W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Another suspension question - I think I have a unique problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016 | 11:24 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Another suspension question - I think I have a unique problem!

I've read all around the forums and have not been able to find someone describing the same issue that my car has. When parked overnight, about 75% of the time the front driver's side will drop to the point that it's tucking tire. But this is only an intermittent problem! If it were a leak I would assume that it would happen 100% of the time, right? Is it possible that there is a valve or a sensor that is causing the car to release the air in driver's side bag?

I also believe that the issue is causing my compressor to go bad, as it has begun to take a long time to air the car back up.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 08-20-2016 | 07:35 PM

2004 E55
your strut has a leak. this problem can be intermittent. you develop a leak in the air spring and depending on how the rubber is sitting and where exactly the leak developed, it can and does seal itself until the next time when the leak is uncovered.

a leaking strut will cause compressor failure, but these compressors are also a maintenance item with a piston ring that degrades and loses its sealing properties. time and/or heat (such as when constantly running on to keep the vehicle at the correct height) causes failure.

heres a test you can try. turn car on and wait until its lifted to its correct height. after its lifted to the correct height use a floor jack to jack up the right front or left front depending on where you suspect the leak is. depending on severity of the leak you may be able to hear it leak.

my opinion, depending on mileage. 2 struts, compressor and relay. done.