W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

eBay OBX/fab-tech long tube headers and engine mounts thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
cls55 amg
Reuse your stock gaskets for the headers to the head. I bought new copper header nuts and reused the sock studs. The eBay kit comes with everything you need. I would suggest ordering that first and installing it and then you can start to make decisions on if you want to get better exhaust clamps or have portions of it welded.
This is one of those KISS situations where you can just order the kit from eBay and go from there. Try not to over think it.
Also I would recommend getting the kit with the Cats on already. It's loud as **** with the catless kit.
The following users liked this post:
Crissus (03-07-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:43 AM

cls55 amg
Ok guys, I just got done applying some exhaust putty to the slip fit joints and repositioning the clamps and I'm very happy with the result. I still plan on adding more putty and changing the clamps to some better ones but I've eliminated most of the leaks.

Now that I've heard it I'm probably going to leave as is and not add any cats or anything to quiet it down. To me it's perfect.
It's quiet almost like stock at light throttle and when you lay into it a bit all hell breaks loose and it trumpets the sound of the 55k.
The fixed pulley helps keep it nice and quiet too as I don't have to give it much gas to get it moving as well. I'm very happy with it right now.

Video taken with Windows down and sunroof back.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Did your idle change any before/after? After long tubes my idle got chunky and a little rough, but then it smooths out after its warmed up. I'm going to swap front O2 sensors and see if it helps.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 PM

cls55 amg
No idle changes at all. After the new tune Tony managed to smooth out some parts of the previous tune as well and she's running great.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes CLS 63 2008 w219
Header install

Originally Posted by romeomikehotel
Hey guys I finally got my eBay long tubes in yesterday and I mentioned previously that I would do a write up on the process so this thread will catalogue that as well as replacing my engine mounts. Unfortunately today I encountered code p0730 and my transmission went into limp mode so I now have another rather large issue to deal with so my progress on this thread may be slower than I would have hoped for but I'll be sure to keep it updated.

As for the headers, they are OBX long tubes typically seen on eBay. I chose to buy my set from fab-tech as he was willing to work with me a little more on the price after a little persuasion than the eBay sellers. Though they are listed on fab-techs site as a house brand they stamped with the OBX logo. Obviously there are better quality options out there but for my needs and what I was looking to spend these for the bill.

I purchased Corteco engine mounts a week or so ago and they arrived and were the wrong ones so they will be going back. I just got off the phone with the local parts store in town and they have Bilstein engine mounts in stock so I'll give those a shot (I haven't searched yet if anyone else has had success with these yet) but I'm optomistic.

As for the headers, all I can say for now is they look nice.

How did the piece in the back connect to the resonator since it has no flange?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Connects by band clamps
Old 04-28-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subies
So worthless without a before and after dyno.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Past dyno's show 45whp or more. Butt dyno numbers are about that.