W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

why is my car so sloppy on the highway sways like a boat ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2021 | 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Not that tires an issue here but why two different brand tires front to back? Tires and tread should always match, at least that's' what i have always learnt.
Old 07-27-2021 | 01:52 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
to add on...if bushings have a crack in them...they'll allow sway or movement which will cause tracking issues. very recently i've replaced all of my bushings and ball joints and all of my annoyances of movement have been resolved...the only annoyance is that now that the bushings have broken in, they're softer than I prefer. that first 2 days after install were awesome, and suspension and steering response was great without being "stiff". i still have a jungle gym noise which I now realize are my sway bar bushings as everything else has been replaced.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-20-2022 | 11:24 PM

Mercedes c230
Bearings

Originally Posted by 06cls55amg
ive had this problem way before i replaced the original parts with the new camber bolts etc etc. the lower controls arms i pushed in towards the engine and made sure the grooves of the camber bolts went into the 2 tabs in the bushing before i tightened the nut.
i only recall the control arm bushings having these tabs...
What about your hub & bearings

Old 11-12-2023 | 10:01 PM

C300
Originally Posted by 06cls55amg
alright so ive replaced both front airmatic struts with known good ones, and both rear shocks. EVERY front end suspension wear item is new as well then had alignment done as well as front tires dismounted, rotated and balanced . thru some wurth hhs on sway bar bushings as well, and new engine mounts.

The problem with my car is that on the highway especially after 80mph and under hard acceleration the cars body starts to sway left to right..... the faster i go the more violent it gets.

im officially out of ideas other than possibly bad sway bar bushings? car is lowered an inch via star ( shows no faults for airmatics either). seems to be getting worse instead of better even after all these new parts.

So I have a Renntech E63 with the complete brake system and various other mods. I am running 20" Vossen wheels ...
With the previous tires I had excellent handling on par with my modded GLC43. Those original tires were 255/35R20 front and 295/25R20 Rear. I stayed with the same front fitment size... however when I changed the rear tires to continentals 295/35R20 I started having strange boat like swaying at the rear end dangerous floating action in the rear where several times it became obvious that the car wasn't safe to drive this way. So apparently there are tires that move around on their sidewalls too much to be safe on certain applications. I know some people will say that it's a suspension component however this is inaccurate as my car is a mint example with upgraded suspension. So after discussing this with my tech team we discovered that apparently this is an issue wherein it's not just the tires but a computer issue as well since the active rear suspension can't compute the circumference of the none OEM tires and rims. My suggestion is to have the computer updated to adjust for the larger diameters.
​​​​​​
​​​
​​
Old 11-13-2023 | 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Yeps, there can be big differences in sidewall strength/support. On another I noticed the same when I used some Uniroyal Rainsport 3, had very good grip in wet conditions, but was too comfy due to soft sidewalls.