Sponsored by:

What washing products do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 / 13 C63
What washing products do you guys use?

The weather has warmed up and time to wash the cars again.

What products are you guys using? Can they picked up at stores like Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys or the like?

Just looking for exterior wash products.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 215 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I like Meguirs products. I've used the car wash and quick detailed for the paint and other products for the interior.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bunch of TT's
I've been using the Meguiars Ultimate wash & wax for a number of years now. Helps to bead water off as a bonus. I don't use any quick detailers as it's the same energy as washing. Grab a nice micro fiber towel to go with it. A bucket with a grid on the bottom comes in handy to keep crud sediments at the bottom & off the rag when you re soak it.

While I'm at it, I use:
1z Einszett Cockpit Premium for interior care like the dash/screen/cluster etc. I also use Aerospace 303 protectant - solid product.
1z Einszett Leather care AFTER I wipe the seats clean with a slightly damp towel to lift unseen dirt.

If I use a certain product on one of my rides, I usually stick with those brands to it. But for car washing, I wash all of them with Meguiars Ultimate wash & wax (yellow)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine:

Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz.: Automotive

It may sound like a gimmick, but it's the real deal. Being able to do a 1-bucket wash inside my garage with just a gallon of water is pretty badass. If you have a 5-gallon bucket with a lid, you can have a wash ready to go for the rest of the year. Here's how I do it:

- Get 1-2 gallons of water from my reverse osmosis system (extremely hard tap water here).
- Mix in the appropriate amount of the product (just a couple of ounces).
- Throw several clean microfiber towel into the bucket.
- Take one rag, wring only slightly, fold twice, and wash one section of the car at a time.
- Take a dry microfiber towel and dry the section you just washed.
- Move on to the next section, flipping and folding the washing towel to one of the clean sides.
- When that towel is dirty, do NOT put it back into the wash bucket. Throw it into the discard pile. I have a second bucket for this.
- Grab your next clean towel from the wash bucket and continue.
- I sacrifice one towel as the "pre-wash" for the really dirty sections. I go along the sides, fenders, rear, and then the bugs on the front to remove the majority of the dirt. Then, I go over the sections again with the clean towels when I get there.
- Heavily-soiled towels get set aside to live out the rest of their miserable lives cleaning the engine bay or exhaust tips.
- Lightly soiled towels get rinsed, then ran through the washing machine using liquid detergent that is free of perfumes and dye.
- Put the lid on your wash bucket. Since no dirty towel was put in there, your wash bucket with rags is ready for your next wash.

I typically use 4 towels for washing and two for drying. Costco has large bales of decent quality microfiber towels for like $15. That lasts me about a year. When I get a new bale of towels, I throw them all in the dryer for an hour to get rid of the lint. When I grab one for use, I rip the tag off, that way I know which ones are new and fresh.

To make the Optimum No Rinse even more versatile, it can be mixed with water in a spray bottle and used as a quick detailer or even a clay bar lubricant. It works for the painted body, wheels, and even glass.

If you live in an area where you can't really wash your car with a hose, then this will be the product for you. It would be great for California or any drought-stricken area, or if you just want to conserve water. Personally, when I'm washing my car with this, I turn my water hose on and let it run down the driveway just to assert my Alpha-male dominance over all the betas in my neighborhood. Only a true badass flagrantly wastes water in the middle of the desert.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denroll:
CarbonHan (06-08-2016), Minty Fresh (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
I stopped allowing car washes to use soap on my car that blue bubbly stuff is so powerful it strips all the layers of your wax right off the car. Horrible for your paint and clear coat on wheels, everything.

I get my car hand waxed once every 2 months. So it's always protected. Every week I have it washed with just high pressure water. Yes, that's it. The layers of wax protect and the dirt and grime just drips right off the car. I have the wash guys use my own plush microfiber drying towel and finish her off with some quick detail spray. Just for an added layer of carnuba.

every 3 or 4 washes I have them clean the Interior. Inside of my cars are always clean.

That's it.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I've considered ONR because we turn off our well in winter, and the hose water comes from the well. Yours is the best write-up I've seen on how to use it. Next winter will be ONR time.

When the well is on and the hoses are working, I use a pressure washer with the foam cannon attachment. Just a little Meguiars car wash in the foam cannon is enough to make the whole car look like it's covered in shaving cream. Hand wipe the whole car, then a light rinse to clean off the soap. The pressure washer gets serious use on the wheels. You can get Meguiars car wash at all the usual car stores.

ETA: If you plan to detail your car with clay, polish, and sealant, however, the general consensus is to use Dawn dishwashing liquid as your car wash soap that day. It strips off most of the old stuff so you can start clean before you wax.

Last edited by Minty Fresh; 03-09-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 182 Likes on 86 Posts
W211 E55, Nissan Z31/R30/R31/D21
I also use Meguiars wash and wax. I use the two bucket method. When done, I drive the car through the neighborhood to get the water out of the rotors etc and then dry with an absorber. Lastly, I follow up with black spray detailer. I also use Griot's garage glass cleaner.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Chemical Guys products. They have it all and the guys at work wonder if I waxed my car last night since it's so glossy. Many good products those guys have. On Black Friday they have some seriously good deals.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Quick_De...icants_s/6.htm

I have pretty much each one of those on that link above. My favorite is the speed wipe. I keep that in the car for a quick detail if needed. Cleans everything.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Detailing Gear

For years, I have stuck with Griot's. I usually just order everything online.
You will find that even though you wash your car regularly, using some paint clay will really get the contaminants off of your paint and leave a clean foundation for the wax.
If you go on Griot's website you will see that Richard is a car freak and has products and gadgets to clean every inch of your car, inside and out !!

Good Luck. StevieG
Old 06-07-2016, 02:49 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Denroll
Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Shine:

To make the Optimum No Rinse even more versatile, it can be mixed with water in a spray bottle and used as a quick detailer or even a clay bar lubricant. It works for the painted body, wheels, and even glass.
I finally got my two buckets, my grit guards, and the ONR and fresh towels are on their way from Amazon. My car was professionally detailed last week, and the detailer said ONR is the absolute best way to wash a car, even if you have a hose and plenty of water.

Have you tried the Optimum Wash and Wax? Would that be overkill to have the wax mixed in every time you wash?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
Originally Posted by Max.H
I stopped allowing car washes to use soap on my car that blue bubbly stuff is so powerful it strips all the layers of your wax right off the car. Horrible for your paint and clear coat on wheels, everything.

I get my car hand waxed once every 2 months. So it's always protected. Every week I have it washed with just high pressure water. Yes, that's it. The layers of wax protect and the dirt and grime just drips right off the car. I have the wash guys use my own plush microfiber drying towel and finish her off with some quick detail spray. Just for an added layer of carnuba.

every 3 or 4 washes I have them clean the Interior. Inside of my cars are always clean.

That's it.
I try to keep soap use to a minimum too, and finish with a detail spray. No absolute right way to do this but lots of clean microfiber towels is a must.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by Minty Fresh
Have you tried the Optimum Wash and Wax? Would that be overkill to have the wax mixed in every time you wash?
I had the OptiCoat sealant put on my car. My detail guy said the Wash & Wax is for cars that don't have it, or if it doesn't get waxed regularly.
The following users liked this post:
Minty Fresh (06-07-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
former 2006 CLS55 AMG owner (124k miles)
Adam's Polishes are the best by far!!! and if you follow them on social media they give out discounts like once or twice a week
Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax - 32 oz.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:24 AM

2006 E55 AMG
I did my first ONR wash last night in my garage. Everything worked out and the car looked decent, but the towels got pretty dirty even though the car was relatively clean. If the car is really dirty in the future, I will use a hose. Doing the wheels is no fun at all.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
Maguiers and mothers only