Sponsored by:

"Free" Cooling Mod to Reduce Heat Soak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
"Free" Cooling Mod to Reduce Heat Soak

This is far from a mod. More of a trick which involves Turing the heat and fans to full blast.

Feel free to tell me if I am nuts (I have thick skin) but no reason to believe this won't help when running WOT!

Run your car hard. When you park your car, open the hood and let it sit 15 min. Look at the temp gauge. Usually won't go down.

Run it hard again. Park it, pop the hood, turn the key where all the accessories work, and turn up the heat and fan to max. Come back in 15 minutes. My goes down (cools off) by at least 1/3 to 1/2 . This occurs because the heat get sucked out of the engine more rapidly.

Any reason to believe this would not help with heat soak (1/4 mile runs or "pulls")?

I recognize if this indeed helps it is undesirable in warmer climates...

Again, tell me if I am nuts...
Old 03-27-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
When you turn on the heat, the extra coolant from the heater valve circuit opens up into the return for the radiator cooling circuit. All you're doing is is temporarily cooling the radiator coolant by adding more total fluid. Once it runs through the motor once, it will be at the same temp.

This circuit is not connected to the low temperature side of the inter-cooler circuit, and will have zero effect on heat soak.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
When you turn on the heat, the extra coolant from the heater valve circuit opens up into the return for the radiator cooling circuit. All you're doing is is temporarily cooling the radiator coolant by adding more total fluid. Once it runs through the motor once, it will be at the same temp.

This circuit is not connected to the low temperature side of the inter-cooler circuit, and will have zero effect on heat soak.
Thanks for the clarification (and telling me I am nuts!). I should probably delete the thread!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Well if you don't care to much about heat in the cabin you could: hook your heater core into the h/e system and separate it from your cooling system. Someone did this and turned on the AC with the climate controll on 90 and the core would cool from the AC compressor. Poor mans killer chiller