Sponsored by:

Stalling, no error codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Stalling, no error codes

Could really use your experience on this one.

A few hours ago I came back from a two hour round trip drive, and turned right into a parking lot. As the car came down to idle speed from the turn, it stalled and died. Car restarted with no problem. 15 seconds later, died at idle again. Car restarted, drove to a parking space, died a third time at idle. Checked the car in park, and let it rev to 1,200-1,500. Seemed fine. Let it idle. Died. Nothing transmission related in park.

I could drive the car at 1,000 RPM without it cutting out, so I tried to limp it home (about a mile away). That worked for a while, but then power started to diminish and even with my foot on the throttle it wanted to stall out. Bucked a little, but nothing too severe. Felt like it was running rough as well at this point (never had any rough idle in the past).

Car then died in the street. Would not restart at all. Tried twice, let it sit. Called a tow truck, dropped the car off at home. Been two hours, cranks but does not start. Battery voltage at 12.9 V even after pulling codes on STAR.

Which leads me to the next part : no error codes.

Last time the crankshaft position sensor went (this one is only a year old), it didn't throw codes either until a really bad THUNK session, with the car stalling on take off. Even then, it only threw one.

Fuel pumps were replaced at the dealer about six months ago under this warranty with the leaks.

Additionally, the car has on very RARE occasions not wanted to start when I fire it up. I've also felt the slightest bit of roughness to the engine idle as of late.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Amazon is next daying me a CPS tomorrow.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 10-21-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Check your fuel pump relays - my 03 E55 had a very similar issue (replaced the CPS, found the fuel pumps to be working properly), but would have issues similar to what you describe.

Wound up pulling my passenger side trunk liner to discover that the fuel pump relay socket had melted, and the relay was making intermittent connectivity! Replaced the socket/relay and never had issues again.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Curious to know what could be the cause. Let us know after you check under the rear seats if its your fuel pumps or sending units?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Not long after I replaced my fuel pumps and sender unit I got the same symptoms you are getting now

I found out that 1 of the tops of the fuel pumps, the line that clips onto them had popped off and only 1 pump was driving the system, I could keep the revs up a little fine but idle would stutter and then die

Those lines need to be pushed on until the POP, some other guys have had them pop off at intervals as well after having pump work

Just something to go on

Only takes 10 minutes to pull the rear seat and remove the 8mms and lid to view the lines

After reading your symptoms for a 3rd time I would also suggest the Crank Angle sensor as a first guess
Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 AM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
New symptoms. Car sat all night.

Now it simply cranks, doesn't start.

Sensor arrives today.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
fuel pump relays is what i think
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Your fuel pump or pumps are failing.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Okay. It was not the CPS. Or at least, it's not the CPS anymore.

The fuel tank is empty on the passenger side where the dual fuel pumps are. Tank is empty on that side. Reserve basket is empty on that side.

Car shows it has half a tank of gas, and should, since I haven't driven that much since filling up.

Anyone run into this? Did I run it out of gas cranking it checking for the CPS to restart?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:08 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
So its the transfer pump in the sender unit on the driver's side. It's under warranty because I bought it a year ago, and I'm towing it to the dealer to have it replaced under warranty.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Did you not get the whole tank replaced with everything already under the extended warranty?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Filter/Sender unit is less than a year old. So are the pumps. I actually bought the sender unit before the official letter came out and was reimbursed for it.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
it wouldnt be under warranty since you were reimbursed for it but im sure you can work something out with them..