MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Yes it's a gates heavy duty belt.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'05 E55, ‘00 ML55, ‘92 500E
Originally Posted by latemodel21
(please, someone correct me if I am wrong) There are no Mercedes part numbers for ANY parts internal to this supercharger. Additionally, replacing the supercharger input shaft seal is not a simple undertaking (or one that I have seen chronicled).

did you happen to measure how much oil you gto out of it?

when you say "looked through the holes on the clutch itself and noticed some wet looking dirt" are you referring to holes in the magnet or the pulley part of the "clutch"? (your magnet should look like the one shown in post #21). The reason I ask is because in severe cases or front-seal-leakage, some of the organic-looking material in the face of the magnet can actually come out (when sufficiently degraded by leaking SC oil) and may appear to look like dirt.

as far as replacing that seal,
this outfit has been around for some time and lists the AMG IHI SC as one that they rebuild
http://www.pse.us/Products/Mercedes-...-55-Series.htm

and this other outfit says they work on IHI SCs and have a great flat rate for SC repair ... I have no first hand experience with either company, but the second one may supply parts to DIYers ...
http://jonbondperformance.com/index....products_id=12

Hope that helps,
Chris
I was looking through the holes of the magnet with the pulley removed. I did not measure the old fluid that came out but according to another thread, it's only supposed to be filled with 150ml of oil. It looked some what close to that amount when I took it out and I transferred the oil into an old gatorade bottle which was about 1/4 of the way or so filled with the old oil. I can see if my buddy still has it and if he can measure it for me.

I just found it odd. I noticed the barnyard smell as soon as I took the pulley off but couldn't notice any wet spots on the top of the engine under the clutch yet I was able to remove a good bit of oil from the SC. I may have to look into sending it off this spring to have it resealed and refurbished if the shaft seal is something that can't be DIY.

Last edited by Bean93x; 02-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Bean93x
I was looking through the holes of the magnet with the pulley removed. I did not measure the old fluid that came out but according to another thread, it's only supposed to be filled with 150ml of oil. It looked some what close to that amount when I took it out and I transferred the oil into an old gatorade bottle which was about 1/4 of the way or so filled with the old oil. I can see if my buddy still has it and if he can measure it for me.

I just found it odd. I noticed the barnyard smell as soon as I took the pulley off but couldn't notice any wet spots on the top of the engine under the clutch yet I was able to remove a good bit of oil from the SC. I may have to look into sending it off this spring to have it resealed and refurbished if the shaft seal is something that can't be DIY.

If you are, as you say, "looking through holes in the magnet" (again, the magnet is the large round part with blue tape on it in post 21 of this thread), then the magnet has suffered MAJOR degradation and you should probably start hunting for a replacement supercharger.

It would be good to post a picture of your magnet.

Chris
Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'05 E55, ‘00 ML55, ‘92 500E
Originally Posted by latemodel21
If you are, as you say, "looking through holes in the magnet" (again, the magnet is the large round part with blue tape on it in post 21 of this thread), then the magnet has suffered MAJOR degradation and you should probably start hunting for a replacement supercharger.

It would be good to post a picture of your magnet.

Chris
I should have taken a picture when I had it all apart. As referring to the picture on post 21...

I removed the bolt holding the pulley, removed the washer that mounts on the two pins, and then removed the pulley. The pulley came off with the bearing and a plate of sorts that is connected to the pulley. I guess there was also another plate that sat behind and next to the pulley that had factory drilled holes in it. Those were the holes I was able to look through to I guess in terms be able to look at the face of the magnet itself as pictured in post #21. Perhaps I had mistaken the plate with the holes as being the actual magnet?

peering through the holes on the plate to view the magnet itself showed the wet and dirty looking material. I did not try to remove the plate with the perfectly drilled holes. The magnet looked okay, just dirty and moist from what I believe is the front seal leaking slightly. No major pitting or "holes" or damage that I could see with my limited view through the holes.