Sponsored by:

Quest for lower AIT...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E55, Granturismo, F430, 993, E39, Jag
Quest for lower AIT...

Now that the larger HE and Bosch 010 pump is installed, I'm looking at lowering the AIT temps. There are a few choices ranging from trunk tanks, under hood tanks and split cooling. What is everyone's preferred choice from efficiency, to DIYer and expense?
It would be good to have a list of vendors with logs for references.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
clk63, cls55, ml63, (w210) E55
This has been discussed and debated for over a decade, for God's sake? Once you start adding boost on the M113K......you will quickly surpass the factory's maxed out intercooler efficiency. Period. End of story. Your journey of "lower IAT's" should end where you opened your thread................

Originally Posted by djempirE55
Now that the larger HE and Bosch 010 pump is installed.
Go no further and enjoy the vehicle. Why? Because a lot of us has asked the same damn question and have been told the same damn thing I'm telling you. Did we listen? No. Did we benefit from not listening? No. It's a very time consuming and expensive rabbit hole you don't want to fall into. Got it?

Are you stubborn?

Fair enough. Welcome to the club.

First off,
Split the damn system. Remove coolant from the intercooler system and replace with pure distilled water. Maybe add some Redline Wetter or Royal Purple coolant additive. Don't go stupid with it.

Second off, Reservoir tanks:

1) Trunk tanks are good for track days WHEN using ice
2) Trunk tanks add more fluid.....but take longer to cool (no ice)
3) Large trunk tanks add a lot of weight. We don't need more weight. Period.
4) Engine reservoir tanks are small and absorb engine heat
5) Small reservoirs need coolant lines on the bottom so flow does not cause air pockets near cap.
6) ^^^^^^^Regardless of what you choose.....try to use larger fittings and hoses so upgrades later will be easy.

Third off, Heat exchangers:

1) You're good. Move on ( The intercooler is the problem...not the contact area for ambient temps to attempt to cool off the heated intercooler water. Why? Its called diminishing returns. There is a point when you increase boost (13+psi....ish) and the hot compressed air will not get cool enough flowing through the inefficient intercooler core that is using above ambient water. Period.)

Fourth off,
Meth:

1) Just do it. Everybody else is and you're a loser if you don't
2) 75% water/ 25% meth ratio
3) @13 gph worth of nozzles is safe for a nicely modded M113K
4) Nozzle locations? Let's get to that when you are ready to install.
5) Use at LEAST a 2+gallon meth tank. You're going to use it.
6) Go simple and use a pressure switch for activation of meth/water
7) DO NOT TUNE FOR METH/WATER.

Honestly, skip the above 1-3 sections and go straight to the meth. Nobody gives a damn about your teeth when you are racing? Oh, wait....wrong meth.

Meth/Water is the ONLY FIX TO OUR M113K ISSUE WITH HIGH IAT's.

Food for thought:
95 degree IAT's pulls 3 degrees of timing
115 degree IAT's pulls 6 degrees of timing
145 degree IAT's pulls 9 degrees of timing
180 degree IAT's pulls 12 degrees of timing (I believe?)
Over 220 degree IAT's shuts off supercharger (I believe?)

You need a list of vendors and logs? Try the damn search option for MBWorld. Welcome to hell, djempirE55.

Last edited by EREBUS; 04-19-2016 at 02:27 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by EREBUS:
CerBErusM113 (05-02-2016), compaddict (05-01-2016), GunMoto (07-13-2016), Max.H (04-30-2016), nanayaw6 (04-28-2016), seanol (07-23-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Ha! That's it in a nutshell.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E55, Granturismo, F430, 993, E39, Jag
Originally Posted by EREBUS
This has been discussed and debated for over a decade, for God's sake? Once you start adding boost on the M113K......you will quickly surpass the factory's maxed out intercooler efficiency. Period. End of story. Your journey of "lower IAT's" should end where you opened your thread................

Go no further and enjoy the vehicle. Why? Because a lot of us has asked the same damn question and have been told the same damn thing I'm telling you. Did we listen? No. Did we benefit from not listening? No. It's a very time consuming and expensive rabbit hole you don't want to fall into. Got it?

Are you stubborn?

First off,
Split the damn system. Remove coolant from the intercooler system and replace with pure distilled water. Maybe add some Redline Wetter or Royal Purple coolant additive. Don't go stupid with it.

5) Small reservoirs need coolant lines on the bottom so flow does not cause air pockets near cap.
6) ^^^^^^^Regardless of what you choose.....try to use larger fittings and hoses so upgrades later will be easy.

1) You're good. Move on ( The intercooler is the problem...not the contact area for ambient temps to attempt to cool off the heated intercooler water. Why? Its called diminishing returns. There is a point when you increase boost (13+psi....ish) and the hot compressed air will not get cool enough flowing through the inefficient intercooler core that is using above ambient water. Period.)

Fourth off,
Meth:

Honestly, skip the above 1-3 sections and go straight to the meth. Nobody gives a damn about your teeth when you are racing? Oh, wait....wrong meth.

Food for thought:

You need a list of vendors and logs? Try the damn search option for MBWorld. Welcome to hell, djempirE55.
Awesome feedback dude!
I understand the cooling factor is a big pain in the a$$ since there is little return on the investment. I'm a big fan of meth and totally agree going that route. I used a more aggressive (75-100% meth) on my e92 with good results. Any reason going with a lower meth/H2O ratio with the 55?
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
He laid it all out, lol

Again searching you will find that too much meth and it gets very rich and since no tuner will take out fuel for meth, you will lose power.

There's no tuning for meth, no tuner will do it.

Again you can test out very small nozzles and use more meth etc

Usually more water and less meth works very well for cooling, just make sure your timing is still good and you are not extinguishing the spark with too much water
Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Too much meth % will show no cooling gains. My testing, which jives with other's findings, is somewhere around 75-80% water works best on our cars. 50/50 showed almost zero cooling ability.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
50/50 will cool but will also lower afrs a lot unless the tuner is willing to take out the fuel
Old 04-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
This post right here is the most informative single post I have ever seen for 55k!!!!

Very well put.

Are you stubborn?

First off,

Fourth off,
Meth:

Food for thought:

The following users liked this post:
EREBUS (05-01-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55

Are you stubborn?

First off,

Fourth off,
Meth:

Food for thought:

LMAO EREBUS. That was the most straight up post I've seen in awhile. I like it. Thanks for posting.
EREBUS (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Forget the HE.

Split. Killer Chiller with trunk tank. Meth. DONE.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subies
It seems every attempt at deleting the old charge air cooler and making upgraded options have all failed.

I guess meth is the best bang for the buck. Where the hell would i find space for a 2-3 gallon tank?

Ready to talk nozzle(S) location

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-01-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Food for thought:

Anyone know the amount of HP that is lost to each degree of timing that is pulled?
Max.H (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Originally Posted by C32owner
Food for thought:

Anyone know the amount of HP that is lost to each degree of timing that is pulled?
Its a bit different... further than 6° pulling requires also a coolant temperature of over 100°C. However, still 6° is massive. You feel it and you can measure it. On top the ECU enrichens the mixture further with higher IATs.
I wonder if ECU tunes could at least remove the 3° timing pull when used with 93octane pump gas? And maybe alter the 6° to 3-4°? I think it should work without knock with higher octane gas and maybe one step colder plugs...
Whats your take on that?
Old 05-01-2016, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
For my meth setup i used the windshield washer resv. Holds about 1.5g if I recall well. Hidden and out of the way. Notice on dash once gets low.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by 95ONE
It seems every attempt at deleting the old charge air cooler and making upgraded options have all failed.
My apologies, but I have to disagree. I have a set up that proves your opinion wrong. The catch? It's the money you are willing to spend and the hack job to your engine bay esthetics you have to be willing to sacrifice to actually contain IATs during WOT. Is it worth it? Depends. Value? Not really. The mundane run-of-the-mill CTS-V power plant can destroy us with 1/4 of the cost in upgrades compared to our M113K.

The flip side? M113Ks are special. Even if its stock......it's capable of embarrassing a sh*t ton of cars that claim to be "monsters". That and that alone makes it worth the investment to embarrass unsuspected victims. Then again, I'm a d*ck like that. I enjoy destroying dudes driving their mid life crisis flings.

I guess meth is the best bang for the buck.
Your guess is correct. I guess?

Where the hell would i find space for a 2-3 gallon tank?
Uh, trunk? You know, where the full size spare is located. Oh, wait. lol

You can, hypothetically, have enough room for an 5 gallon intercooler ice tank and 2 1/2 gallon meth/water tank. Using your windshield wiper fluid reservoir is another option. That alone is over a gallon?

Ready to talk nozzle(S) location
Really? Are you going to listen to what I'm about to say? If so, hold on......I'm about to call out years of bullsh*t advice. Yeah, I'm a rebel like that.

Let's do this........

Every nozzle location we have been using is wrong....ish. Why? Because we all have tricked the ECU to believe you have actually dropped the IATs. Spraying the IAT sensor with meth/water is not how you are suppose to do it. Shocker? Please. You're tricking the system and forcing high IAT air to your combustion. Solution?

1) Leave your IAT sensor in its factory location
2) Purchase a second IAT sensor and install it either in the left or right surge tank (do I need to tell you to connect new IAT sensor to wire/harness and leave factory location sensor unplugged? Please do )
3) Step up the GPH nozzles to your proper needs. (16 psi on 5.4L @ 6800 rpms is 18+ gph)
4) Place twin (at least) 6 gph nozzles at intercooler y split....one per side.
5) Install check valves for your meth/water system. No? Enjoy your hydro locked engine, then.

(There is, of course, spraying 3-5 gph before supercharger option that helps increase boost and somewhat attempt to drop a few degrees of IATs. Not worth arguing about, but proven. Your call.......not mine.)

Still scratching your head? Let me help you understand. Everybody is spraying 3-4 inches before the IAT sensor because that is our only readily available location option. How about you move the sensor to a place that allows a TRUE reading of IATs after meth/water?

Oh wait, you have a killer chiller? Chilling an intercooler is pure genius until the boost created heat surpasses factory intercooler efficiency and the hot air blows past the struggling core. There is, of course, A/C shutting off during WOT that one has to deal with using a chiller killer. My bad, that's when you inject meth/water? 3-4 inches before the IAT sensor, right?

Last edited by EREBUS; 05-02-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: after re-reading my post....it seemed a little harsh. lol
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
I like the idea of the second IAT sensor

2) Purchase a second IAT sensor and install it either in the left or right surge tank (do I need to tell you to connect new IAT sensor to wire/harness and leave factory location sensor unplugged? Please do )
Is it stock IAT sensor or an aftermarket one like zeitronix?
I ask because the stock one is held in by the plastic clips so curious to see what bung/fitting works best with the stock temp sensor.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM

Subies
Originally Posted by black06c230
For my meth setup i used the windshield washer resv. Holds about 1.5g if I recall well. Hidden and out of the way. Notice on dash once gets low.
I guess this is the best option. Specifically liking the the notice in the dash. I will not run anything to my trunk. lots of reasons.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 PM

Subies
My apologies, but I have to disagree. I have a set up that proves your opinion wrong.
Fantastic. I did a ton of searching and reading about a year ago. Not one damn example with actual data that showed any improvement. 3 or 4 failures and disappointments. Not even one good before and after dyno. Please be specific and describe how it improved your power. I might actually make this improvement to my car if you can show me proof that power increase is worth the significant investment of time and money. No sarcasm at all. I truly hope you can point me to your thread that I might have missed or good strong data supporting solid horsepower gains.

Really? Are you going to listen to what I'm about to say? If so, hold on......I'm about to call out years of bullsh*t advice. Yeah, I'm a rebel like that.

Let's do this........
Ha. I know where you're coming from with this statement. I completely understand. I'm always happy to listen to someone who's, "been there, done that."

That was all very helpfull advice. Thank you. no scratching my head here. I get it. I will take every bit of it into consideration. The parts about what mixture may or may not work was most helpful.

I very much appreciate the time you took to answer. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by C32owner
Food for thought:

Is there a way to turn off the knock retard? At least just for a quick run? If you unplug the knock sensor what does that do? just leave you in full retard?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Originally Posted by Max.H
Is there a way to turn off the knock retard? At least just for a quick run? If you unplug the knock sensor what does that do? just leave you in full retard?
Never go full ....
Max.H (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by nanayaw6
Is it stock IAT sensor or an aftermarket one like zeitronix?
I ask because the stock one is held in by the plastic clips so curious to see what bung/fitting works best with the stock temp sensor.
I used a stock sensor and had the fabricator weld different width aluminum spacers to create a lip for the sensor to clamp to. Funny thing, though.......my sensor was held in by JB Weld during the Texas Mile event. lol

An after market sensor would be a MUCH better option so you could avoid using a fabricator!

We've been limited to how much meth/water we can spray due to the IAT sensor (and MAP sensor) so close to the intercooler. Meth/water can drop IATs lower than any intercooler set-up can even attempt. Moving the IAT sensor allows us to do what other platforms have been doing all along with meth/water.
The following 2 users liked this post by EREBUS:
Max.H (05-03-2016), nanayaw6 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by black06c230
Forget the HE.

Split. Killer Chiller with trunk tank. Meth. DONE.
What IAT's do you see in the 1/2 mile and longer with outside temps 85+ degrees? I'm curious? I would have 57 degree IAT's at staging (using ice) and would blow past 130 degrees with 12 gph meth/water nozzles before I get the 1/2 mile mark with track temps @85. (15-16psi)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Probably leaves you with a broken #8 piston that makes for a conversation evoking paperweight.

Originally Posted by Max.H
Max.H (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Probably leaves you with a broken #8 piston that makes for a conversation evoking paperweight.
I have one that I will gladly mail to anyone if their interested.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Jeezus christ, ok good to know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quest for lower AIT...