Sponsored by:

Oil change place messed up...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Oil change place messed up...

Went to get my oil changed as I'm leaving town for a month and the wife will be driving the beast. I bought my own oil filter and 2 drain plugs for the change. I explained that it has 2 plugs and both need to be pulled etc. I get the car back and I try to start it and it doesn't turn all the way over the first try. Second try it starts and as I'm driving away I see the unused drain plug on my passenger seat. I flip a u turn and they stated they put 9 quarts of oil in. So it probably was over filled by a few quarts. They redid the oil change correctly and as I'm driving home I see some burnt oil coming from the motor. I take a look and notice some oil coming from my valve cover seals and leaked down onto the headers. My seals were a little leaky anyway but not to this extent. Should I be worried about the rear main seal or anything else now?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
sad to hear...

man thats sad what you went thru for a simple oil change! if the seals were not leaking that badly before, i would imagine they may have "dropped" some oil while placing it into the oil filler cap. if you pour too fast with out the proper air to move out, then the hole is "blocked" and oil gets poured out onto the valve cover and on down to the headers. i would say if you can wipe the headers once cooled down and allow the rest get burned off, see if everything gets back to "normal". i would not believe they had to do anything to the valve covers and just by hurrying or whatever, just spilled some oil onto the valve cover and headers. i hope thats what happened. i always to my own oil changes and pour the oil right in where the filter goes with the filter removed of course. that hole is huge and you dont run the risk of making a mess pouring oil back into the engine. hope all is well very soon!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
The garage may have damaged your engine.Time will tell after you clean off all the oil you can see on the engine . 2 quarts is a lot of oil to over fill. And starting it up will push oil in to places it should not be in thus damaging seals Cost my friend a new engine , and a radiator,with clutch included.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 689 Likes on 501 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by green1212
... pour the oil right in where the filter goes...

That's a good idea.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:05 PM

04 E55 AMG
Thanks for the help guys. I'll continue to monitor my seals. The beast seems to be running good today. Hopefully it wasn't long enough to do permanent damage.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Unless you really understand these autos, it's Always better to have service work accomplished by an MB dealer or an indy shop experienced with these machines. Stay away from quick-lube operations. When you break these cars you will be rudely reminded that they were almost $110K when new.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:15 PM

04 E55 AMG
I normally do all my own maintenance. I'm away for school for 1 year so was only back for a weekend. Had to get it done and yes, I paid the price. Never again will I not do my own oil change.