Sponsored by:

W211 E63 Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Exclamation W211 E63 Headers

Looking on getting some headers on my car but there are a lot of different setups and I don't know what to expect. I hope to get some feedback from people that only have an E63 and not a C63. The weight diff is significant for me so I think we might have diff results.

1) Long Tube Headers + Straight Pipe Resonator + Catless?
2) Long Tube Headers + X Pipe Resonator + Catless?
3) Long Tube Headers + Straight Pipe Resonator + Catted?
4) Long Tube Headers + X Pipe Resonator + Catted?
5) Long Tube Headers + Stock Resonator + Stock Cats

Please specify for each, on average.
1) Wheel horsepower
2) Wheel Torque
3) Sound difference

Also, in a few short paragraphs the difference between a stock e63. Throttle, acceleration, sound? Etc etc.

I currently have just a straight pipe resonator. While it produces great sound, I am always aching to hear the strong pop pop pop noises on deceleration, but it's no where near it.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Search for long tube headers and LOUD. I went through a battle to quiet down my E55 with long tubes, and the 6.2L is even louder. I ended up reinstalling the secondaries along with race car primaries and then it was tolerable.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:37 PM

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Search for long tube headers and LOUD. I went through a battle to quiet down my E55 with long tubes, and the 6.2L is even louder. I ended up reinstalling the secondaries along with race car primaries and then it was tolerable.
I hear xpipe on reso tunes it down but is it enough
Old 02-06-2016, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i have a set of new shortie PLM headers for my 08 E63 - unfortunately still in the box, but was told that installed with a tune should be around 550 hp - won't be too loud, but will def wake it up a bit at WOT
Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
The n/a e63 has limited performance mods. Many owners become frustrated to to add more power. They sound amazing and if your doing headers go with a good long tube if power is important.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:47 AM

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
The n/a e63 has limited performance mods. Many owners become frustrated to to add more power. They sound amazing and if your doing headers go with a good long tube if power is important.
I agree with long tubes and tune. What confuses me is the difference between catted and catless. Straight pipe vs xpipe on resonators or second cats. There is like 10 combinations. Can someone give us a rundown?
Old 07-17-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 (sold) 2009 E63 AMG (SOLD), 2015 E 63 AMG S
I'm on the same boat as you. I have a 09 E63 with X pipe, no resonator no secondaries and it sounds really good but I am considering adding some MBH LTH. Just don't know how loud ita going to be. Headers for the N/A 6.2 might be the best mod, so I've heard from the C63 guys.

Would be nice if people with w211 m156 could chime in with some feed back. Acceleration/Power/Emissions/Noise
Old 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
I added AR long tubes and an EC tune within the last month or so. I have 200 cel cats with x-pipe, stock resonator and stock mufflers. All done by Eurocharged.

The sound is awesome, imho. I wasn't looking for loud, and it was a concern of mine that it would be too much after reading here and on the W204 forums. Hence, leaving resonator and stock mufflers. But we don't have the C mufflers, which some call megaphones. On my E, it growls just a little more at idle and under light throttle, but the difference is significant under WOT and heavier throttle. Start up bark is louder, but I live in a gated community and have no issues, not even starting it in my garage. I didn't want my car to sound preposterous, and I think it's damn near perfect in my set up. Some may want louder and you could certainly delete resonator, and/or not do the 200 cel cats. I wanted my car to sound like what it is; a bad *** four-door luxury AMG with a great motor that can fly when you want it to. I feel like I have that now.

I had ROW boxes and Afe drop-ins when we base-lined it on their dynojet. Also have had the headbolts, lifters and all other peripherals done along with weistec catch-can and weistec pulleys. Also new plugs, but besides that stuff, no mods. WHP was 422 base-line and was 475 after tubes and tune. I have my chart at the office and can't remember exact tq numbers, but gains were similar, the tq delta being a little less, I think. I can post that tomorrow. There may still be a little left on the table, but I wanted to keep it realistic for how I drive and maintain it and not push it to the bleeding edge. There are compromises in both ends.

It certainly drives different, in a good way, with throttle response crisper and when on the highway at WOT, it just screams as it keeps pulling and pulling.

Tubes and tune ain't cheap, but would I do it again? Yep. Now if I can pass inspection next month, I'll be happy.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:35 PM

E63 AMG
Do you have a sound clip you can post? Your setup reads exactly like what I am looking for!
Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Nah, I haven't made one. Typically, when I was listening to sound clips, a local acquaintance sent one to me and when I actually heard the car in real life, I didn't really think it was the same car, it sounded so different. My personal conclusion was that sound clips didn't really help me, and in some instances, hampered my decision process. Of course, YMMV, but that's what I haven't put one out there.

Basically, if you have a stock E63, and want to hear more of the M156 but don't want to sound like a hooligan, get tubes and leave the resonator and mufflers in place. You will like what you hear.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:09 PM

E63 AMG
Makes perfect sense to me... Has their ever been a group buy on headers? $3K is absolutely insane considering top of the line LTH's for a Vette run $1500 bucks.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 PM

'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Welcome to all things AMG.

Not sure about the group buy. And $3k is probably more on the lower end.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E39 M5, E71 X6M, W211 E63 AMG, W218 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Skizz
I added AR long tubes and an EC tune within the last month or so. I have 200 cel cats with x-pipe, stock resonator and stock mufflers. All done by Eurocharged.

The sound is awesome, imho. I wasn't looking for loud, and it was a concern of mine that it would be too much after reading here and on the W204 forums. Hence, leaving resonator and stock mufflers. But we don't have the C mufflers, which some call megaphones. On my E, it growls just a little more at idle and under light throttle, but the difference is significant under WOT and heavier throttle. Start up bark is louder, but I live in a gated community and have no issues, not even starting it in my garage. I didn't want my car to sound preposterous, and I think it's damn near perfect in my set up. Some may want louder and you could certainly delete resonator, and/or not do the 200 cel cats. I wanted my car to sound like what it is; a bad *** four-door luxury AMG with a great motor that can fly when you want it to. I feel like I have that now.

I had ROW boxes and Afe drop-ins when we base-lined it on their dynojet. Also have had the headbolts, lifters and all other peripherals done along with weistec catch-can and weistec pulleys. Also new plugs, but besides that stuff, no mods. WHP was 422 base-line and was 475 after tubes and tune. I have my chart at the office and can't remember exact tq numbers, but gains were similar, the tq delta being a little less, I think. I can post that tomorrow. There may still be a little left on the table, but I wanted to keep it realistic for how I drive and maintain it and not push it to the bleeding edge. There are compromises in both ends.

It certainly drives different, in a good way, with throttle response crisper and when on the highway at WOT, it just screams as it keeps pulling and pulling.

Tubes and tune ain't cheap, but would I do it again? Yep. Now if I can pass inspection next month, I'll be happy.

how much did you pay for the ar headers? Debating between mbh and ar at the moment..