in 4 weeks it's been started. All the stuff inside work. Vented seats, radio and nav. But one of the valve covers was seeping so 4 weeks of seepage burned off so it was smoking.

My concerns, that the panels aren't original because there were no vins on the fenders and it seemed like they were painted. The bolts were also painted so I don't know if it came from factory like that. Car is really well optioned. Pano roof alcantara headliner, auto trunk, active seats. Nav, the backup sensors. He's asking 13k. Not sure if it's worth it. I'm a pretty young guy at 18 so I'm not trying to spend a lot. Is this worth it or should I just go buy one myself from auction and just fix it so I know the history. Once I said I'll need a PPI done he started to get a bit fidgety saying you can talk to my mechanic he's worked on it since day 1, I also spoke to him on the phone. So is this a good deal or should I run away. Car looks reaally clean with a nice classy lorinser rims (not tacky or showy at all)
Old 07-18-2015, 12:58 AM

E46 M3, G37s

Old 07-18-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
V60 Polestar, Veloster N 6MT
Personally I wouldn't consider any car that had a salvage title.

This is just my opinion, but if you're not trying to spend a lot (age notwithstanding), you shouldn't be considering an AMG, let alone any luxury German marque.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
15 S63, 18 Ram 2500 Cummins
Im a dealer, post the vin and ill try to search it and see how whacked it was at the auction
Old 07-18-2015, 03:45 AM

E46 M3, G37s
I mean do you guys notice anything wrong in the pictures? Is it clean for a salvage car? Opinions? Also my dad has always liked the powerful benz sedans and has always wanted one.

And can you actually check everything just by a vin? What does it show?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
I would avoid water damage at all cost on one of these. For $13k I would just buy one with a little more miles. Miles don't mean s**t on these cars. It's all on how well there maintained. These cars are 10+ years old and that's the issue. Rubber dries out so things leak like the airmatic rubber springs, rubber and silicone gaskets leak oil etc. I would find the car with the best maintenance records in your price range. My c43 has 190,000 mi, my old ml had 230,000 when I traded it in on my 100,000 ml63. My e55 had 125,000 when I sold it to a coworker. It now has 140,000 I think and runs mid 11's

Basically these cars are going to need a majority of repairs just due to there age, not mileage and prices go way down at 100,000. There is no reason to take on a extra headache of water damage and a lifetime of "can network" issues due to corrosion. Also, your going to have a hard time selling a salvage title car, just like he is when that time comes.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Salvaged? No thanks. A good price on a bad car is still a bad deal.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none

I do recall that the bolts do come painted from factory the trick is to see if there are scuffs on the bolts or if they are not seated correctly

I'm sure for $13k you can find an E55 that isn't salvaged. Did u check to see if your insurance company will even insure a salvage vehicle?

Have you looked into a c32? You can save money for repairs or even mods. If you've been on the road for two years a e55 can be a handful for an inexperienced driver
Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
stay awwway from rebuilt title cars !!! no good value ... bad resale !!!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:45 PM

E46 M3, G37s
I really don't want something small. I've driven my friends w211 e63, it's also salvaged but his family has a body shop. It's a really nice cruiser and just a fun car overall. The c32 looks pretty nice but haven't done the research, I mean I've barely seen ANY of them around here. And that's really weird. I mean would you guys suggest that over a e55? It's just the e55 has that special something that makes it a AMG car, the class and the power. The c32 isn't really popular for anyone to know it. Probably will think I'm a AMG fanboy with a c320 LOL.

I'll do some research on them, thanks guys!

Any other opinions on a salvaged e55? I might be able to sell my bmw and try to get something a bit nicer.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Don't buy a salvaged car because that's all you can afford. Buy a clean title, well maintained one when the time is right. In the long run you will save more by purchasing a nicer one and it will be more enjoyable.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e55
I have dealt with various types of salvage titles. I was a mechanic for 6 years. I would avoid any car with flood damage. These cars have modules that go under the seats, also if I remember the tcm is under the dash close to the transmission module. Too many electronics that can lead to massive headaches for you. Also the bolts on fenders on all cars I have worked on are painted. that is one easy way for you to see if they have been tampered with. the paint on the bolts will be scratched and peeled off. In my opinion keep looking you will find one.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:13 PM

E46 M3, G37s
But the thing is, I don't think it was truly a salvage vehicle. The first owner was a lease. He drove it 74k in the first TWO years. Then magically it became "flooded". They threw mud everywhere and threw mud up on the shock towers and got rid of it. This is what the owner told me, he also stated that his friend does all types of high end flooded cars and he could tell this wasn't a real flooded car. No accidents on carfax, but that's easy to hide. The owner STILL hasn't registered it under his name so basically it is a 1 owner car. Did you guys see the pictures? The salvage title isn't a big throw off for me if I know the history perfectly but this one is a IFFY type of deal. I mean if you can find a sub 80k e55 with barely any damage, and no structural damage and you have many body shop buddies won't you do it also? The resale in SoCal for a salvage high end car is really good so I won't have a problem selling it later on.
I've had a long list of cars I wanted but this one has everything I wanted.
Speed/ luxury/ class and the wow factor
Plus it's a family carrier so we can go comfortably to Arizona whenever we desire.
Was thinking about a e39 m5 but those maintenance costs scared me away. I never thought a benz would be this obtainable for such a good price. I look forward to your replies.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
You had concerns that it was repainted, flooded, wanted input and everybody said no. Now you are defending a car that has a salvage title? It's cheap and fast.... I get it. It's been in an incident which branded the vehicle a total loss...you're telling me I can get out of my car by throwing some mud on it? Insurance companies are not stupid my man. A claim that big, they sent out an adjuster to inspect the vehicle, something went wrong and they totalled it.

I'll end with this...his "friend" said it was a clean car (although flooded out with some mud). Yet, the owner gets fidgety when you want a PPI done on it? May want to take advice from guys that live with the cars.

Good luck on your venture.

(P.S: I have a iPhone 6 for sale, I washed it last night but seems to be working and looks great. Do you want to buy it?)

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 07-18-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Eldorado Sean
But the thing is, I don't think it was truly a salvage vehicle. The first owner was a lease. He drove it 74k in the first TWO years. Then magically it became "flooded". They threw mud everywhere and threw mud up on the shock towers and got rid of it. This is what the owner told me, he also stated that his friend does all types of high end flooded cars and he could tell this wasn't a real flooded car. No accidents on carfax, but that's easy to hide. The owner STILL hasn't registered it under his name so basically it is a 1 owner car. Did you guys see the pictures? The salvage title isn't a big throw off for me if I know the history perfectly but this one is a IFFY type of deal. I mean if you can find a sub 80k e55 with barely any damage, and no structural damage and you have many body shop buddies won't you do it also? The resale in SoCal for a salvage high end car is really good so I won't have a problem selling it later on.
Plus it's a family carrier so we can go comfortably to Arizona whenever we desire.
Was thinking about a e39 m5 but those maintenance costs scared me away. I never thought a benz would be this obtainable for such a good price. I look forward to your replies.
salvage title/flood damage...run away. why even risk it when you can buy a clean title for the same amount.
and why would you ever believe the seller that its not really a salvage because they threw mud on it? and why would you take his own mechanics word for it? you think the insurance companies are stupid and just said yeah there is mud everywhere lets just total the car out? insurance companies send out inspectors who need to visually see and document the damage so there had to have been some serious water damage for them to total it.
you also say salvage title on high end cars sell really good however everyone is telling you not to buy so it cant be good at all.
the pictures dont tell you anything. you need to see under the surface of everything to really know and that would take hours with an experienced person.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:21 PM

E46 M3, G37s
Alright thanks for the replies guys. So I'll just pass on this. You guys live with them everyday so I'll take the advice. So what do you guys suggest me do? I have a limited budget of what I've saved up and don't want to blow everything on a single car I want some left over for repairs and whatnot. I want a pretty well optioned, especially the active seats and active headlights, also would love the nav. I really enjoy the fully loaded cars for some reason and would prefer those. So how much should i expect to spend on a clean one. My dad has many buddies and very close family members in the buisiness so we get major discounts on parts.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM

65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
You believe everything you hear from a used car dealer/salesman? Trust me, there are good E55's out there for under $15k. Plus do you really want to risk one of these wires having a slightly corroded electrical pin that intermittently goes to a open circuit? I wouldn't and I'm a mb master tech.

Btw, this is just the body harness, there are many other sub harnesses.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:15 PM

E46 M3, G37s
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5087760796.html
Are you guys talking about cars like this?
I feel like above 100k is asking for something, I know it's a benz but i want something that it's an been owned by an older owner, this one I can tell it was a younger guy. I have a really good eye for abused cars and I could tell what type of owner they are just by talking to them.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
I feel like above 100k is asking for something, I know it's a benz but i want something that it's an been owned by an older owner, this one I can tell it was a younger guy. I have a really good eye for abused cars and I could tell what type of owner they are just by talking to them.
Ide take one of these with 130k+ on it over a salvaged flood car that has 90k. Your nuts to even consider it. That guy should be asking 8k tops. If your at the max of your budget allready you may be making a huge mistake buying an e55. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 E63s
I'd go see it in person, check the service records and make an offer if it checks out. I'd take this over a salvaged title car any day.
water+touchy electronics=problems
Old 07-19-2015, 01:59 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Do you have room in your budget for new wires/plugs, crapped out airmatic one morning, new filters, tires, valve cover seals, transmission flush etc? These are normal maintenance and not uncommon repairs on a seemingly good condition car. The asking price is just the beginning.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 AM

That one looks a little rough. I bet the Las Vegas sun cooked those nise soft leather seats into cardboard. Don't pay attention to mileage. It means nothing when it comes to vehicle condition. I've seen 30k mi cars worse off than 100k cars. This isn't a American car, it won't self destruct at 100k. It will most likely need some work though, like any 12 year old car. Just wait and the right one will come along.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 F150, 05 E55, 98 Volvo
Wait for the right car. Just bought mine with 90k on it. Looks like it has 5k on it and every record since day one. Its out there just wait for it.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:12 PM

E46 M3, G37s
What do you guys think is a realistic number to save up for a clean e55 under 100k. Preferably well maintained and close to fully loaded.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 F150, 05 E55, 98 Volvo
The value of these cars is all over the map. You can find garbage for 11-15 or superb examples for under $20. Mine had 88k miles with all the right high dollar upgrades and even all of the rubber seals looked new and full documentation! It was super rare due to the condition and documentation. This car was worth every bit of $19 that I paid and would of paid more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member with some questions