W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Troubles with header install. Exhaust guru needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2015 | 04:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06' E55 AMG, 03' E55 AMG
Troubles with header install. Exhaust guru needed

First off I just want to say Cory from Kleemann has been a great help to me and I am very happy I went with Kleemann.

I had a Indy do the install for me since I cant weld. The setup goes
Kleemann > X pipe > Stock Resonator > Stock Mufflers. I hate the smell so I will be installing a pair of high flow cats which solves my first issue. Second issue is that when I give it a little gas upto about 3 to 4k rpm, the car makes a exhaust leak sound. I read on a few threads that this is a normal sound for the xpipe and also a normal sound for the headers. That sound bugs me a little so I was wondering if theres a way to fight this? Maybe the high flow cats will help? Lastly and also the biggest issue, the drivers side header rubs on the firewall just where the four pipes come into the collector. It is literally touching the firewall on the drivers side and theres almost two inches of clearance on the other side. I can take the car to high revs without issues if i ease into it, but if I immediately floor it, it rubs and I can feel and hear it (makes me cringe). The drivers side motor mount was collapsed and I replaced it at a friends house, we couldn't get the passenger side out without talking the header off so we had to leave it until I could do it on my own time. But I did inspect it and it isnt collapsed. Has anyone else has this issue? Im going back to the indy soon so he can take a look because I am completely stumped.
Old 11-09-2015 | 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
totally normal, thinner walls in the headers create this 'whoosh' sound...

mine dont rub at all - did you check your engine and transmission mounts?
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:02 PM

06' E55 AMG, 03' E55 AMG
The drivers side mount was collapsed and I was able to squeeze it out without removing the header. The passenger side was fine and it requires me to remove the header so I had to put it back in until I had time. Tomorrow I will be removing the header and replacing the passenger side just in case, and I will also check the tranny mount! Question tho, does your drivers side header sit closer to the firewall than the passenger side?
Old 11-09-2015 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
It seems like they all make that sound. My 63 makes it too. I think its a terrible sound. It will only do it at moderate low. I try my best to never let it make that noise. Sounds like a MASSIVE leak to me.
Old 11-10-2015 | 11:26 AM

06' E55 AMG, 03' E55 AMG
Yeah even Cory says its normal. So no one elses drivers side sits as close as mine does then? I plan on tearing it apart and doing the other mount today and well see what happens. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by PutNavid; 11-10-2015 at 11:40 AM.