W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the driving experience compared to other cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 01:42 AM
Guest0001

Thumbs up How is the driving experience compared to other cars?

I know most of you here have numerous other Sports Cars other than your E55s.

How do you comapare your AMG to other sport cars you currently have or had? By compare I mean The fun factor in comparison to your Porsche's, M5's, and Ferrari's etc. Do you consider the e55 to be the best balance of Sport without the stiff suspension of other sports cars?

Just wondering.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
I would apprecite an answer to this question too.

What I would like to hear is if say the M5 handles better, how much better. I noticed in R&T that the E39 M5 was not that much better in the slalom.

Do mmebers of htis list find the E55 a real elephant [in temrs of lack of nimbleness] or is it pretty close.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:36 AM

2004 E55
I wish the question had been asked in a few months, since I live in New York and have winter tires on. That being said, nimble? Nimble to me means I can effortlessly toss the car around and have it stay planted to the road. From everything I've read it handles very well.....for a sedan. Too much weight and too much torque for me to say it feels nimble. I'll be anxious to read the opinions of people in warm climes who have run the car near its limits already. As for previous cars I've had fast ones, but I think you're talking mainly handling so I'd just mention the C32 and Porsche 911(930). The C32 was nimble and fun to drive. A full notch or two below an M3, but nice. The Porshe was a whole different animal. Certainly faster than my E55. With huge tires and the rear engine configuration I had to try to get any wheelspin from a start. It was glued to the road on turns. Under 3,000 pounds with 500 HP. Mind numbingly fast but so well put together and so stable your grandmother could drive it if she could drive a stick. The E55 is very enjoyable to drive for many reasons, but the driver involvement is nowhere near the same, nor the excitement. If I found just the right car and just the right deal, I could see myself getting another 911 Turbo. This time with Tiptronic so my wife could drive it too.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Noble C320

How do you compare....fun factor in comparison to your Porsche's, M5's, and Ferrari's etc. Do you consider the e55 to be the best balance of Sport without the stiff suspension of other sports cars?
You are truly talking apples and oranges here.
Like asking which vacation destination is better: NYC, Paris or Bali.

IMO Porsche 911 is the ultimate balance of fun and driveability.
(Most) Ferraris are exotics which aren't practical for routine use, but are more purely exciting then Porsche given proper road conditions.
Porsches and Ferraris are not competitors of the E55.

The M5 (and Audi RS6) are the E55's truest competitors The M5 handles better (based on prior model--new one isn't out yet). The new one will be very similar in straight line performance, perhaps slightly quicker.
Overall, people who buy E55's seem to want great overall balance of luxury, performance, somewhat conservative styling, and daily driveability.

Each of the cars you mentioned has a different core market it appeals to. There's some crossover, but not all that much.